Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news & Bible verses

Mtierney,

Whether you understand or approve, women have been fighting for equal rights for ages.  These women are not radicals.

I imagine, in fact, that a very large number of women who would eliminate access to abortion would be on a plane to Canada in a minute in case of an unplanned pregnancy.

So, if there is any violence, it will be because of the efforts of people such as you to keep women down.

All of a sudden, they're concerned about threats to people at their homes and businesses. 

mtierney said:

“Radical pro-abortion groups have already carried out attacks on pro-life counseling centers and there have been suspicious incidents around the country at churches. Those same groups have promised much more of this in the summer and fall, and are already organizing “Days of Rage.”

Has mtierney ever once expressed concern about the many acts of violence, including murder, perpetrated by anti-abortion people over the decades?

She really has no shame.

mtierney -- as someone who claims to worry about politically-motivated violence, I trust you're watching the 1/6 committee hearings? They're establishing a direct line between Trump's incitement and resulting violence.

Al Schmidt, one of three city commissioners on the Philadelphia County Board of Elections in 2020, testifying:

“After the president tweeted about me, my wife and I received threats that named our children, included my home address and images of my home, and threated to put their ‘heads on spikes,’” Mr. Schmidt said. “What was once a fairly obscure administrative job is now one where lunatics are threatening to murder your children.”

Even after the failed attempt at Kavanaugh’s home, (BTW, a Wisconsin judge was killed last week) not one of you has shown concern about our justices becoming targets of violence, (making those inclined to violence, responders, as it were) with the encouragement to follow through with death threats. You are all co-conspirators in the vile terrorism plot against the lives of our Supreme Court Justices, their families, and the destruction of  their homes and properties.

Making laws  and legal decisions, designed by, or for, whatever disgruntled group sees an opportunity to control legal outcome, by any means, is homeland terrorism.

mtierney said:

Even after the failed attempt at Kavanaugh home, (a Wisconsin judge was killed last week) not one of you has shown concern about our justices becoming targets of violence, (making those inclined to violence, responders, as it were) with the encouragement to follow through with death threats. You are all co-conspirators in the vile terrorism plot against the lives of our Supreme Court Justices, their families, and the destruction of  their homes and properties.

Making laws  and legal decisions, designed by whatever disgruntled group sees an opportunity to control legal outcome, is homeland terrorism.

Self awareness has never been one of your strong suits.

I guess i haven't reacted as strongly as i might have.  Among the reasons:  i feel sure that the justices will receive the best in security support. 

Also, i guess i'm a little jaded after all the ugly threats of violence in recent years against election officials, poll workers, school board members, public health nurses/officials, hospital workers, and their homes and families.  Not to mention (a little longer ago) assassinations of doctors and clinic workers who offered abortion services.  Where is the sympathy, assistance, outrage for these?

mtierney said:

You are all co-conspirators in the vile terrorism plot against the lives of our Supreme Court Justices, their families, and the destruction of  their homes and properties.

Mtierney I fully support changing the laws so that crazy people who might threaten a Supreme Court Justice or a school kid are never allowed anywhere near a firearm.  Do you?

mtierney said:

Even after the failed attempt at Kavanaugh’s home, (BTW, a Wisconsin judge was killed last week) not one of you has shown concern about our justices becoming targets of violence, (making those inclined to violence, responders, as it were) with the encouragement to follow through with death threats. You are all co-conspirators in the vile terrorism plot against the lives of our Supreme Court Justices, their families, and the destruction of  their homes and properties.

That's a false accusation.

And I have no idea how the cartoon is relevant to the thread.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

That's a false accusation.

Plus pretty hyperbolic to boot. That last sentence is a doozy.

To be honest, I couldn't get too worked up by the Kavanaugh incident because it was so weird. Calling 911 on himself kinda makes me think he wasn't a serious threat.

I only have so much outrage to give these days.

mtierney, I think  you must have missed the following post on the thread about this incident:

GoSlugs
said on June 9 at 12:22 pm:

As for Kavanaugh, thoughts and prayers my dude, thoughts and prayers. 

I clearly offered my thoughts and prayers. What more could I possibly do?

A communication from a pro-abortion group leaves no one guessing its message…

“A radical pro-abortion group called Jane’s Revenge — which claims to have burned and vandalized pro-life offices and crisis pregnancy centers, threatening at some locales: ““If abortion isn’t safe, neither are you!” — has just issued a communique threatening worse to come. From “Jane’s Revenge: Another Communique,” addressed to pro-life organizations:

Your thirty days expired yesterday. We offered an honourable way out. You could have walked away. Now the leash is off. And we will make it as hard as possible for your campaign of oppression to continue. We have demonstrated in the past month how easy and fun it is to attack. We are versatile, we are mercurial, and we answer to no one but ourselves. We promised to take increasingly drastic measures against oppressive infrastructures.

Rest assured that we will, and those measures may not come in the form of something so easily cleaned up as fire and graffiti. Sometimes you will see what we do, and you will know that it is us. Sometimes you will think you merely are unlucky, because you cannot see the ways which we interfere in your affairs. But your pointless attempts to control others, and make life more difficult, will not be met passively. Eventually your insurance companies, and your financial backers will realize you are a bad investment.

From here forward, any anti-choice group who closes their doors, and stops operating will no longer be a target. But until you do, it’s open season, and we know where your operations are. The infrastructure of the enslavers will not survive. . . . Through attacking, we find joy, courage, and strip the veneer of impenetrability

I, for one, oppose any pro-choice group behaving the way pro-lifers have for decades.

If mtierney had a history of consistently opposing political violence, she'd have some credibility here. Since her history is actually one of turning a blind eye to violence perpetuated by people who share her political beliefs, she just comes across as a bad faith concern troll.

mtierney said:

A communication from a pro-abortion group leaves no one guessing its message…

“A radical pro-abortion group called Jane’s Revenge — which claims to have burned and vandalized pro-life offices and crisis pregnancy centers, threatening at some locales: ““If abortion isn’t safe, neither are you!” — has just issued a communique threatening worse to come. From “Jane’s Revenge: Another Communique,” addressed to pro-life organizations:

The spelling and the website leave no doubt that's someone in Europe, who made a handful of posts in the last month. They seem to claim to be involved in isolated incidents in the U.S.

On the other hand, there are people who have spent years terrorizing women's health centers. All groups and threats, on any side of this or any other issue, have to be investigated and stopped.

Until recently, there has been conservative opposition to the Justice Department investigating domestic terrorism, so at least now maybe that nonsense can stop.

There's a series of congressional hearings happening right now, providing mtierney the perfect opportunity to weigh in and demonstrate her opposition to political violence, should she wish to do so.

You do have to admire the astounding scope of the hypocrisy.

some good news! (though 81% is still an awful lot)

drummerboy said:

some good news! (though 81% is still an awful lot)

oh, those silly Bishops!

mt - what do you think? Are they Catholic or not?

I can think of a few choice names for Bishop McManus other than Catholic.

This is painful.

I think Ms. Kelly is trying to expense her vacation. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/06/the-fall-of-the-wall-around-religious-education/

and editorial…

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/06/the-fall-of-the-wall-around-religious-education/

Everyone pays taxes to support public schools, whether parents of school age children or not. Seems like a justified ruling to me and long overdue!

mtierney said:

and editorial…

Everyone pays taxes to support public schools, whether parents of school age children or not. Seems like a justified ruling to me and long overdue!

Yes, we pay taxes to support public schools, even when we don't have children in the schools, because educating children is a public good.

We also pay for police departments, even if we've never been the victim of a crime, because protecting the community is a public good.

We also pay for fire departments, even if our homes have never had a fire, because protecting homes and businesses in the community is a public good.

People are also free to avail themselves of private services, if they so desire.

"We pay for public schools" isn't an appropriate argument for discussing the issue of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.