New $10 Bill in 2020

sac said:

bluepool said:

FilmCarp said:
Abigail Adams? She had some serious influence on early US politics, even if it was through her husband.
YES! I would replace Jackson with Hamilton on the $20, and put Abigail Adams on the $10. I am sure that John would heartily approve...
Why not just put the woman on the $20 and avoid spending the money to retool both lines?

Because I don't think Hamilton gets the respect or credit he deserves (probably because he was never president). As Tom Reingold mentioned upthread, he basically created our national financial system and really deserves to be on such a heavily used and circulated bill... I know it won't happen, though.

So you don't think a woman, whoever they pick, does not deserve the respect to be on the high usage $20 bill? Considering all the other bills are men, putting a woman on the $20 tends to balance it out a bit.

Well, if this is going to turn into a gender war I would only say that Hamilton did more for the financial survival of this country than anyone, and leave it at that.

FilmCarp said:
Well, if this is going to turn into a gender war I would only say that Hamilton did more for the financial survival of this country than anyone, and leave it at that.

Thank you. Saying that Hamilton deserves this honor, is not the same thing as saying that "a woman," in the generic sense, does not deserve the honor. I'll be excited to have a woman on our paper money regardless of denomination.

SouthernBaron said:

Tom_Reingold said:
If they put a woman on the $10, does it then become worth only $8? Kidding.
I'm a fan of Hamilton's, as I'm reading his biography now. He singlehandedly designed the American economy.
Wasn't Jackson opposed to reconstruction? He doesn't sound like a hero to me.
We don't need $10 bills anyway. We need bills in powers of four or five. That is, each bill should be worth four or five times the value of the lower one. Same for coins, but there should be a small gap between the biggest coin and the smallest bill.
I think you're confusing him with Johnson. Jackson is the prez who put the pop in populism, while deporting Native Americans. He did save my hometown from the Brits in January 1815, though, so I give him a nod of appreciation.

Well, color me embarrassed! You are right!

bluepool said:

Saying that Hamilton deserves this honor, is not the same thing as saying that "a woman," in the generic sense, does not deserve the honor. I'll be excited to have a woman on our paper money regardless of denomination.

Agreed! I want Hamilton honored, and I also want more women honored.

Create a new $25 bill, so neither Hamilton nor Jackson has to be vanquished.

Train_of_Thought said:
Create a new $25 bill, so neither Hamilton nor Jackson has to be vanquished.

That would be very wasteful. As I said earlier, it is wasteful to have denominations that are too close to each other, and as such, I think we shouldn't even have a $10 bill. Proof is that it is not very heavily used.

Pardon me for not digging up a reference, but some years back I read in an article about discontinuing the penny that when we discontinued the half-penny in the mid-19th century, it was worth close to 10 cents in today's money. And we discontinued it for being too small a denomination.

I'm strongly in favor of getting rid of the penny and nickel. Look at it this way: A dime was, at one point in time, worth a modern day dollar. That means the penny was worth what a dime is worth now. At that point in time, we didn't need tenths of pennies. We don't need tenths of dimes now. We don't need half dimes, either. Adding a few cents to a cash transaction does not change the value of a transaction in any significant way. The same is true with subtracting a few cents from a cash transaction.

We should also get rid of the dollar bill and just use dollar coins. I don't know of another country that has paper money for such a low-value unit. It seems very wasteful to me, as paper money lasts much shorter than coins.

Tom_Reingold said:
I don't know of another country that has paper money for such a low-value unit.

Not that this is evidence or anything, but the Isle of Man! I showed my (new) Manx pound note to people in London three years ago and they wanted to take pictures of it. It circulates everywhere, but I wouldn't use it outside the island.

Hamilton, Franklin and Samuel P. Chase on the discontinued $10,000 bill are the only non presidents on US currency.

Andrew Jackson had his faults, but he did emphasis the power of the executive branch and on a long term basis his destruction of the very corrupt Bank of the United States was a good thing.

I guess I am getting old and conservative, but I would leave the currency alone since no woman has been President and, at least in my opinion, has the importance of Hamilton or Franklin. If we must be PC, go with the Indian woman who accompanied Lewis and Clark. I ain't goin' to try to spell her name. LOL

Sacajawea was on a dollar coin, but people didn't use it much.

Back to my original post on this, if I dare: why do we take the presidency as proof that one has been important enough to get one's face on money? We've already bucked it in underused minted money, what makes the incredibly public (in its history, if not the digital present) printing press the exclusive signifier of the elitist executive branch?

Southern, I stand in awe of your spelling ability. LOL

Who is on the currency is by long tradition. If the tradition has worked, why change it?

Mostly a 20th century tradition. I acknowledge "if it ain't broke don't fix it," but the face of money used to change every time you got a new king, and we elect a new one every four years [he said with a scowling grin].

SouthernBaron said:
Sacajawea was on a dollar coin, but people didn't use it much.

None of the dollar coins are used much. I don't know why the American public is so conservative about using dollar coins.

The filthiest bill in circulation is the one dollar bill. I once saw a homeless in NYC counting his dollar bills. His hands and the money he was handling was literally dripping in filth. Studies have shown that paper money is loaded with bacteria and viruses. Google "money study bacteria".

Coins last much longer than bills. Converting to dollar coins will reduce costs. Dollar coins are also easier and more convenient with vending machines.

Congress manages to vote on repeal of ACA about fifty times. Yet, they don't have the political will to do something as simple as dropping the dollar bill. Just do it, stop printing them. Then dollar coins will be used.

I was looking for a different old thread I had started and came across this one.

Simple update: Harriet Tubman was selected to be on a new $20 bill that was supposed to come out this year. Steve Mnuchin kicked it down the road to 2028. After DJT referred to the project as "pure political correctness" and recommended they put her on the $2 bill

Not illegal. But another act of racism and misogyny Republicans are no doubt proud of.

Trump is so fake his face is on the $3 bill.

SouthernBaron said:

Pardon me for not digging up a reference, but some years back I read in an article about discontinuing the penny that when we discontinued the half-penny in the mid-19th century, it was worth close to 10 cents in today's money. And we discontinued it for being too small a denomination.

there also use'ta be a thin, silver, 3 cent piece that was discontinued in the mid 19th century. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Lessons/Instruction

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!