Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

Axios: Vatican orders all employees to get vaccine or submit to testing. So much for religious objections. 
https://www.axios.com/covid-vaccine-vatican-employees-weekly-testing-2728bb35-9d00-4475-b950-eff3330f4f65.html

A NJ district court yesterday held that the Archdiocese of Newark could be held financially liable for the intentional acts of of its former bishop, even if the Archdiocese wasn't negligent itself.  The lawsuits are piling up and could have an affect on the financial stability of the Archdiocese, if the ruling is upheld on appeal.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/30/archdiocese-of-newark-could-pay-in-ex-cardinal-theodore-mccarrick-sex-abuse-case/?utm_campaign=nyp_metrodaily&utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20211001&utm_term=NYP%20-%20Metro%20Daily

Having just watched the prequel to The Godfather, this story was interesting….

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/16/world/europe/italy-godfather-catholic-church.html

The prequel to The Godfather?

What?

Could be meaning the Sopranos prequel, unless mtierney just watched The Godfather Part II, which is both sequel AND prequel.

ridski said:

Could be meaning the Sopranos prequel, unless mtierney just watched The Godfather Part II, which is both sequel AND prequel.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Was gonna say the same thing about GFII.

I did watch the Sopranos prequel, and that was what I was thinking of — there was a scene about a Christening in the prequel, wasn’t there?  But the “Godfather” was caught in my movie brain cells, I guess.

This kind of Catholicism I can get behind.

It is almost as if someone asked themselves "What would Jesus do?"

He won't get away with that.

drummerboy said:

This kind of Catholicism I can get behind.

Don't leave out this part -

Do you know what comes to mind now when, together with popular movements, I think of the Good Samaritan? Do you know what comes to mind? The protests over the death of George Floyd. It is clear that this type of reaction against social, racial or macho injustice can be manipulated or exploited by political machinations or whatever, but the main thing is that, in that protest against this death, there was the Collective Samaritan who is no fool! This movement did not pass by on the other side of the road when it saw the injury to human dignity caused by an abuse of power. The popular movements are not only social poets but also collective Samaritans.

Video Message of the Holy Father on the occasion of the Fourth World Meeting of Popular Movements (EMMP) (16 October 2021) | Francis (vatican.va)

I have to say that even I was shocked by the magnitude of these findings.

BBC: Some 216,000 children - mostly boys - have been sexually abused by clergy in the French Catholic Church since 1950, a damning new inquiry has found

And the kicker is that, when you count the children who were victims of abuse by the laity, the number sores to 330,000 victims.

The implications of this inquiry are really mind blowing.  France has about 50 million Catholics.  If we extrapolate the French numbers to the 1.4 billion Catholics worldwide, these findings suggest that there are nearly 8 MILLION victims of clerical abuse.

words of wisdom from a saint in waiting….

“If not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hates. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world, as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church which is accused of being behind the times, as Our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which theworld rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because he called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which amid the confusion of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly, it is other-worldly. Since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. ... the Catholic Church is the only Church existing today which goes back to the time of Christ. History is so very clear on this point, it is curious how many miss its obviousness...”
Fulton J. Sheen

mtierney said:

I take pleasure in the knowledge that Fulton Sheen is "waiting" in a very warm place.  I suspect that, regardless of what labels future far right Catholics may put on the man, he will be waiting there until the end of time.

mtierney said:

Look for the Church which amid the confusion of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly, it is other-worldly. Since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. ... t

Fulton J. Sheen

You find this sort of self reenforcing nonsense in many cults.  If the outside world accuses us of crimes (like raping little kids) their persecution is just proof that we are right.

I wonder, did you even read the article?

Here, I will repost the link for you.  You should read it.  I don't hold out much hope for you but, if this doesn't open your eyes, nothing will.

BBC: Some 216,000 children - mostly boys - have been sexually abused by clergy in the French Catholic Church since 1950, a damning new inquiry has found

mtierney said:

“If not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hates. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. 
Fulton J. Sheen

Mtierney,  trust me when I say that critics of the Catholic Church don't have a problem with the teachings of Jesus.

Biden:

Conservatives:

Guardian: Biden meets with Pope Francis as the pontiff urges ‘radical decisions’ at Cop26

The Pope makes clear that Climate Change is a challenge that must be addressed by all Christians and indeed, all people regardless of faith.  I know it is dangerous to set people on pedestals and I am well aware that Pope Francis is as human as any of us but this guy really is one of my heroes.  Everyday, he is fighting the good fight.

I don't want deface this page with pictures of offal but, if anyone would like a lesson in contrasts, google a picture of Trump and the Pope.  Francis definitely looks like he is worried Trump is going to touch him inappropriately.

Klinker said:

I don't want deface this page with pictures of offal but, if anyone would like a lesson in contrasts, google a picture of Trump and the Pope.  Francis definitely looks like he is worried Trump is going to touch him inappropriately.

Not just the Pope. 

Where the hell is that pig's hoof????

Even now, I can't look at him without feeling the urge to vomit.  What a waste of food, oxygen and space!

No comment from our leading Pope hater, of course.

"NYT Live Updates Today: In Private Meeting, Francis Weighs In on Biden Communion Debate

President Biden said that Pope Francis called him a “good Catholic” and said that he should continue receiving communion amid a push by some U.S. bishops to deny him the sacrament over abortion views. Mr. Biden is also set to meet with President Emmanuel Macron of France and Prime Minister Mario Draghi of Italy."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/29/world/biden-pope-communion-abortion.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20211029&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta®i_id=10054000&segment_id=72994&user_id=9c21d4e1edb2a97eb087defdbf611aaf

So, is there any indication of how the Pope's statements will effect the efforts of the far right American schismatics to effectively excommunicate the President?

Klinker said:

So, is there any indication of how the Pope's statements will effect the efforts of the far right American schismatics to effectively excommunicate the President?

Biden is probably right after Pope Francis on their list.

EWTN and Fox News right wing ranter Raymond Arroyo bashes the Pope for not listening to the anti-Biden bishops.

nohero said:

Biden is probably right after Pope Francis on their list. 

The hatred right wing American Catholics have for the Pope is truly shocking.

Today in "Why American conservatives are so hateful towards Pope Francis, and not just the anti-Catholic ones" -

The ‘Cry of the Earth and the Cry of the Poor’ that I present in Laudato si’ as the emblematic consequence of our failure to care for our common home has been amplified lately by the Covid-19 emergency that humanity is still struggling to control. Thus, an ecological crisis, represented by the “cry of the earth”, and a social crisis, represented by “the cry of the poor”, have been made deadly by a healthcare crisis: the Covid-19 pandemic. So true are the words of my predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, that “the way humanity treats the environment influences the way it treats itself, and vice versa.” (Caritas in veritate, n. 51).

Nevertheless, let us not forget that crises are also windows of opportunity: they are a chance to recognise and to learn from past mistakes. The present crisis should make us “turn what is happening to the world into our own personal suffering and thus to discover what each of us can do about it” (LS, 19). They are also a time for us to change gear, to change bad habits in order to be able to dream, co-create, and act together to realise just and equitable futures. It is time to develop a new form of universal solidarity that is grounded in fraternity, love, and mutual understanding: one that values people over profit, one that seeks new ways to understand development and progress. And so, it is my hope and prayer that we do not come out of this crisis the same way we entered it!

The recent past has shown us that it is primarily our children who understand the scale and enormity of the challenges society faces, especially the climate crisis. We must listen to them with open hearts. We must follow their lead for they are wise beyond their years.

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news/2021-10/pope-francis-time-to-develop-a-new-form-of-universal-solidarity.html

A little timely help -

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!