My new roomate needs a name

Not a plant person but inherited a plant from a family member so I'm asking for assistance in identifying it so I can best care for it. It was in a garage in the cold for almost 2 weeks and looks like its struggling. 


Dieffenbachia — cut off the sun scorched and/or thirsty  leaves — and put it in a location where it can have indirect bright light. After two weeks in a cold garage, it deserves some TLC. It’s a lovely plant to have.


mtierney said:

Dieffenbachia — cut off the sun scorched and/or thirsty  leaves — and put it in a location where it can have indirect bright light. After two weeks in a cold garage, it deserves some TLC. It’s a lovely plant to have.

 Thanks. I had them in front of the window to let them absorb as much direct sun light as possible, d'oh. The dried out looking leaves aren't brittle in most cases but I have pulling off the ones that were and came of easily but will adjust accordingly. They're special to me because of the previous owner.  ETA - how close to the stalk do I cut the stem of the thirsty leaves?


The most important thing is to make sure it has good plant soil. If it's been in that pot for a while, lift it out, knock off as much soil as you can and replace with new potting soil. It'll reward you with very good growth. No worries, the worst - living in a cold garage for two weeks - is over for this plant

If you want to tidy it up, you can lop off the top and set the cutting in water. (Maybe try one section if you are scared you don't know what you're doing.)  It will develop roots in a few weeks. Where you took the cut, new sprouts will emerge and it might even send up a new shoot at the root level.  


.


Morganna said:

Just be aware that it is toxic to dogs and cats. 

http://www.vetstreet.com/learn/10-household-plants-that-are-dangerous-to-dogs-and-cats

 My house has had poinsettias for decades; ditto cats and a dog. Never an issue. However, cats cannot control themselves when it comes to spider aka airplane-plants. Any plant with thin, long leaves dangling, tempting a passing feline, are major attractions. Worse thing, it can cause cat to upchuck the chewed up bits of green. 


bigben_again said:

The most important thing is to make sure it has good plant soil. If it's been in that pot for a while, lift it out, knock off as much soil as you can and replace with new potting soil. It'll reward you with very good growth. No worries, the worst - living in a cold garage for two weeks - is over for this plant

If you want to tidy it up, you can lop off the top and set the cutting in water. (Maybe try one section if you are scared you don't know what you're doing.)  It will develop roots in a few weeks. Where you took the cut, new sprouts will emerge and it might even send up a new shoot at the root level.  


.

 It's been basically reported prior to coming in the house. It was transported on its side and lost a lot of soil. I got new soil and repositioned the support post before adding it removing even more of the old soil. I was advised to give it about 2-3 quarts of water 1 time per week and so far the soil has remained moist. Any insight on how/where to cut the brown leaves and yellow stems?


Snip them close to the base. What is left will die off and can be removed easily by hand for tidiness.


mtierney said:

 My house has had poinsettias for decades; ditto cats and a dog. Never an issue. However, cats cannot control themselves when it comes to spider aka airplane-plants. Any plant with thin, long leaves dangling, tempting a passing feline, are major attractions. Worse thing, it can cause cat to upchuck the chewed up bits of green. 

 Spider plants are also hallucinogenic for cats - which may explain their popularity with them    question


mulemom said:

 Spider plants are also hallucinogenic for cats - which may explain their popularity with them   
question

 Didn’t know that! I always tried to keep these plants in hanging baskets — out of sight, hopefully out of mind.

My latest cat looks like he might enjoy a challenge— I will keep an eye out.  When Harry the Cat is awake, that is!

Thanks!


I think it's a mild effect, something like what catnip induces.  Harry has the most Adorable toes!!


I too am enjoying opening MOL and seeing Harry's tootsies.


Harry meows thanks grin

If I hadn’t found Harry before the quarantine, I think I would have lost it! He is a marvelous companion to be holed up with! We talk a lot.



Seeing a lot of new sprouts since I cleaned it up but seems like something is eating the leaves 


That second one looks like it was damaged a while ago. You can just round off the unsightly part with a pair of scissors and nobody will know the difference. That what they do at flower shows.


bigben_again said:

That second one looks like it was damaged a while ago. You can just round off the unsightly part with a pair of scissors and nobody will know the difference. That what they do at flower shows.

 That's possible as I mentioned in the OP that the plant just moved from its last home and experienced a lot of trauma. The first picture is a new bloom since settling in but was sprouting during the move. I'll just keep an eye on it going forward. I'm in new territory so I may be over reactive at this point  wink


Pets?  Leaf tips bumping something??




In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.