Sloan Street 2015

First nice Friday, and a crowd of classy teens and preteens are out and about.  Which is lovely, except for the n-bombs, f-bombs, and mysogonist and anti-gay slurs being launched across Starbucks and Stonys for the past half hour.  Suppose I'd expect nothing less given the presumed parent of one (or more) of them picked up three of these kids by making an illegal left in front of a pedestrian, then blocking both the handicapped spot and the crosswalk, screaming like a stuck pig at her presumed offspring to get in the damn car.  At least she was eventually drowned out by the SUV with the cheap-ass stereo blasting bass out the back. Ah, the rites of spring.

And now just asked for money by the same well-dressed woman who has asked three other times over the past month.  She must have some serious bad luck to be stranded here so often.

Worried a bit about Frank, though, as he's been MIA of late.

Frank  is in jail.  He was stopped by the South Orange Police after an elderly woman phoned them.  She was on Sloan  St. and felt that he was stalking her.  When South Orange's finest stopped him it was determined that he had outstanding warrants from Newark.   And there went Frankie.

Ah.   Thanks for the info.

How's the beach looking at Stony's?  It's nice to have a comfortable outdoor seat when taking in all this ambiance.

Haven't checked, but I can say the benches give a wider view of the wildlife.

Tonight is a riot.  Last ten minutes we've seen the following (all after SOPD left for the shift change):

- Three illegal lefts

- One parked in a loading zone

- Handicapped violation

- And the best yet... Someone holding up traffic to BACK into a spot by DD.  That one was awesome.  

DD idiot now just pulled out of the spot, and went AROUND the car waiting at the light, and made a right on SO Ave.  Sweet.

ALl the bad parking/driving stories...when will the towns learn that there is a gold mine out there?

"- And the best yet... Someone holding up traffic to BACK into a spot by DD.  That one was awesome."  

"DD idiot now just pulled out of the spot, and went AROUND the car waiting at the light, and made a right on SO Ave.  Sweet."

Tell me about it.  It's the wild wild west. I've seen the same thing. I've seen the backing into a parking spot. Once, some idiot backed out of a parking spot on the Sloan St. side of DD, kept up backing-up and then made a u-turn on Sloan St. and headed towards the circle. 

It really is quite a shame.   That area is more or less the de facto Town Center for South Orange.  As usual 90 per cent of the drivers behave responsibility and the remaining few simply have a sense of entitlement.

In Maplewood the Parking Enforcement people cannot ticket for a moving violation which is why those illegal left turns into a parking space are so frequent. 

Does South Orange have Axillary Police.? They have most enforcement powers and stationing them there would solve a lot of of problems.

author said:

In Maplewood the Parking Enforcement people cannot ticket for a moving violation which is why those illegal left turns into a parking space are so frequent. 

what?  OMG.  why even have the signs.  So who can ticket?  An actual cop?  They should reinstate the 'beat cop'.  It would pay for itself in a nano second.

ffof said:

ALl the bad parking/driving stories...when will the towns learn that there is a gold mine out there?

Exactly! One Friday evening would finance the schools for a year!

ffof said:

author said:

what?  OMG.  why even have the signs.  So who can ticket?  An actual cop?  They should reinstate the 'beat cop'.  It would pay for itself in a nano second.

The illegal lefts on Sloan outnumber MA by about 3,267 to 1.  Setting aside the other Sloan idiocy for a second, I'll wholeheartedly agree that a lawn chair set up in front of Freeman's could generate stupidly large amounts of cash.  Twice this week there wasn't even a space breaking between Kings and Freeman's.   

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.