The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

The cartoon uses a description that I first heard in decades ago. I don’t think buffets are ever coming back, but the comment is fitting. 

I hereby nominate this post for Most Hypocritical Post of 2021. 

I am sure it will be surpassed by the same poster multiple times this year.

It’s early...

ridski said:

I want whatever these Q-Nuts are vaping.

Got to watch out for that bob wire.

I was gonna ‘like’ PVW’s comment, but I’m not quite sure what bob wire ‘us’. (Am wondering if perhaps a Kiwi actor dictated that piece?)

joanne said:

(Am wondering if perhaps a Kiwi actor dictated that piece?)

Maybe! Let's use Q-logic to find out! It says that DC is now a foreign nation -- but which nation? Well it also says that Biden was sworn into a bankrupt corporation that does not exist, and one place that definitely does not exist is Middle Earth, setting of the LOTR films, which were filmed in... New Zealand!

Also, if you stick cotton balls in your ears and mumble "Kiwi" it kind of sounds like you're saying "Q"!

ml1 said: 

Or do you just drop in to the cafeteria to partake of the anti-abortion offering  and pass on the anti-death penalty doctrine?

Because of you were going to be consistent, you'd deplore Trump for his execution assembly line as much as you deplore Biden for not being against abortion. 

The death penalty has never been a buffet choice for me. I have held a lifelong anti-death penalty  position.

mtierney said:

ml1 said: 

Or do you just drop in to the cafeteria to partake of the anti-abortion offering  and pass on the anti-death penalty doctrine?

Because of you were going to be consistent, you'd deplore Trump for his execution assembly line as much as you deplore Biden for not being against abortion. 

The death penalty has never been a buffet choice for me. I have held a lifelong anti-death penalty  position.

then how can you support a person like Trump who is extremely pro-death penalty?  And appointed people to the DOJ who carried out executions with such apparent glee?

clearly you don't make the death penalty nearly as much of a priority as your anti-abortion position.  At this point, it's apparent that you really are a one-issue voter.  You'd probably vote for Satan incarnate if he ran for president on an anti-abortion platform..

I posted a link regarding the reopening of schools in SOMA schools the other day. Today’s NYT covers the controversy in Montclair. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/25/nyregion/montclair-schools-covid.html

Seems parents and kids want to see schools open — now.

mtierney said:

I posted a link regarding the reopening of schools in SOMA schools the other day. Today’s NYT covers the controversy in Montclair. 

Everybody wants the schools open.  That's not the issue.

The issue is, safely opening the schools.  There's nothing in the article which indicates that issue has been resolved.

mtierney said:

That's interesting, but I am curious as to your response to ml1's question. Why, despite your opposition to the death penalty, have you been so enthusiastic about Trump while drawing a hard line against Biden on abortion?

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

then how can you support a person like Trump who is extremely pro-death penalty?  And appointed people to the DOJ who carried out executions with such apparent glee?

See the most recent cartoon Ms. Mtierney posted for the answer.

mtierney said:

ml1 said: 

Did you deplore Trump's mass rallies which were superspreader events that caused hundreds of deaths? 

mtierney said:

I have held a lifelong anti-death penalty  position.

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

I haven’t revisited the active Schools thread in the Main Forums area, but I’m wondering what the discussion of local schools has to do with the Rose Garden?

Mind you, my nation is apparently needlessly confining tennis players who complain and then  show symptoms of the covid virus, as well as most of our States continuing to remotely educate school students. What would I understand of complex political & economic matters? cheese

joanne said:

I was gonna ‘like’ PVW’s comment, but I’m not quite sure what bob wire ‘us’. 

Bob wire us to be in the Grateful Dead. 

mtierney said:

fwiw, SOMA schools are in fact open for in-person classes.

joanne said:

I haven’t revisited the active Schools thread in the Main Forums area, but I’m wondering what the discussion of local schools has to do with the Rose Garden?

Mind you, my nation is apparently needlessly confining tennis players who complain and then  show symptoms of the covid virus, as well as most of our States continuing to remotely educate school students. What would I understand of complex political & economic matters?
cheese

The  Covid-19 virus as been a political issue for almost 12 months now. Certainly, the successful search for vaccines, and the present distribution frenzy, following a contentious election, have had and will continue to have political roots. 

The lockdown of schools, businesses large and small, entertainment venues, restaurants, etc. are major political issues across the U.S., with governors, mayors, and other officials opening and closing and reopening, seemingly with no coordination or rational. 

Hence, the topic has a home here in the Rose Garden.

Sounds like the Trump excuse of the day is that the "contentious election" got in the way of a successful federal distribution of vaccines. 

Someone posted a slide back in... was it November(?) which had a flowchart of how the vaccine distribution was supposed to work. I'm pretty sure that nowhere in that chart was [F. Did the President Refuse to Concede an Election he Clearly Lost? ---> Go Back to A]

The only reason Covid-19 is a "political issue" is because Trump and the GOP decided it was in their interests to sow confusion about it.  And it's still going on, even on this message board.

mtierney said:

Without a serge of new COVID cases while schools remained in session, the correct assumption would be they operated safely. 

10 new in-school outbreaks in NJ reported in today's update.  

Here we go. I don't see any presidential involvement in this at all. He wasn't even the head of the task force.

As far as the chaos of lockdowns at the local level, the lack of national leadership was evident here. No real attempt was made to help states coordinate their responses with (what is supposed to be) the NSC, who should have been in charge. Robert O'Brien was the National Security Advisor during the opening stages of the pandemic, but he wasn't given the job of coordinating the multiple agencies into a cohesive whole, Jared Kushner was. 

Page 1 of the Domestic Pandemic Playbook clearly states:

• The NSC will serve as an information conduit for the Executive Office of the President (EOP) and will coordinate interagency policy discussions and decisions.
• While States hold significant power and responsibility related to public health response outside of a declared Public Health Emergency, the American public will look to the U.S. Government for action when multi-state or other significant public health events occur.

Later in that document is goes onto talk about Communications during a domestic pandemic getting worse, and goes on to say "Early coordination of risk communications through a single federal spokesperson is critical to collect and disseminate data elements from across SLTT (State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial) and federal agencies." At first this was Dr. Fauci, but Trump didn't like that he was getting the attention, so he made it him, and suddenly no correct information was being disseminated from anywhere at all. This was just one of countless failings Donald Trump and his administration made. 

The first one was throwing out that Pandemic Playbook because it was written during the Obama administration. The second was the attempt to downplay the pandemic to save the stock market. Thirdly was the weak China travel ban (which still allowed US citizens and their families to enter from China), long after the virus had moved past China and was in Europe, with no travel ban implemented on the east coast. After that there was an exponential cascade of failures from the Trump admin which led to a disease - which doesn't give a hoot which party you voted for - becoming a political football. Fights over basic mask-wearing, keeping gymnasiums where people sweat, cough and spit all over the equipment open, crowded bars and nightclubs... I can't call these people stupid because they've received nothing but mixed-messaging and misinformation at the federal level from the start. 

We're nearly a year into our lockdown procedures, and this could all have been close to over by November if we had a leader who wasn't completely and utterly in over his head at every juncture, caring about nothing other whether he looked good.

It's funny, I was on twitter earlier and once again I saw someone incredulous that Joe Biden, who barely campaigned at all, scored 80 million votes. And I realized that Biden didn't have to campaign at all. Trump did all of Biden's campaigning for him. He totally failed where ANYONE else would have succeeded. 

Can we stop about Trump already? He is not the President anymore, and hopefully Justice will be served to him, and that's all there is to it.

basil said:

Can we stop about Trump already? He is not the President anymore, and hopefully Justice will be served to him, and that's all there is to it.

Feel free to stop.

Mtierney, thank you for the response. I caught up on the various schools threads in the Main Forums: people there predicted the lack of properly maintained ventilation systems (especially in winter - how can kids concentrate in freezing cold schoolrooms with windows wide open??) - lack of priority vaccination for teachers unless they’re smokers or have other health conditions, split focus for teachers given coursework is still delivered remotely in class.... there is little benefit in reopening, and yet much danger of contracting Covid and other illnesses. 
By way of comparison, our academic year has just started. My nephew has just started his final of high school. He’s actually attending in person this week, as our State (and our region)  has recorded no community transmission for quite some time. But we still have a choice on attendance, and he has asthma and hay fever. He’ll probably spend most of this semester studying remotely. My niece in Melbourne, where the tennis players are, is starting Year 1 in elementary school remotely. 

It appears that mtierney has 'x' out most of her thread titles.  I'll take this as a sign that she doesn't wish to participate anymore.

Too bad - some were really good threads - now she made the titles unsearchable.  Odd form of sabotage.  I guess we can close this thread sometime soon as well.  Maybe start a new "Life in the Biden Years" thread.

jamie said:

It appears that mtierney has 'x' out most of her thread titles.  I'll take this as a sign that she doesn't wish to participate anymore.

Too bad - some were really good threads - now she made the titles unsearchable.  Odd form of sabotage.  I guess we can close this thread sometime soon as well.  Maybe start a new "Life in the Biden Years" thread.

Yes, she’s pouting and feeling that she’s treated unfairly. Reminds me of her leader. She’s a narcissist also. Always got to keep her threads on top. She can take her ball and go home for all I care. 

jamie said:

I think it's just the ones based on "Epoch Times" stories.  In the one that had to be sunk, she repeated the same lie which was posted here about the "Epoch Times".

nohero said:

I think it's just the ones based on "Epoch Times" stories.  In the one that had to be sunk, she repeated the same lie which was posted here about the "Epoch Times".

umm, no.  Let's just move on - anyone want to start a rose garden thread for the Biden years?

jamie said:

ROTFLMAO!!!

I guess she just couldn't take our inexplicable refusal to see that she was the real victim.  

Behold the octogenarian baby!

jamie said:

nohero said:

umm, no.  Let's just move on - anyone want to start a rose garden thread for the Biden years?

I guessed that because she didn't "zero out" all of her threads (at least not as of now).

I don't think we need a "Rose Garden for the Biden years" thread - with the possible exception of when they start restoring the Rose Garden to repair the Trumpish "makeover".

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.