The New York Times Crossword Puzzle thread

DaveSchmidt said:

BTW, it’s a fun one, folks. At least I thought so.

I didn't like it. All those shaded squares? Too busy. 

And, unless I made an error, the word "sea" appears in both 44 an 81 down. Not cool. 

Yeah, I just did a puzzle - might have been from April, not sure, that had "seem" in two answers. Once as "seem" and the other as "seemto", or something like that.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

And, unless I made an error, the word "sea" appears in both 44 an 81 down. Not cool.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The formalistic threshold that fun must meet for you to have some, from Word Association to limericks, has long been apparent. My recommendation was for us couthless slobs.

DaveSchmidt said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

And, unless I made an error, the word "sea" appears in both 44 an 81 down. Not cool.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The formalistic threshold that fun must meet for you to have some, from Word Association to limericks, has long been apparent. My recommendation was for us couthless slobs.

I think I’ve been insulted but I’m not sure. I know I’ve been closely observed, though, and for that I’m flattered. 

Without close observation, I never could’ve blown the lid off that } in 83D.

I got everything, except I'm not quite sure if I found the diamond. I thought I did, but now I'm thinking no.

And I didn't notice a mistake in the online version.

Oh, wait. Are you talking about the } character? My eyesight is barely good enough to distinguish it. I thought it was a paren. Anyway, that error is in the online version.

I suspect that TC stole the diamond and it is in GB’s room. Yes?

They really screwed up that lower right corner "room" unless the screw up was somehow part of the mystery.

jimmurphy said:

I suspect that TC stole the diamond and it is in GB’s room. Yes?

TC, yes. GB, no.

drummerboy said:

I got everything, except I'm not quite sure if I found the diamond. I thought I did, but now I'm thinking no.

I needed this hint from someone else: “Did you get the inner ring?”

DaveSchmidt said:

I needed this hint from someone else: “Did you get the inner ring?”

Yeah, I realized that there are 2 rooms to the west, but did not get the inner ring until you posted it. 

oh nooooo. The times crossword page is all meshugenah.

I strongly object to some of the clues in the upper right corner in Wed's puzzle..

The corner with half a surname in it? I kind of liked it.

DaveSchmidt said:

oops. I meant upper left.

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

oops. I meant upper left.

No SPOILERS!!  I won't look at it until lunchtime!

Don’t panic, Mr. T. The clue itself tells you there will be a surname.

Thursday's was pretty clever. I liked it.

drummerboy said:

I did too! Took me forever, but worth it.

Anyone play  vertex? How can a new puzzle be selected?

jimmurphy said:

drummerboy said:

I almost had to call in SWAT backup for help.

DaveSchmidt said:

jimmurphy said:

drummerboy said:

I almost had to call in SWAT backup for help.

Yeah, I made one small but critical error and it made it impossible. I won't say what it was but it was key to the solution. But, I finally figured it out and finished. Was really fun. 

mtierney said:

Anyone play  vertex? How can a new puzzle be selected?

Bump

What the hell is this Thursday ****???

Oh. That wasn't too bad.

drummerboy said:

What the hell is this Thursday ****???

Fun! but easy. 

Yeah, it was pretty easy. But my first reaction upon seeing the across clues was - WTF?

I didn't think it was much fun, though I did beat my previous Thursday best time (the app keeps track) by over 2 minutes, so there was that! 

Yeah, once you figured out the trick, which wasn't too hard, the puzzle was a lot easier than your average Thursday puzzle. Thursday puzzles can be a real bear sometimes.

Finished, and pretty quickly, but could not figure out how the clues for the themers related. Had to check with Rex.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.