to idiots.

Pot meet kettle. oh oh

tjohn said:

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:

mtierney said:
That is your conclusion, not mine.
 But, what is wrong about giving the story some further 
clarification — oh, wait i’ll answer that question: they were Catholic school students! 
I know you're paranoid, but the kids drew attention because they were wearing Trump paraphernalia which, like it or not, is Nazi-lite gear, not because they go to a Catholic school.  I do believe however, that Trump's message of hate should be unwelcome in all Christian homes.
 Equating kids wearing Trump hats to Hitler youth sounds paranoid.
There are certain images that cause a reaction of sorts when I see them.  Images of the twin towers, certain things and images from WW II, etc.  MAGA hats have the same effect on me.  It makes me think the wearer is ignorant and hateful.  Whether or not that is fair to the wearer is somewhat irrelevant.  It's just a first impression.

Fair enough. Because of the twin towers, folks distrust Muslims, first impressions. 

some where, perhaps in another life, I got your knickers in a twist — someday, when you get chill — we could have an exchange of ideas, known as a conversation.

If at first you denigrate, you really can’t expect a response from me — not my style.

No comment on Pope Francis' phone prayer app?

Why would a school send teenage boys to an anti abortion rally? Why did they go over to the indigenous people match and started chanting " build that Wall" why were they all wearing MAGA hats? Seems to me they were looking for trouble and they got it, now they're doing damage control.

"Build a wall"?   I don't see that in this video.  Is there some fake news being propagated?

David Brooks in today’s NYT

“In this case the facts happened to support the right-wing tribe. But that’s not the point. The crucial thing is that the nation’s culture is now enmeshed in a new technology that we don’t yet know how to control. 

“In this technology, stereotype is more salient than persons. In this technology, a single moment is more important than a life story. In this technology, a main activity is proving to the world that your type is morally superior to the other type.

“The Covington case was such a blatant rush to judgment — it was powered by such crude prejudice and social stereotyping — I’m hoping it will be an important pivot point. I’m hoping that at least a few people start thinking about norms of how decent people should behave on these platforms.

“It’s hard to believe that people are going to continue forever on platforms where they are so cruel to one another. It’s hard to believe that people are going to be content, year after year, to distort their own personalities in service to a platform, making themselves humorless, semi-blind, joyless and grim.”

The Times showed its new style of journalistic spin in another article on this incident. Near to choking, the reporter updates what actually occurred, but, true to form, the reporter went on to offer other offenses committed by other people and to describe the Kentucky town with skepticism!

mtierney said:
David Brooks in today’s NYT
— I’m hoping it will be an important pivot point. I’m hoping that at least a few people start thinking about norms of how decent people should behave on these platforms.
“It’s hard to believe that people are going to continue forever on platforms where they are so cruel to one another. It’s hard to believe that people are going to be content, year after year, to distort their own personalities in service to a platform, making themselves humorless, semi-blind, joyless and grim.”

I think it’s fair to say exactly the same thing about the students from KY.  

From my young adult children, I get the sense that millennials understand the inherent dubiousness of internet discourse and content, and treat a lot of it with a shrug.  They get it.  

lord_pabulum said:
"Build a wall"?   I don't see that in this video.  Is there some fake news being propagated?

Witnessed by several people that the real problem started when these boys came over mocking the indigenous people and their music. There was a black Israelites or black Hebrews group also there, who started to hurt insults at the boys. It got heated to the point where the Indian drummer decided to step in between them. If they were so peaceful as they're claiming they should have moved away, instead of taunting. Don't try to make these punks out to be saints.

lord_pabulum said:

Fair enough. Because of the twin towers, folks distrust Muslims, first impressions. 

I might distrust a Moslem wearing a ISIS t-shirt and screaming "Burn USA Burn" in the same way that that I would distrust a member of the Twitler Youth wearing a Magastika but an ordinary Moslem?  Not so much.

mtierney said:
some where, perhaps in another life, I got your knickers in a twist — someday, when you get chill — we could have an exchange of ideas, known as a conversation.

If at first you denigrate, you really can’t expect a response from me — not my style.

You denigrate yourself with the things you post here.

Klinker said:

mtierney said:

You were not in my frame of reference. I think you should use your alternate persona, you have exhausted this one.

Mtierney.

I think debate should be civil and polite.  But I do recall you saying, in substance, that you found our President's manner to be refreshing.  You've also made it a point of honor (or mischief) to never concede a bit of doubt about the way he talks to and about other people.   If you like that manner and find it refreshing, I'm not so sure how loudly you can complain about being on the receiving end of it (and, really, nobody here approaches his level of meanness and insanity)   

First impressions

Jaytee said:

lord_pabulum said:
 Witnessed by several people that the real problem started when these boys came over mocking the indigenous people and their music. There was a black Israelites or black Hebrews group also there, who started to hurt insults at the boys. It got heated to the point where the Indian drummer decided to step in between them. If they were so peaceful as they're claiming they should have moved away, instead of taunting. Don't try to make these punks out to be saints.

I haven't seen the Witnessed by several people  video yet.  I don't make anyone out to be saints except maybe for the drummer.  Wouldn't you call the black Israelites or black Hebrews punks too?

mtierney said:

Klinker said:

mtierney said:

You were not in my frame of reference. I think you should use your alternate persona, you have exhausted this one.

I wasn't referring to any particular post, I was making a general comment.  Is there anything that would be more shameful to a person who lived through the 40s than to have been an avid supporter of the Third Reich or Fascist Italy?

Will there be anything more shameful in 40 years to the folks alive today than to have been a Trump supporter?  When my grandkids ask me what I did during the Trump Administration, I will be proud to say that I did everything in my power to fight.

Robert_Casotto said:
my wife’s son agrees.

Great! How about your son's real father?

No doubt that everyone’s my wife’s son feels similarly.

Press eats crow —- nah, the initial scenario was just too delish not to indulge. The Press has to write the story to fit expectations, so no mea culpa necessary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/opinion/covington-teenagers-twitter.html

mtierney said:

Press eats crow —- nah, the initial scenario was just too delish not to indulge. The Press has to write the story to fit expectations, so no mea culpa necessary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/opinion/covington-teenagers-twitter.html

Press eats crows is the side story.  The bigger issue is the human rush to judgement - a behavioral tendency which is exacerbated by the instant news cycle which includes a lot of news we never would have been exposed to not so long ago.

Public villification of innocent fifteen year old boys.  if that’s not bumping against rockbottom, then folks need to up their zoloft dosage.

Robert_Casotto said:
Public villification of innocent fifteen year old boys.  if that’s not bumping against rockbottom, then folks need to up their zoloft dosage.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/opinions/maga-hats-dont-belong-on-a-catholic-school-trip-beck/index.html

The adults failed the teens.

Robert_Casotto said:
200 mg.

— Dr. Casotto.

15 year-old boys are not necessarily angelic.  See Lord of the Flies.  Lots of problems with this whole affair, but assuming high school kids are as pure as the wind-driven snow is not a helpful starting point.

I don't know, the kids were still wearing MAGA hats.  That isn't what I would call innocent. There needs to be some accountability for public displays of hate in this country.  Perhaps the kids didn't know what the hats meant (bad parenting) but surely the chaperones should have stepped in.

tjohn said:

Robert_Casotto said:
200 mg.

— Dr. Casotto.
 15 year-old boys are not necessarily angelic.  See Lord of the Flies.  Lots of problems with this whole affair, but assuming high school kids are as pure as the wind-driven snow is not a helpful starting point.

Just look at now Justice Brett (I LOVE BEER) Kavanaugh.

+ addl 250mg, rectal administration sugg.

Dr. C.

FYI: the Native American drummer — who had been described as a Vietnam veteran in the coverage of the Right to Life March brouhaha — turns out that he is not a vet. He was described as such many times but it was not, he, who corrected the record.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!