Other practical concerns - COVID-19

drummerboy said:

anyone have any thoughts on having your laundry done by a laundromat?

are laundromats even open?

Cleaners and laundromat were considered essential. Lots of people in this area need to do their laundry in a laundromat.

I would certainly hope they’re considered essential, not everyone has laundry facilities in their home.  Because 6’ is nearly impossible to maintain in a laundromat this is one place where you do want to be wearing a good mask and not just wrap a bandana over your face

spontaneous said:

I would certainly hope they’re considered essential, not everyone has laundry facilities in their home.  Because 6’ is nearly impossible to maintain in a laundromat this is one place where you do want to be wearing a good mask and not just wrap a bandana over your face

If you can afford it, this may be a good time to go to the "wash and fold" service, which would minimize your time in the laundromat and even help out the owners but bringing in some extra money.

Just another thought here regarding school.  When I was in 8th grade, the NYC school teachers went on strike from Labor Day to right after Thanksgiving in 1968.  No technology was available other than TVs and radios.  My father went to Barnes & Nobles, which then was on 18th Street in Manhattan, and bought used textbooks and new workbooks for each subject, trying insofar as he could, to get the actual textbooks that we were going to use and the teacher's editions, so I could see the answers to quizzes.  

Some churches and synagogues, as well as teachers, evidently offered classes, about half for free and the remainder requiring some payment.   My parents didn't know about this, and by the time we found out, the strike was close to being settled.  I just plowed though the textbooks on my own.  

When the strike was settled and we went back to school, a classmate boasted that in their study group, they'd finished chapter 3 of the social studies textbook.  She asked me how far I'd gotten?  I didn't answer because I'd read the whole book.  

My problem, which my parents hadn't considered, is in everything but foreign language, I had now read and completed nearly all of 8th grade on my own.  So I was bored out of my mind for the rest of the year.

I learned a valuable lesson;  you can teach yourself a lot.

My children, as you can guess by referencing an event in 1968, are long out of the SOMD school system, but it is something to think about as we wrestle with various learning options.  You can teach yourself a lot once you are in middle to high school.  And there are lots of tools now available that are far better than used textbooks.

dianaid said:

spontaneous said:

If you can afford it, this may be a good time to go to the "wash and fold" service, which would minimize your time in the laundromat and even help out the owners but bringing in some extra money.

yes, and be aware that Speedwash on Valley requires a 15lb minimum, which I just discovered today after arriving with an 8lb load. foo.

spontaneous - Every time i scroll down the threads and see your poor ceiling, i smile and almost laugh to think of your 5 yo "exploding" christmas ornaments in the driveway.  Thanks, i needed that!!  (did you get pix of any of it, other than the ceiling?)

I’m trying to figure out how to send a picture in a private message on MOL.  My yard is such a mess I’m too embarrassed to post it publicly.  Plus the little scoundrel was running around in his underwear at the time question  He’s a handful to say the least 

mjc said:

spontaneous - Every time i scroll down the threads and see your poor ceiling, i smile and almost laugh to think of your 5 yo "exploding" christmas ornaments in the driveway.  Thanks, i needed that!!  (did you get pix of any of it, other than the ceiling?)

It gets better and better!  The pix can be for family enjoyment.  I can visualize. oh oh

mjc said:

It gets better and better!  The pix can be for family enjoyment.  I can visualize.
oh oh

And one problem is, the kid looks like an angel.

drummerboy said:

yes, and be aware that Speedwash on Valley requires a 15lb minimum, which I just discovered today after arriving with an 8lb load. foo.

Good to know.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.