Movie Talk

The documentary Time is streaming on youtube for a limited time

If you like low-budget, well-written time travel movies, try Synchronic (2020).

Speaking of which, Primer (2004) is pretty cool too.

Never heard of Synchronic but those same guys made a weird low budget sci-fi movie called "The Endless" which I liked a lot.

Yeah, the review I read said that Synchronic continues their road to maturity as film makers. Hadn't heard of them before. I'll have to check out The Endless.

In case you missed it from last week here's the Bafta Winners - Nomadland and Frances one.  The Father took a few with Hopkins as Best Actor,

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/11/entertainment/bafta-2021-winners/index.html

Soul - Best Animated film

My Octopus Teacher - Best Doc

I watched Promising Young Woman last night for the 2nd time. Very powerful film and a great mood shifter. For some reason, as  I had seen it before, and knew what was coming, I was upset throughout the entire movie. I highly recommend it and I hope it wins something at the Oscars on Sunday. Anyone else see it and like it? 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I watched Promising Young Woman last night for the 2nd time. Very powerful film and a great mood shifter. For some reason, as  I had seen it before, and knew what was coming, I was upset throughout the entire movie. I highly recommend it and I hope it wins something at the Oscars on Sunday. Anyone else see it and like it? 

yes and yes

Speaking of being upset through a whole movie, I re-watched the original Papillon last night. One of my favorite movies, but unrelentingly dismal, with just a handful of respites. 

drummerboy said:

yes and yes

Speaking of being upset through a whole movie, I re-watched the original Papillon last night. One of my favorite movies, but unrelentingly dismal, with just a handful of respites. 

Papillon. A good film that I completely forgot about.

Yeah - it didn't get the best of reviews, but I think it has excellent production values, good script, great acting by all involved, and I could watch McQueen and Hoffman all day in those roles.

Never saw the remake though. Probably never will.

drummerboy said:

Yeah - it didn't get the best of reviews, but I think it has excellent production values, good script, great acting by all involved, and I could watch McQueen and Hoffman all day in those roles.

Never saw the remake though. Probably never will.

Has Hoffman ever been bad in a film? Not long ago I ran across Little Big Man. Another film that is rarely played. More favorites, Kramer vs. Kramer, The Graduate, Marathon Man.

Hoffman's 20 Worst Movies

I haven't seen most of them. The Fokkers movies are kinda fun but aren't exactly classic cinema, and of course there's Ishtar, which I've never seen. Top of the list is something called The Lost City, which I never heard of.

I remember thoroughly enjoying Ishtar when it came out. And I haven’t been struck down by lightning yet.

drummerboy said:

Hoffman's 20 Worst Movies

I haven't seen most of them. The Fokkers movies are kinda fun but aren't exactly classic cinema, and of course there's Ishtar, which I've never seen. Top of the list is something called The Lost City, which I never heard of.

Woo Hoo. I love your lists. I'm diving in!

Disagree with the list on Runaway Jury and Outbreak.  

Mister Magorium is a film I've not really watched but always take a few minutes to enjoy the magical toy store.

Ooh, I'll spend all day defending The Messenger (apart from the decision not to cast one of my friends in it). I really enjoyed that film. Sphere was pretty bad, but no worse than Outbreak for me, though.

Runaway Jury made me thing of another Hoffman role as an attorney, Sleepers. File that one under not easy to watch but a film I never pass by. What a cast.

Morganna said:

Runaway Jury made me thing of another Hoffman role as an attorney, Sleepers. File that one under not easy to watch but a film I never pass by. What a cast.

Don't forget Marathon Man, a great NYC Hoffman film with Laurence Olivier. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Yup that was in my first response above.

"Has Hoffman ever been bad in a film? Not long ago I ran across Little Big Man. Another film that is rarely played. More favorites, Kramer vs. Kramer, The Graduate, Marathon Man."

If you liked the movie Little Big Man, I think you'd love the book. One of my handful of favorite novels ever.  

bub said:

If you liked the movie Little Big Man, I think you'd love the book. One of my handful of favorite novels ever.  

It's been a long time since I carved out the time to read a novel. Maybe this is the season. I have one that I've sworn I'm going to finish.

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Yup that was in my first response above.

"Has Hoffman ever been bad in a film? Not long ago I ran across Little Big Man. Another film that is rarely played. More favorites, Kramer vs. Kramer, The Graduate, Marathon Man."

re Marathon Man- clove oil really works for tooth pain.

drummerboy said:

re Marathon Man- clove oil really works for tooth pain.

And it keeps oil paint from drying too fast.

bub said:

At a party with co-workers 32 or 33 years ago, we were chatting about great books that had been turned into movies, and one guy chimed in, "Yeah, like Neighbors." 

I had never laughed so hard. Neighbors? I may have been rolling on the floor.

He was serious. "Read it," he said. Chastened, I agreed. I never laughed -- that way -- at Thomas Berger again. 

Yes, Neighbors.  The Feud is also funny and worthy.   Berger was a character.  It took time for Little Big Man to develop its reputation.  I saw an Atlantic piece, I think from around the time of Berger's death, saying that the book might have been the Great American Novel.

bub said:

Yes, Neighbors.  The Feud is also funny and worthy.   Berger was a character.  It took time for Little Big Man to develop its reputation.  I saw an Atlantic piece, I think from around the time of Berger's death, saying that the book might have been the Great American Novel.

It was indeed a great American novel. But for my vote, THE great 20th Century American novel is either American Pastoral or A Prayer for Owen Meany. A subject for another thread. 

I'm not much of a fan of war movies, but Patton is pretty damn good. Mostly thanks to George C. Scott and a good script.

drummerboy said:

I'm not much of a fan of war movies, but Patton is pretty damn good. Mostly thanks to George C. Scott and a good script.

And while it’s not really an opening song — because, you know, there’s some talking first — when the theme does come in I imagine it must be music to a trumpet lover’s ears.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

And while it’s not really an opening song — because, you know, there’s some talking first — when the theme does come in I imagine it must be music to a trumpet lover’s ears.

yeah, there's that too. A Jerry Goldsmith high point.

Classic Cary Grant screwball comedy, The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer on the Movies channel.

"You remind me of a man 

What man?

A man with a power 

What power?

The power of Hoodoo

Hoodoo?

You do

Do what?

Remind me of a man.

Has anyone seen Sound of Metal?

drummerboy said:

Has anyone seen Sound of Metal?

Yes - it's great!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.