South Orange BOT election

mayhewdrive said:
It’s pretty interesting that of people that have worked directly with both Sheena and Deborah, they have all endorsed Sheena - Torpey, Karen Hilton, Walter Clarke, Vic DeLuca, as well as Doug Newman, who ran and served with Deborah, yet endorsed Sheena. 

Calabrese endorsed DDF in last weeks News Record.   Not sure if they worked together.   

Red_Barchetta said:

mayhewdrive said:
It’s pretty interesting that of people that have worked directly with both Sheena and Deborah, they have all endorsed Sheena - Torpey, Karen Hilton, Walter Clarke, Vic DeLuca, as well as Doug Newman, who ran and served with Deborah, yet endorsed Sheena. 
  Calabrese endorsed DDF in last weeks News Record.   Not sure if they worked together.   

Interesting thread from four years ago.

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/lmao-is-bill-calabrese-really-trying-to-become-relevant-by-protesting-over-development-please-tell-us-it-s-a-bad-joke?page=next&limit=0#discussion-replies-2994314

Are these SO firefighters? I can't make out the insignia on their clothes.

Red_Barchetta said:

mayhewdrive said:

DDF was on the BOT ticket in 2007 with Doug Neuman for VP, and Mark Rosner and Howard Levison for trustees, that defeated Calabrese for VP, and Arthur Taylor, Allan Rosen and a thrid who I can't recall - all incumbents.  That was momentous, bringing Calabrese's 20 year rule to an end. The camapign manger was Sheena Collum. Calabrese has had a grudge aganst Sheena since then. 

Calabrese now supports whovever is running against Sheena;

It was Sheena who was responsible for getting DDF elected to the BOT in 2007, because DDF had no experiece. And now DDF has turned on Sheena in one of dirtiest campaigns we have ever seen in South Orange. 

One of the comments under the picture that OhHenry show above is from Eddie Donnelly: Onward! 

Donnelly is the powerful head of the 5000 member NJ FMBA, whose member are canvassing door to door in South Orange, along with local firefighters. This is what Sheena is up against. How can she fight all of this especially when the firefighters are going around telling residents lies about the proposed merger? 

cramer said:
One of the comments under the picture that OhHenry show above is from Eddie Donnelly: Onward! 
Donnelly is the powerful head of the 5000 member NJ FMBA, whose member are canvassing door to door in South Orange, along with local firefighters. This is what Sheena is up against. How can she fight all of this especially when the firefighters are going around telling residents lies about the proposed merger? 

It's plain old corruption. One last orange left to spoil I guess. Since all the others have rotted from the inside.

We each need to make sure that two or three of our neighbors know the truth and vote.  Thats the only way to win.

OhHenry said:
Are these SO firefighters? I can't make out the insignia on their clothes.

Not that I know the whole department, but none of the SOFD firemen that I know are in the picture.

Wow, so the nastiness of national politics, with its lack of civility, accountability and truthfulness, has trickled down to SO.  How sad.

boomie said:
Wow, so the nastiness of national politics, with its lack of civility, accountability and truthfulness, has trickled down to SO.  How sad.

It worked for Trump and DDF figures it will work for her. And she may be right.  Sheena is facing a gigantic smear campaign financed with a lot of money that is very difficult to beat. For all of the talk that hopefully South Orange voters will see through all of the lies, a far greater number of them are only basing their decision on what they've seen in mailers and been told at meet and greets and what they've been told by the firefighters going door to door. 

Seems like an appeal to voters’ visceral feelings about why we pay more taxes than Maplewood or why Maplewood is the lead agency in this fire department consolidation. How many residents actually know, for example, how many firefighters are on duty at any given time right now and how that would or would not change? Obviously there’s no regard for measured explanations for these things. It’s easier to latch onto a sound bite that relies on an us vs them approach. It works. Look who we have as POTUS.

BOT campaigning reaching new lows this week on Facebook.  Can't wait until this mess is over and Sheena is victorious.

Given that the latest campaign contribution filings were due on May 3, does anyone know how quickly until the ELEC puts them online? Last time it took nearly a week to get them posted online. Could one get them faster by reaching out to the agency directly? 

Also, interesting that the sofirefacts.org site didn't go live until May 1, I believe, one day after the reporting window. 

For those who support Sheena, perhaps adding positive posts on SOMA Lounge might be a good idea. Its getting very rough.

Don't know if anyone here is on there, I rarely am but a friend mentioned a very surprising attack from an unlikely source.

I keep saying to myself, "we're better than this" but its ringing a bit hollow.

SO is an absolute shitshow right now.  So sad that many of the players could give a crap about the town and seek only their own interests as they’re pushed around like silly expendable pawns.  So sad. 

ctrzaska said:
SO is an absolute shitshow right now.  So sad that many of the players could give a crap about the town and seek only their own interests as they’re pushed around like silly expendable pawns.  So sad. 

It's going to get worse. DDF and her supporters don't care if they tear the town apart so long as they win. 

Does anyone know if tonight's debate is on?  DDF team is saying they will show up, but the agreed-upon moderator (NAACP) is saying they won't be attending because the details were never finalized, and Sheena's participation is unclear.  Think Sheena wanted to expand the subject of the debate beyond the firehouse merger to address the other issues DDF's team have misrepresented in the campaign.

mbaldwin said:
Does anyone know if tonight's debate is on?  DDF team is saying they will show up, but the agreed-upon moderator (NAACP) is saying they won't be attending because the details were never finalized, and Sheena's participation is unclear.  Think Sheena wanted to expand the subject of the debate beyond the firehouse merger to address the other issues DDF's team have misrepresented in the campaign.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/soma/articles/debate-between-the-two-village-president-candidates-still-on-or-is-it 

Sheena will still not be there because DDF refuses to expand the subject of the debate. It has a new sponsor and moderator. 

It's now being sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce. See my posts above about the turf war between the Chamber of Commerce and Main Street/SOVCA.  If DDF is elected that will be the end of SOVCA.

debate is not happening. Sheena wanted to talk about the many issues facing the Village (and which DDF tried to make an issue with in her mailers) but DDF refused. She only wants to talk about the fire department merger, despite the facts being discussed multiple times already. 

Sheena will not be there but DDF will still be there telling the same lies as she has been telling throughout the campaign. It will be recorded and put on SO Forward's website and Facebook page. DDF has a friendly sponsor and moderator who will be fed questions to ask. 

mayhewdrive said:

cramer said:
https://www.tapinto.net/towns/soma/articles/debate-between-the-two-village-president-candidates-still-on-or-is-it 

Sheena will still not be there because DDF refuses to expand the subject of the debate. It has a new sponsor and moderator. 
It's now being sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce. See my posts above about the turf war between the Chamber of Commerce and Main Street/SOVCA.  If DDF is elected that will be the end of SOVCA.
 As you probably know, the Chamber is synonymous with Elaine Harris, who donated $2,500 to DDF.  It’s clearly an attempt for a biased setup. 

Elaine Harris also wrote the smear opinion piece in TAPinto about Sheena, and was one of the biggest opponents of SOVCA.   She was the president of the Chamber of Commerce for many years and fought Main St. because she wanted the Chamber of Commerce to be the sole organization for the downtown. . 

Thanks for the update, folks.

While I understand why Sheena isn’t going to the debate, I’m worried it might backfire against her

Are there questions from the floor?  Should we all go anyway?  Of course, I can't say anything because I can't go tonight. Crap.

Saw that there is a meet & greet tonight for the Ed Moore group.

Cocktails & Conversations with Line D Candidates

You Are Invited! Cocktails & Conversations with Line D Candidates You are cordially invited to attend “Cocktails & Conversations with Line D Candidates” hosted by the Murphy family in the Newstead neighborhood ((4 Overhill Road * South Orange)) Tuesday, May 7th from 7:30 - 8:30 pm. Line D consists of 3 candidates for Board of Trustees: Bobby Brown (Newstead resident), Toshie Davis, and Ed Moore. Join us to hear our plans for South Orange, enjoy libations/snacks, and meet great people. Also, feel free to invite a neighbor as we hope to get as much input as possible from the community. For more information about us and our positions please visit www.browndavismooreforbot.com

The thread on firefighters going door to door seems to be gone.  Anyone know why? 

susan1014 said:
The thread on firefighters going door to door seems to be gone.  Anyone know why? 

If I had to guess I would say  because someone posted about boycotting two specific township businesses due to their involvement in the campaign.

mrincredible said:

susan1014 said:
If I had to guess I would say  because someone posted about boycotting two specific township businesses due to their involvement in the campaign.

That is my guess too.  I’ve been here long enough to remember the great MOL litigation blackout, so can’t be too cranky at the moderators protecting the domain.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!