Nikki Haley 2020?

This may just be the story du jour, but it would be interesting to see if it has legs. She's got a little bit of Centrist cred with taking down the Confederate Battle Flag from the South Carolina State House. She might be someone that more mainstream Republicans could rally around with the expectation that she might pick off some independents as well.

I'm not sure the Republican party is ready to nominate a woman for the presidency at this point. Sarah Palin was selected after John McCain had all but secured the nomination, I'm not sure how a female candidate will do in the primaries. Add in the fact that she has Asian ancestry and I think there's a definite wing of the Republican party that wouldn't vote for her under any circumstances. You would definitely lose some of that Trump base both in the primaries as well as in the general election.

Oh and in case you're wondering no, I wouldn't vote for her either under any circumstances. But not because she is an Asian American Woman.

Nikki Haley is no centrist.

Mornin' Joe wants her to run!

Maybe 2024. I think the Republican party is crazy enough to support Trump again in 2020.

Of course. It would make for good TV.

LOST said:
Nikki Haley is no centrist.

I didn't say she was a Centrist, but that she had some Centrist cred. I mean she's got that one thing that she can play up to appeal to Centrists.

She supported Marco Rubio. With him at the top of the ticket they would be an interesting team. Depending on who the Dems pick, that team might snag a few Independents.

But here's a wild idea.

If the Dems ran Cory Booker and Kamala Harris against them, all of the white supremacists and xenophobes would just stay home!

apple44 said:
Maybe 2024. I think the Republican party is crazy enough to support Trump again in 2020.

I think a lot is going to depend on:

1) The state of the economy

2) The results of the Mueller investigation 

3) The state of the Korean peninsula

If La Trompe has made an unholy hash of things he will be vulnerable. Someone like Nikki Haley might see an opportunity in the primaries to grab the nomination if enough Republicans are motivated to upgrade from Trump to a mainstream GOPer.  At the very least it raises her visibility for 2024.

A dream situation would be a bloody primary, Trump loses the nomination (when did an incumbent last lose the nomination?) and then declares an independent candidacy! 

I guess we all approve of her U.N. stance to promote pro-life, abstinence only, on the U.N.'s document on gender equality.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

I guess we all approve of her U.N. stance to promote pro-life, abstinence only from the U.N.'s document on gender equality.

"We all" are not the ones she'll be trying to convince. 

Well... someone has to lose, right?

mrincredible said:

(when did an incumbent last lose the nomination?) 

1844, I think.

Well, not exactly:

1844 candidacy

Following Tyler's break with the Whigs in 1841, he attempted a return to his old Democratic party, but its members, especially the followers of Van Buren, were not ready to accept him. He knew that, with little chance of election, the only way to salvage his presidential legacy was to move public opinion in favor of the Texas issue. He formed a third party, the Democratic-Republicans, using the officeholders and political networks he had built over the previous year. 

More history.

Andrew Johnson was elected VP to Lincoln on the Republican ticket in 1864, but he was a Democrat. He was a candidate at the Democratic Party Convention in 1868 (held at Tammany Hall!) but didn't get many votes.

Reagan seemed to get close to knocking out incumbent Ford in '76, but obviously didn't happen

LBJ would have probably lost the Democratic nomination in '68 had he stayed in the race....

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!