Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

A rapist bigot or the Pope?  Which side are people going to pick?  I know, for me, this choice is simple.  One would think that for Catholics, it would be a no brainer.  What could possibly be tilting the scales in the other direction?

Perhaps our resident Catholic ROTUS supporter can enlighten us with regards to question, surely one of the foremost challenges facing Pope Francis in America today?

mtierney said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/08/nyregion/peacocks-st-john-the-divine.html?ref=todayspaper

A good newspaper article to help clear the brain of nastiness.

To be fair, the nastiness you voted for. A man who brags about grabbing women in the pussy.  A man who is opposed to everything Christ stood for.  A man who, according to Senator Corker is leading our nation into WWIII.  

Nastiness indeed!

On the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther's 95 theses, some food for thought:

Why Can’t Christians Get Along, 500 Years After the Reformation?

What, no mention to the murder of hundreds of Irish babies by Catholic nuns? Surely a challenge for Pope Francis as he continues to clean up the mess made by centuries of conservative Church leaders.

A deafening silence from the resident conservative Catholic. Typical.

on All Saints Day, this reflection on life and death..  

https://buff.ly/2znt5j7

It's one thing to recognize unborn victims of violence and another to recognize the unborn as a person with full constitutional rights.

mtierney said:

Faith and politics meet reality...

https://t.co/UytVrFKOCi

tbd said:

It's one thing to recognize unborn victims of violence and another to recognize the unborn as a person with full constitutional rights.
mtierney said:

Not for those who hold the belief that life begins at conception.

mtierney said:

tbd said:

mtierney said:

Not for those who hold the belief that life begins at conception.

The difference between facts and beliefs.  I can "believe" that the great Flying Spaghetti Monster forbids us to eat lettuce but a law that forbade the eating of lettuce on those grounds would, obviously, be unconstitutional.

You need to learn to keep your "beliefs" out of other people's wombs.

Unfortunately Pope Francis, like the US at large, is having to deal with the politicized right within the American Catholic Church, funded by the likes of Breitbart.  Their goal is to unite anti-abortion Catholics and Evangelicals with alt-right politics. 

The Vatican newspapers response:

http://www.laciviltacattolica.it/articolo/evangelical-fundamentalism-and-catholic-integralism-in-the-usa-a-surprising-ecumenism/

Yes, the legacy of Pope (now Saint) John Paul the second is a very conservative US conference of bishops. It will be interesting to see if C. Cupich is elected to head the Bishop's pro-life committee this week. https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2017/11/12/cupich-v-naumann-referendum-pro-life-policy-papal-priorities/

finnegan said:

Yes, the legacy of Pope (now Saint) John Paul the second is a very conservative US conference of bishops. It will be interesting to see if C. Cupich is elected to head the Bishop's pro-life committee this week. https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2017/11/12/cupich-v-naumann-referendum-pro-life-policy-papal-priorities/

Unfortunately Cardinal Cupich lost to Cardinal Naumann.  

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2017/11/14/surprise-naumann-elected-cupich-new-head-pro-life-u-s-bishops-committee/

Interesting "related story" on the page you linked to from the cruxnow website, unfortunately I think it speaks volumes as to where some Catholics mindsets are at:

"You may dislike him, but Trump is the best pro-life chance we’ve got

Donald Trump is far from many peoples' idea of a president. But whatever you think of him, he's the best chance in a long time for securing pro-life legislative goals..."

Sad that some Catholics are distorting their world view by seeing it through the lens of one issue.

tbd posts...

Sad that some Catholics are distorting their world view by seeing it through the lens of one issue.”

Hardly a new concept in voting by religious as well as  secular voters.

mtierney said:

tbd posts...

Sad that some Catholics are distorting their world view by seeing it through the lens of one issue.”

Hardly a new concept in voting by religious as well as  secular voters.

Maybe, but dangerous none the less.  

His behavior is on you, and all who voted for him.

Australia is moving towards gay marriage while prosecuting a kiddie rapist Cardinal.  Surely they are making their way away from the vision of John Paul/Ratzinger and towards that of Pope Francis.

Progress!

yep: wait until December when the final report from the Royal Commission is released, and the Catholic Church is fully revealed to be the institutional enabler we’ve always suspected. (Yes, there are others, but this report is especially damning)

There are grassroots rumblings growing louder that are becoming too hard to ignore.

Must run for work now, I’m v late!!

the Jesuit Post had this reflection on the recent tsunami of sexual harassment charges, in particular that of Louis C.K....

“Everyone wants to be “woke.” We fight over who is more self-aware, who sees more of what’s wrong with the world, and how we contribute to injustice. We hope awareness will lead to change. But what if a self-aware person is still a bad person?

A few days ago, BuzzFeed ran an article on the Louis CK piece that was originally titled “Louis C.K. Was Supposed To Be One of the Good Guys,” where the author expressed shock and disappointment at C.K., who has been accused by five women of doing unwanted sexual acts in front of them.   

While C.K.’s comedy routines have often been vulgar and transgressive, the author (and others) assumed that his ideals would keep him from evil. “C.K. was supposed to be one of the good ones. He was self-aware, routinely talking about how easy it is for men to indulge (or at least fantasize about) their worst instincts around women.”

He had feminist opinions and helped female comics advance their own careers. Surely such a man who thought the right things and knew how the truth applied to him would be immune to such depravity, right? Right?

Wrong.

All of us are broken in some way. We have seen so many pieces in the news and on social media of sexual harassment and violence that it is hard not to know someone who is implicated. Even people who seem to have all the right opinions can do all the wrong things. That is when it hurts the most.

Perhaps if there is one thing we take from the wildfire of scandals that have been brought to light recently, it is that no one is immune. In the #MeToo campaign on social media, many women (and a fair number of men) came forward as victims of sexual harassment. The perpetrators were all sorts of people—no set of professed beliefs made a person good or immune to temptation. People who knew what was right still chose what was wrong.  

There is no such thing as being too smart to do bad. There is no set of ideals we can believe in that will make us to be good. We cannot firmly resolve with the help of our intellects or our woke-ness to sin no more. It just isn’t enough. We need a firm resolution of action.

C.K. has now publicly confessed, which is commendable. But he (and we) still need to move forward–to sin no more. We look at what has happened, and we see the brokenness that everybody has. We see love and sorrow–the desire to do good while living with the choices to do bad. And we see hope for the future. C.K. wants a better future, so does BuzzFeed, so do the rest of us. But we need a way to get there.  After the confession, we need contrition to have growth.

This is why I love the Act of Contrition. It is a prayer of growth. And it is an amazingly human prayer. A human combination of love, sorrow, and hope for the future that finishes by asking for help. Asking for the help of God’s grace to sin no more and avoid the near occasion of sin. Because we are talented at sin. We are virtuosos at being broken. 

Right opinions and good intentions won’t save us. We need something new—we need a bit of help. We need that prayer that is a mixture of love and sorrow and hope for the future, and most of all, that help from God’s grace. We need that Act of Contrition.”

mtierney said:

Right opinions and good intentions won’t save us. We need something new—we need a bit of help. We need that prayer that is a mixture of love and sorrow and hope for the future, and most of all, that help from God’s grace. We need that Act of Contrition.”

Actually, I think what we need is for men to keep their penises in their pants.  That shouldn't require an act of God or divine grace, just good manners.

Of course, you favor a "non-politically correct take on many issues" and "blunt talk".  I guess, if we are going to go by your playbook, if a man wants to grab a woman in the pussy, he should grab the woman in the pussy (assuming he is famous of course).

repetitious vulgarity and use of banned words apparently makes your day....sad and tiresome. Do your children read your posts?

mtierney said:

repetitious vulgarity and use of banned words apparently makes your day....sad and tiresome. 

Ummm... I was directly quoting YOUR PRESIDENT!

If you don't like the foul, hateful, misogynist language, I absolutely suggest that you think before you vote for a monster.

mtierney said:

Do your children read your posts?

Sigh..... remember the days when children could listen to the President of the United States without being exposed to the foulest iterations of hate, sexism and bigotry?  It seems so long ago and yet it was really just a matter of months.

Of course, to quote you directly, you "absolutely love his non-politically correct take on many issues" and you crow that "his blunt talk is so refreshing after 8 years of learned double talk which sounded classy but was so weak."

Your words, not mine.  

Deplorable.

Klinker said:

Of course, you favor a "non-politically correct take on many issues" and "blunt talk".  I guess, if we are going to go by your playbook, if a man wants to grab a woman in the pussy, he should grab the woman in the pussy (assuming he is famous of course).

mtierney said:

repetitious vulgarity and use of banned words apparently makes your day....sad and tiresome. Do your children read your posts?

Klinker said:

It think this exchange is a good example of the denial practiced by Trump voters.  I seriously doubt that (unlike the case with every other former President, with obvious exceptions) any school district will christen one of their facilities as the "Donald Trump Elementary School".

Klinker said:

mtierney said:

repetitious vulgarity and use of banned words apparently makes your day....sad and tiresome. 

If you don't like the foul, hateful, misogynist language, I absolutely suggest that you think before you vote for a monster.

And this:

A man who has called his daughter a “piece of ***,” who walked into the dressing rooms of teenagers and who said he found Paris Hilton attractive when she was 12 years old. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2017/nov/18/trump-sexual-harassment-al-franken

And walking into the teenagers dressing room was no accident. The teenagers were upset. Unlike Trump, who said to them, "Don't worry, I've seen it all before." 

Disgusting.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.