Movie Talk

bub said:

Westerns.  At the classic end, I take Shane over High Noon.  At the obscure end, I love Barbarosa, with Willie Nelson and Gary Busey, directed by Aussie Fred Schepisi.

"Kill Barbarosa... and bring me his cajones, on a stick."

Just saw Inheritance, with a very hairy Simon Pegg

Pretty good little thriller. Recommended. On Cinemax. Maybe other places.

Watched FAST COLOR (2018) on Prime last night. A dystopian vision of a world dried up, no rain, etc. Stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Lorraine Toussant, and David Strathairn.  Liked it very much. Excellent cast and no over-the-top super hero stuff, just women with extraordinary abilities that struggle in the world.  

for you list lovers out there, here's an interesting list of the top 100 movies of the 2000's. Lots of foreign films.

https://lwlies.com/articles/100-best-films-of-the-2000s-part-1/

Da Vinci Code on now 10AM on the SYFY channel followed by Angels & Demons. I'm a Dan Brown fan.

The Red Shoes at 8PM on TCM.

Tremors was on today. One of the great low-budget monster movies.

drummerboy said:

my hero

From the Fountainhead?

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

my hero

From the Fountainhead?

yup, it was on this afternoon. I love it. It's such a strange movie.

drummerboy said:

yup, it was on this afternoon. I love it. It's such a strange movie.

As a book , I liked Atlas Shrugged better but I am aware that Ayn Rand is not a beloved figure,  still at fourteen I was hungry for anything and everything in print.

I'm the opposite. I'm a big fan of The Fountainhead book. Back in the 80's I was reading it once a year. As a matter of fact, when I first read it, once I got to the end, I waited a second and started reading it again.

Most people who rag on Rand's novels have never read them.

drummerboy said:

Huh. Not to question your assertion — my evidence is only anecdotal — but every person whom I’ve read or heard rag on Rand’s novels has given reasons and context drawn directly from the works, suggesting that they have read them.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

Huh. Not to question your assertion — my evidence is only anecdotal — but every person whom I’ve read or heard rag on Rand’s novels has given reasons and context drawn directly from the works, suggesting that they have read them.

My experience has been quite the opposite. I rarely see any details indicating they've read the book.

So it's a draw.

drummerboy said:

My experience has been quite the opposite. I rarely see any details indicating they've read the book.

It’s a drift, but since you raised it, and you’re the OP, what kinds of nonspecific things do they say about the novels when ragging on them?

It's hard to be specific about non-specifics.

But apart from the "rape" scene in Fountainhead, I don't hear much other than criticism of her "over-wrought" style and just the general anti-Randism that permeates the discourse. None of which requires reading her books - you can get that from reading what other people say. I rarely see anything about specific characters, for example. If I said Ellsworth Toohey to those people, they'd say "huh?". All they know is John Galt.

Never read it, not particularly interested in it, and never commented on it based on second hand opinions.  But there did always seem to be a "meme' about it and her, with opinions (seemingly 2nd hand, often) going to extremes.  As I understand it, it is the manifesto of modern libertarianism.  There's a hated housing project, or something like that.  That's as far as I can get with my 2nd hand book report.  

Watched The Verdict tonight after coming across this on twitter.

Great movie. Forgot this was a David Mamet script. Even though he's kind of an AH, I love his movie work.

Any fans of Bad Words - directed by and starring Jason Bateman?

I like it.

We watched ENOLA HOLMES on Netflix, a Netflix original that they're promoting. It was fun and light and didn't take itself too seriously. Add a star if you're a fan, like my son, of anything Holmes-related. Worth viewing when not in the mood for anything heavier. 

drummerboy said:

Watched The Verdict tonight after coming across this on twitter.

Great movie. Forgot this was a David Mamet script. Even though he's kind of an AH, I love his movie work.

Loved that movie.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

We watched ENOLA HOLMES on Netflix, a Netflix original that they're promoting. It was fun and light and didn't take itself too seriously. Add a star if you're a fan, like my son, of anything Holmes-related. Worth viewing when not in the mood for anything heavier. 

Love all things Holmes. I've have the complete collection on my mantle. 

Does your son prefer the old Basil Rathbone films or the Robert Downey interpretation of Holmes?

Or the beautifully produced BBC(?) series from the 80s with Jeremy Brett.

Or for fun The Seven-Percent Solution, with Alan Arkin and others.

George C. Scott, They Might Be Giants.

Speaking of heavy, caught “La Strada” on TCM the other night. So heart wrenching. 

One of my big gaps in film is Fellini. Don't know why but I'm just not drawn to him.

To avoid starting a new thread, I’m wondering if there have been any scenes in films that have caused you to cry. The aforementioned La Strada has me in fetal by the end.

Oh geez. I cry all the time. I'm an easy mark.

I will say though that the scene that tore me apart the most was the ending to Dancer in the Dark. OMG.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!