Spring Forward Soundtrack: Power Pop

Good stuff.  The other two desert island discs are?

Wow.  I didn't know till you posted this.  Very sad. 

qrysdonnell said:

RIP

bub said:

I meant that however long my list could be, 69 Love Songs would be three of them.

Ah!

DaveSchmidt said:

bub said:

I meant that however long my list could be, 69 Love Songs would be three of them.

saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in 1980 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic.

this was the opening number.  They came out and rocked that dump from start to finish.

bub said:

ml1

how did that happen?

just saw this question now seven months later.  Contributed to Marshal Crenshaw's kickstarter for one of his recent projects and got a guitar lesson from him.  Wouldn't you know it -- when I got there my guitar had technical difficulties, and Marshall handed me his gold Strat grin

That time of the year again.

Looking for something in 6/8 but in the meantime this nugget clocks in at under two minutes: 

https://youtu.be/6uJDepxOCXE

Thanks for reviving.  You are the curator of this thing.  Cuethesun, I liked that song and your Jeff Buckley Avatar.

DaveSchmidt said:

Thanks Bub. Buckley was a pure triple threat: singer/songwriter/guitarist. Grace is one of my top three all time favorite albums. Oh what might have been! But shifting genres...here’s one off Robin Zander’s solo LP in the mid 90’s. The LP is weak overall but this track stands out. Nice build up to the chorus. Infectious melody. 

https://youtu.be/yk5qG0q-tqo

I haven't listened yet (to your last link) but I was thinking about Buckley recently.  An immensely talented, hard to categorize guy who could have done great things.  Tragic.

bub said:

You are the curator of this thing.

No, just a fan who started a thread hoping to share and learn.

6/8, joy of man’s desiring.

And I’ll seize any excuse to post another track from Sloan. 

It's spring training.  Just getting into shape.

Teenage Fanclub ー I'll Make It Clear - YouTube

Teenage Fanclub ー I'll Make It Clear - YouTube

from the album "Grand Prix" in 1995

She Goes Out WIth Everybody - The Spongetones - www.facebook.com/Spongetones

She Goes Out WIth Everybody - The Spongetones - www.facebook.com/Sponget...

www.myspace.com/spongetones - Rare Spongetones video from 1983. Jamie gets attacked by a bee! beatles rolling st...

The Beach Boys - Girl Don't Tell Me

The Beach Boys - Girl Don't Tell Me

Bold narrow-casting, puzzle man.  Who knew someone would rock up a Manilow song.  Was expecting C&W. 

Thread drift — to Higher Power pop — but my soft spot for different time signatures thrummed at the reminder, during the live NBC telecast on Sunday, that “Jesus Christ Superstar” contains this 7/4 scene-setter:

Had never heard “Girl Don’t Tell Me” before. Outstanding.

The melody that is transitions from the verses to the chorus is sublime. 

DaveSchmidt said:

Had never heard “Girl Don’t Tell Me” before. Outstanding.

Ian Gillan put himself on the map (and into Deep Purple) starring in this show. Great track! And, a further drift to another odd time signature - 15/4 

https://youtu.be/HjXnhT3jXM4

Good stuff, Cue.

The cut from JC Superstar sent my mind floating about in the early 70s and to this song, which I've always loved.  A minor hit, at best, for the giant pop rock band Three Dog Night written, I think, by little Paul Williams, a regular fixture of game shows and talk show in the 70s:

I grew up on AM radio so this definitely resonates. Coincidentally, I just recently learned to play it. Surprisingly simple. But then again, the best songs are...

bub said:

Good stuff, Cue.

The cut from JC Superstar sent my mind floating about in the early 70s and to this song, which I've always loved.  A minor hit, at best, for the giant pop rock band Three Dog Night written, I think, by little Paul Williams, a regular fixture of game shows and talk show in the 70s:

bub said:
Good stuff, Cue. The cut from JC Superstar sent my mind floating about in the early 70s and to this song, which I've always loved.  A minor hit, at best, for the giant pop rock band Three Dog Night written, I think, by little Paul Williams, a regular fixture of game shows and talk show in the 70s:

Choir here. But keep preaching.

Little Paul Williams has been president of ASCAP now for quite some time.

cuethesun said:
Ian Gillan put himself on the map (and into Deep Purple) starring in this show. Great track! And, a further drift to another odd time signature - 15/4 
https://youtu.be/HjXnhT3jXM4

Jesus Christ Superstar trivia: It was an album before it was a show. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Gillan ever performed the role onstage.

Haven’t had a chance to listen to the Pretenders video yet but looking forward to it.

ETA: Wait, I remember that one now. Never thought about its time signature before. Cool.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!