Movie Talk

The movie in which Kris Kringle thrashes a substandard Santa, but it’s always booing Philly fans who take the fall.

drummerboy said:

TCM is showing Miracle on 34th Street tonight. 

I'm not sure I approve of seasonal favorites being aired non-seasonally.

Apparently they're "live tweeting" it.

That is completely wrong.  

I've been watching Gandhi It's a favorite. And a favorite quote.

Edward R. Murrow: [at Gandhi's funeral] The object of this massive tribute died as he had always lived - a private man without wealth, without property, without official title or office. Mahatma Gandhi was not a commander of great armies nor ruler of vast lands. He could boast no scientific achievements or artistic gift. Yet men, governments and dignitaries from all over the world have joined hands today to pay homage to this little brown man in the loincloth who led his country to freedom. Pope Pius, the Archbishop of Canterbury, President Truman, Chiang Kai-shek, The Foreign Minister of Russia, the President of France... are among the millions here and abroad who have lamented his passing. In the words of General George C. Marshall, the American Secretary of State, "Mahatma Gandhi had become the spokesman for the conscience of mankind, a man who made humility and simple truth more powerful than empires." And Albert Einstein added, "Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth."

Warren Beatty on TCM tonight. Bonnie and Clyde, Reds, Bugsy and more

Morganna said:

I've been watching Gandhi It's a favorite. And a favorite quote.

Edward R. Murrow: [at Gandhi's funeral] The object of this massive tribute died as he had always lived - a private man without wealth, without property, without official title or office. Mahatma Gandhi was not a commander of great armies nor ruler of vast lands. He could boast no scientific achievements or artistic gift. Yet men, governments and dignitaries from all over the world have joined hands today to pay homage to this little brown man in the loincloth who led his country to freedom. Pope Pius, the Archbishop of Canterbury, President Truman, Chiang Kai-shek, The Foreign Minister of Russia, the President of France... are among the millions here and abroad who have lamented his passing. In the words of General George C. Marshall, the American Secretary of State, "Mahatma Gandhi had become the spokesman for the conscience of mankind, a man who made humility and simple truth more powerful than empires." And Albert Einstein added, "Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth."

He is not loved by all in India now. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

He is not loved by all in India now. 

No and after fasting almost to the point of death to bring the country together, he was assassinated. And he would be sad to see where it is now.

But passive resistance will always be embraced by those who shun violence.

Just thought of a film I love The Departed.

Watching Patton on FX

Had no idea that Coppola was one of the screenwriters.

Movie news you can use (well, news to me anyway)

Macbeth by Joel Coen

One of our most-anticipated films of the year–and one which unfortunately had to shut down about
two-thirds through production due to the ongoing pandemic–is Joel Coen’s new adaptation of the Shakespeare tragedy Macbeth, starring Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand in the lead roles. Backed by A24, apart from a cast that also includes Brendan Gleeson, Corey Hawkins, Moses Ingram, Harry Melling, Ralph Ineson, not much else has been known about the approach to retelling this classic story–until now

PTA's next film

It’s a few months delayed from its original intended start date, but Paul Thomas Anderson has now begun shooting his Phantom Thread follow-up, an ensemble feature set in the 1970s in San Fernando Valley. Akin to his previous film––where we first learned of the casting of Vicky Krieps in an on-set photo and not via a press release––the director has quietly kicked off production, as evidenced by a handful of set photos, ahead of any official announcement.

August 26 is Women's Equality Day. Worth watching this fabulous film Iron Jawed Angels.

I think this video clip is more of an example of the film than that poster.

Great music.

The other night TCM aired for the first time a 1947 William Powell comedy, The Senator Was Indiscreet, about an incompetent politician who wants to be president — and has the means to get there. (Thanks to his longtime diary, which contains details of all of his party’s misdeeds.)

It’s the only film directed by George S. Kaufman, and it shows. Lots of awkward scenes, more than a couple of them outright offensive. The plot is full of holes. And Powell looks ridiculous in a wig that I can only assume was intended to mock George Washington. 

Yet somehow I couldn’t stop watching. I laughed out loud at spots, and the senator’s big legislative proposal happened to offer relief for the U.S. Postal Service: a requirement that letters be written on tissue paper, to lighten the load on mail carriers. 

I had never heard of the movie before, but rarely have I seen one both so bad and so worth the time I spent watching it. I won’t forget it anytime soon.

ooh, TCM has one of my favs on right now - All That Jazz with Roy Scheider.

"It's show time folks!"

drummerboy said:

ooh, TCM has one of my favs on right now - All That Jazz with Roy Scheider.

"It's show time folks!"

Love that show but you are missing G I Jane once again. Hooyah

No, I managed to catch GI Jane, somewhere, sometime over the summer.

Hooked on this song. 

jeebus, is there a better production number in a movie than Bye, Bye Love?

that thought led me to this article, where Bye, Bye Love doesn't even make the top 50.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2772536/the-50-greatest-musical-numbers-in-movies/

Cretins!!

drummerboy said:

No, I managed to catch GI Jane, somewhere, sometime over the summer.

The “family TV” version has some interesting dialogue overdubs. Like at the end where Demi Moore says to Viggo Mortenson, “Kiss my stick!”

drummerboy said:

that thought led me to this article, where Bye, Bye Love doesn't even make the top 50.

Cretins!!

Another list where you’d hardly know that Black Americans starred in, watched and sometimes got support to make movies, too.

ridski said:

The “family TV” version has some interesting dialogue overdubs. Like at the end where Demi Moore says to Viggo Mortenson, “Kiss my stick!”

LOL yes!

That movie was my workout movie. As If I could ever do a one armed push up.  I was GI Jane but in my version I leave the nice boyfriend and run off with Vigo Mortenson.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

Cretins!!

Another list where you’d hardly know that Black Americans starred in, watched and sometimes got support to make movies, too.

yeah, I was led to another list

https://flipscreened.com/2019/11/14/the-top-10-dance-scenes-in-musical-films/

which was just dance scenes, where they somehow forgot to include this

Coppola is re-editing Godfather 3 for a December release.

Maybe he'll get it right this time. Hope so.

https://ew.com/movies/the-godfather-part-3-francis-ford-coppola-edit-theaters/

drummerboy said:

Coppola is re-editing Godfather 3 for a December release.

Maybe he'll get it right this time. Hope so.

https://ew.com/movies/the-godfather-part-3-francis-ford-coppola-edit-theaters/

My friend Michael Wincott was in the Sicilian. I'm not sure I ever got through the movie. Parts 1 and 2 were good but 3, no. The casting of Sofia Coppola in that romance with Andy Garcia that fell flat. I blocked out most of it. 

I was never mad about Diane Keaton in that series either. Come to think of it Talia Shire was annoying as well. 

I was shocked in the first movie that Morgana King was Morgana King. After hearing that moody voice singing A Taste of Honey, I had an entirely different image of her. Sometimes I'd rather just hear the song and make up my own vision of the singer.

I wasn't crazy about Keaton either. Come to think of that, post Annie Hall, I've never been crazy about her.

Sofia, who is a talented director, creeped me out in III. I thought Talia was good. When she became annoying in II, she was supposed to be annoying. I thought she was good in I. I honestly don't remember if she was even in III. Maybe she wasn't?

TCM alert this morning. Jack Lemmon special

9:30 AM Some Like It Hot (1959)
11:45 AM The Apartment (1960)

Some Like it Hot seems to be on an awful lot lately.

Both classic Jack. Love him

Don’t care what they’ve done editing GF3. Its a dud and can’t be revived. Coppola’s just looking for attention and some pocket change.

Morganna King perfectly cast as mama Corleone. Uncanny in fact. Her entire family first attitude very on point.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.