ok, boomer

Gravitas was never kind to good ol’ Wile E.


DaveSchmidt said:

Gravitas was never kind to good ol’ Wile E.

 That’s good. In fact if there was a MOL awards gala, this post should be one of the award categories. 


I'm a baby boomer and have a lot of fondness for millenials ... especially the two that I gave birth to.  And I find all of the generational stereotypes troubling.  Let's go after the perpetrators of the bad stuff rather than their entire generations!


DaveSchmidt said:

Gravitas was never kind to good ol’ Wile E.

 it's not just a good idea. it's the law.


Jackson_Fusion said:

Pro-tip: a goof burbling out “ok boomer” to defend their “views” can’t defend them, because they’re probably mouth-breathingly indefensible. Ditto for the barking seals clapping and stomping like they’re watching Springer.

Frighteningly red guard of them. The society you’re in is the finest ever known to man. Improve it if you can. Or just keep banging your highchair and whine about it. Whatevs. Just keep out of the way, k?

 OK Boomer.....

Speaking as member of Gen X, I have to say that this thread is a laugh riot. I mean, if you want to know what the millennials are going on about, its all right here on proud display.



blackcat said:

I hate that the year I was born, 1963, is lumped in with Boomers.

Late 1963, even, for me. I don’t hate the connection, but like you I don’t feel it. Year of the Rabbit probably had as much to do with the way we’ve turned out as whichever generation we’re grouped with.


DaveSchmidt said:

blackcat said:

I hate that the year I was born, 1963, is lumped in with Boomers.

Late 1963, even, for me. I don’t hate the connection, but like you I don’t feel it. Year of the Rabbit probably had as much to do with the way we’ve turned out as whichever generation we’re grouped with.

 Some of us Monkeys only feel 21 no matter what the grey hairs or older sisters say cheese


Klinker said:

 OK Boomer.....

Speaking as member of Gen X, I have to say that this thread is a laugh riot. I mean, if you want to know what the millennials are going on about, its all right here on proud display.

 It's interesting to me that so many analyses of the last election will look at the hollowing out of the middle class, the despair, the high rates of addiction and suicide and how people turned to Trump are presented n the context of middle aged white men.  It's a given that all those negative forces are weighing on them.  And the story is told sympathetically. But try to talk about the same hollowing out of the middle class, lack of opportunity, etc., etc. in the context of Millennials and these young people are a bunch of entitled whiners.  More reason for Millennials to resent Boomers.  If the story is about white Boomer men, we have to be sympathetic and understanding.  But if it's about Millennials, suck it up young people, and get to work.


STANV said:

 What did the previous generation leave us? You know, "The Greatest Generation".

The threat of nuclear holocaust, racial segregation, male supremacy, hatred of gay people. While the first may still exist I do not see people building fallout shelters. And while we may not have completely "overcome" the rest we "boomers" have certainly made a great deal of progress on those.

Boomers and the silent generation left us a beautiful house, our infrastructure. We've coasted on what was given us, not doing the needed maintenance.

Who also successfully fought and given us solutions to many diseases like smallpox, polio, measles, TB. But many, primarily the "newt" generations, are losing what was gotten. The stupidity of denying vaccines.

Many of the young complain about our aged political leadership. But senior voter turnout is about 50% vs their much lower rates. If they want their interest represented then vote, not just complain.


BG9 said:


Boomers and the silent generation left ..... our infrastructure. 

 That is a big BIG stretch.  The Boomers are THE "deferred maintenance" generation.  Don't fix the water system.... I demand my tax break.

Same goes for most of the other "achievements" you claimed.  Mostly things accomplished by the WWII generation and either ignored or eroded by the Boomers.


For anyone who thinks Generation X is being ignored, we’re not.  We’re referred to as Karen.  Apparently we’re racist and homophobic.  Though the irony of a sexist insult being used seems to have gone over their heads  oh oh


? How on earth did ‘Karen’ come about?

- Sleepless in Australia


Karen started as a general insult to middle aged women.  Apparently in the US in the late 60’s and early 70’s Karen was a very popular name for girls.  A “Karen” is someone who has a “I want to speak to your manager” haircut (not my words) and is pissed that they can’t use an expired coupon.

Of course my name isn’t Karen, I don’t even use coupons let alone expired ones, and the only time I’ve ever asked to speak to a manager was when a cashier refused to serve me because she thought my $2 bills were fake.  But now I’m a Karen based solely on the fact that I was born in the 1970’s, and this also makes me racist, homophobic, and transphobic.

All these different generations coming up with generation specific insults.  Who has the time.  As part of generation X we have one insult that we use for all other generations when dealing with such nonsense.  We simply say “whatever” and roll our eyes  oh oh


I’d say ‘goodness!’, but that possibly dates me more, too cheese

I think we might call ‘Karen’s’, ‘Cheryls’ or ‘Shazza’ (as in ‘Sharon’). 
who was it who wrote that book tracking the generations, someone Popcorn?? 


"racist, homophobic, and transphobic" would be some of the last words I would use to describe Gen Xers (my generation).  I think of the generation that bridged a single phone line in the home to the ubiquitous smart phone in everyone's hands - and importantly having the wisdom and awareness to be wary of the pitfalls of screentime, social media etc.  Although we are savvy with technology (we grew up programming in DOS, brought you stuff like Google Maps, Paypal etc) we're probably the generation least likely to tweet or have a facebook account (or at least use our real names on FB) and at the same time, least likely to get hacked or publicly embarrassed online. 

Culturally, our music is bookended by the likes of Nirvana & the Pixies in the late 80s and the Strokes in the early 2000s, with an explosion of diverse hip-hop styles in the middle.  Film-wise, think story innovators like Tarantino, David Fincher, Judd Apatow.  

Most of us graduated high school / college within a few years after the crash of '87.  Job prospects weren't great, most of us college grads were saddled with loans which we simply dutifully paid off well into the 2000s.  Our grandparents lived through the depression and impressed upon our parents and us the value of hard work and developing skills and the pointless of complaining.

I remember many of us being latchkey kids, children of 2 (or 1) working parents, at a young age given the responsibility to look after ourselves after school ended until our parents returned from work.  I don't recall any school shootings or similar nonsense and for the most part, probably thanks to cable TV, MTV and the nascent internet, by the time most of us were in our early 20s, notions of racism and homophobia had been educated away.

We're puzzled by the sense of millennial entitlement - "I went to college, so I deserve a $120,000 per year, 4-day per week job in an office with a free, 5-star cafeteria and ping-pong tables on every floor.  But no, I have no experience and frankly I'm not really that interested in putting in the time - I have a pug at home to take care of."  Trust me, millennials by and large (but not all, obvi) are a difficult lot with which to work.

For the most part, I don't think there's much ill will of Xers toward Boomers per se, but I don't think there's a great deal of respect there either.  I think there's a sense of - "you guys did pretty damn well in your run and are fairly well set up...why ya gotta still be hanging around continuing to fug stuff up?" (like US politics, the environment, sexual predatory behavior aka "me too" and then covering it up, etc)....

But don't listen to me...just watch the Breakfast Club...I'm gonna go to the Home Depot and listen to Badmotorfinger on my truck's CD player on my way there...


Silly discussion.

But BTW I have known many Karens who are boomers. And by "Karen" I mean women whose first name is Karen. 


STANV said:

Silly discussion.

But BTW I have known many Karens who are boomers. And by "Karen" I mean women whose first name is Karen. 

 Lots of Karens in my age group (born in the mid/late 1950s)!


When I was growing up all the boys were named Mike and all the girls were either Karen or Lisa. 


"Karen" is another meme I seemed to have missed out on.

(calling Jackson Fusion to belittle my intellect.)


wedjet said:

For all of you boomer haters, here is some food for thought.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/millennials-side-with-trump-more-than-baby-boomers-in-microsoft-news-poll/ar-BBWUzaS?ocid=sf

that article is WAY misleading.  The question is whether the impeachment hearings led someone to be more favorable or less favorable toward Trump.  And older people became more unfavorable after the hearings.  But that may well have been because older people were more favorable toward Trump in the first place, compared to younger people.  


One fine day, 26 years from now, some snot-nosed 23 year old is gonna diss a millennial and.......

The problem is, I (pre-boomer) won't be around to bear witness. Damn.


lanky said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomers

aka the coddled, entitled generation that us scrappy Xers had to clean up after.

 OMGoodness, you don't mean that, do you?


ml1 said:

that article is WAY misleading.  The question is whether the impeachment hearings led someone to be more favorable or less favorable toward Trump.  And older people became more unfavorable after the hearings.  But that may well have been because older people were more favorable toward Trump in the first place, compared to younger people.  

 What the F??? are you talking about???


Klinker said:

 OK Boomer.....

Speaking as member of Gen X, I have to say that this thread is a laugh riot. I mean, if you want to know what the millennials are going on about, its all right here on proud display.

 OMGods, really??? Are you serious? What's the problem? And why is there a problem??? Really, relax, chill, give me a break...


spontaneous said:

Karen started as a general insult to middle aged women.  Apparently in the US in the late 60’s and early 70’s Karen was a very popular name for girls.  A “Karen” is someone who has a “I want to speak to your manager” haircut (not my words) and is pissed that they can’t use an expired coupon.

Of course my name isn’t Karen, I don’t even use coupons let alone expired ones, and the only time I’ve ever asked to speak to a manager was when a cashier refused to serve me because she thought my $2 bills were fake.  But now I’m a Karen based solely on the fact that I was born in the 1970’s, and this also makes me racist, homophobic, and transphobic.

All these different generations coming up with generation specific insults.  Who has the time.  As part of generation X we have one insult that we use for all other generations when dealing with such nonsense.  We simply say “whatever” and roll our eyes 
oh oh

 Thanks for the info. This is crazy. Where does all this come from?


lanky said:

"racist, homophobic, and transphobic" would be some of the last words I would use to describe Gen Xers (my generation).  I think of the generation that bridged a single phone line in the home to the ubiquitous smart phone in everyone's hands - and importantly having the wisdom and awareness to be wary of the pitfalls of screentime, social media etc.  Although we are savvy with technology (we grew up programming in DOS, brought you stuff like Google Maps, Paypal etc) we're probably the generation least likely to tweet or have a facebook account (or at least use our real names on FB) and at the same time, least likely to get hacked or publicly embarrassed online. 

Culturally, our music is bookended by the likes of Nirvana & the Pixies in the late 80s and the Strokes in the early 2000s, with an explosion of diverse hip-hop styles in the middle.  Film-wise, think story innovators like Tarantino, David Fincher, Judd Apatow.  

Most of us graduated high school / college within a few years after the crash of '87.  Job prospects weren't great, most of us college grads were saddled with loans which we simply dutifully paid off well into the 2000s.  Our grandparents lived through the depression and impressed upon our parents and us the value of hard work and developing skills and the pointless of complaining.

I remember many of us being latchkey kids, children of 2 (or 1) working parents, at a young age given the responsibility to look after ourselves after school ended until our parents returned from work.  I don't recall any school shootings or similar nonsense and for the most part, probably thanks to cable TV, MTV and the nascent internet, by the time most of us were in our early 20s, notions of racism and homophobia had been educated away.

We're puzzled by the sense of millennial entitlement - "I went to college, so I deserve a $120,000 per year, 4-day per week job in an office with a free, 5-star cafeteria and ping-pong tables on every floor.  But no, I have no experience and frankly I'm not really that interested in putting in the time - I have a pug at home to take care of."  Trust me, millennials by and large (but not all, obvi) are a difficult lot with which to work.

For the most part, I don't think there's much ill will of Xers toward Boomers per se, but I don't think there's a great deal of respect there either.  I think there's a sense of - "you guys did pretty damn well in your run and are fairly well set up...why ya gotta still be hanging around continuing to fug stuff up?" (like US politics, the environment, sexual predatory behavior aka "me too" and then covering it up, etc)....

But don't listen to me...just watch the Breakfast Club...I'm gonna go to the Home Depot and listen to Badmotorfinger on my truck's CD player on my way there...

 You have got to be kidding me. What makes you think you know anything about anything? "fug things up?", give me a break. The 'Breakfast Club' is a movie, and a classic at that. So, apparently you can't appreciate history either? Maybe you are the one with blinders on, if you know what they are...


reservationgirl said:

Klinker said:

 OK Boomer.....

Speaking as member of Gen X, I have to say that this thread is a laugh riot. I mean, if you want to know what the millennials are going on about, its all right here on proud display.

 OMGods, really??? Are you serious? What's the problem? And why is there a problem??? Really, relax, chill, give me a break...

 All right here on proud display. 


I posted early in this thread and then left it be for my own sanity. I made the mistake this morning of reading the last page prior to my subway ride, and man did it ever make for a frustrating commute. 

lanky said:

We're puzzled by the sense of millennial entitlement - "I went to college, so I deserve a $120,000 per year, 4-day per week job in an office with a free, 5-star cafeteria and ping-pong tables on every floor.  But no, I have no experience and frankly I'm not really that interested in putting in the time - I have a pug at home to take care of."  Trust me, millennials by and large (but not all, obvi) are a difficult lot with which to work.

For the most part, I don't think there's much ill will of Xers toward Boomers per se, but I don't think there's a great deal of respect there either.  I think there's a sense of - "you guys did pretty damn well in your run and are fairly well set up...why ya gotta still be hanging around continuing to fug stuff up?" (like US politics, the environment, sexual predatory behavior aka "me too" and then covering it up, etc)....


 This in particular is one of the more inane, lazy and untrue narratives that somehow get used to describe Millenials. I'm a millenial -- I turn 30 in about three weeks. I have a doctoral degree in a STEM field that shares about 80% of its background with engineers. It took me eight months and (this isn't an exaggeration) 300+ job applications to find a job. During that time, I got three interviews. You want to tell me that I'm entitled? That I'm lazy? That I expect too much? My generation is the most educated generation on the planet. We are grappling with the fact that many of us are swimming in college debt, with perfectly marketable degrees that are going unused. It's not enough anymore to simply have a BS/BA either, you aren't getting a decent job without a masters or some big connections. We can't afford to own a home or a nice new car. There's not a chicken in every pot for us.

The entitlement, it seems to me, is borne within the person who stares back at you in the mirror every day. You think that we don't deserve to have a good job or be paid simply because we have a college degree? Certainly seems like you feel entitled to a level of respect by the virtue of your age alone. You seem to think you're entitled to a well paying job that people younger than you aren't. Seems like you are the one who is entitled. For someone who talks about your music being bookended by Nirvana, you sure are acting like everything your generation resented. Remember that famous song Nirvana wrote about youth angst and resentment towards older generations? The one they named after a deodorant? Go listen to that.

Now that that's aside, lets parse the actual "ok boomer" thing. Millenials aren't actually too different than baby boomers. We (as generations) both grew up during periods of civil unrest and unjust wars. We both felt and feel marginalized by the generations ahead of us. We as a generation however are facing the largest existential threat to humanity short of a mini-van sized rock hurdling through the sky. Climate change has been accelerated heavily by the actions of the generations before us, and yet we are the ones who are going to have to deal with it. There's a lot of resentment on our end about this, and tbh I think it's pretty justified. Every day I grapple with the idea that maybe it's not fair to bring a child into this world knowing they'll have to deal with crippling food shortages, mass migrations, droughts, fires, etc. How many of the previous generations had to deal with this question? 

What further complicates this is the reaction we get when we try to face those issues. We are constantly shut down by the generations before us, who use that "lazy and entitled" narrative to marginalize what we have to say. We aren't the ones who made any of the decisions that brought us to where we are, and yet we're the ones who have to deal with those decisions. Is that fair? This of course is on top of all the silly, more "canonical" ok boomer stuff, like the seven posts above that abbreviate "Oh My God" as "OMGods". The generations ahead of us seem to demand respect based solely upon the virtue of age, and yet still push the "respect is earned" narrative down our throats. Our ask is simple: show us the respect we deserve as young professionals who are highly educated, highly motivated people. And also learn how to convert a word document to a PDF so we don't have to do it for you every time. 



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement