Movie Talk

drummerboy said:

One of my big gaps in film is Fellini. Don't know why but I'm just not drawn to him.

Have you seen Juliet of the Spirits? If not give that one a try. Again the star is Giulietta  Massina, Fellini's wife.

I'm also a big fan of 81/2. Black and white and glamorous. Hard to remember a film so jam packed with such a variety of stunning women.

Bummer. I missed Bye Bye Birdie on TCM today.

Why didn't anyone tell me?

I watched and recorded 

Somehow in retrospect I wish that Elvis did play that part.

Yeah - the only thing I didn't like about Jesse Pearson's performance is that he can't dance - which is painfully obvious in the big A Lotta Livin' To Do production number.

But he nailed Honestly Sincere. Nailed it.

No talk required.

Andy Griffith alert for tonight on TCM

8pm No Time for Sergeants 

10:15pm A Face in the Crowd

and for Jimmy Stewart fans

4:45pm The Shop Around the Corner

I can watch A Face in the Crowd a thousand times, and I don't think I'll ever fail to be amazed at its prescience.

(honorable mention to Ellsworth Toohey)

drummerboy said:

I can watch A Face in the Crowd a thousand times, and I don't think I'll ever fail to be amazed at its prescience.

(honorable mention to Ellsworth Toohey)

Always think of this scene whenever I watch Trump.

Saw Motherless Brooklyn tonight - great movie - love Ed Norton.  HBO has it at the moment.

Haven't seen that yet. Yeah, big Ed Norton fan here too.

jamie said:

Saw Motherless Brooklyn tonight - great movie - love Ed Norton.  HBO has it at the moment.

I saw it when it came out and I thought it was terrific. Rich, intense, smart, handsome movie making. It had added resonance for me because Alec Baldwin's character, Moses Randolph, was a stand-in for Robert Moses who drove (no pun intended) so much of the development where I'm from on Long Island. And I spent so much of my youth in the State Park named for hm. 

I recommend it highly. I'm interested in what Norton is doing next. (And if he was named for that OTHER Ed Norton.) 

Speaking of Brooklyn, we really liked this hip earthy rom com (and its short too):

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_incredible_jessica_james

Did I know Mike Myers was in Inglorious Basterds? I don't think so.

For you list people, The Atlantic has a list of 25 horror movies to watch, just in time for Halloween.

Just saw Richard Jewell - very well done!

this appears to be real

How did Linda Blair not get an Oscar for The Exorcist?

drummerboy said:

How did Linda Blair not get an Oscar for The Exorcist?

Just watched it today. If you remember Mercedes McCambridge complained that she did not get credit for the voice of the demon.

Friedkin claimed she did not ask for credit initially.

Loved Jason Miller as Father Damien Karras.

Everyone was great in that movie. It really holds up so well.

drummerboy said:

Everyone was great in that movie. It really holds up so well.

Agree 100%.  

It's still hard to watch that green vomit though. Yuck.

I was traumatized by it at the time.  There was a real juiced up air of hysteria about it when it was first in the theaters.  I kept lights on, kept our dog in my bedroom for a good while.  It really raised the bar on horror although I now view it as a great movie, period, not just a genre picture.  It has aged well.  

I remember, as a kid, we went in to the city to watch it and we were all scared ****less.

We then went to see it again, and because we were cool, we laughed at it, and that impression stuck with me for a long time..

Took me quite a few years before I really appreciated it.

bub said:

I was traumatized by it at the time.  There was a real juiced up air of hysteria about it when it was first in the theaters.  I kept lights on, kept our dog in my bedroom for a good while.  It really raised the bar on horror although I now view it as a great movie, period, not just a genre picture.  It has aged well.  

Exoricism was such a mysterious teaching in the Catholic religion and even if many of us left the faith, traces of those fears remained. 

You are right too, that there was a great deal of hype around the film and endless lines waiting to see it. It is possibly unmatched in that genre.

I saw half of The Exorcist when I was Regan's age at my sister's house in the mid 80s. I finally got to see the whole thing at a midnight screening I was covering when I worked in a movie theater during college. Such an amazing film, we were totally blown away at the time. Then the next weekend they showed Exorcist II: The Heretic and we laughed and jeered all the way through it. Then they showed Exorcist III the weekend after that and we were freaking out by the end of it. The hospital scene! Yikes!

I need to re-watch III. Haven't seen it in many years. I guess I'll skip II.

Thought our movie talk thread could use a seasonal touch..

A Halloween list of some intelligent/meaningful horror movies:

The Babadook

A Quiet Place

The Others

Let the Right One In (The American remake, Let Me In, isn't bad either)

Get Out

The Shining

The Sixth Sense

Good list. I've seen them all, though it's been a while since I've seen The Others.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!