Movie Talk

Oh sorry. Italian film

Was “The Killers” in that list? Also, why no musicals?

annielou said:

Also, why no musicals?

My Fair Lady, Singin’ in the Rain and, depending on your definition, Fantasia.

I would have chosen a better Paul Newman film than Cool Hand Luke. 

So  many to chose from. Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, The Long Hot Summer, The Verdict, Absence of Malice, The Hustler. 

drummerboy said:

No West Side Story?

Do you think more weight is given to dramas, than musicals and comedies?

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

No West Side Story?

Do you think more weight is given to dramas, than musicals and comedies?

I posted the methodology earlier for reference. I think it helps explains the list’s leanings.

DaveSchmidt said:

I posted the methodology earlier for reference. I think it helps explains the list’s leanings.

I'll read it, but I was thinking in general. It seems that  there are more lists of great drama than great comedy.

Are there less comedies made or are there so few great ones?

Morganna said:

I'll read it, but I was thinking in general. It seems that there are more lists of great drama than great comedy.

Are there less comedies made or are there so few great ones?

I treasure laughter, and therefore comedies; I’m right there with Woody Allen’s character, in Hannah and Her Sisters, on the redemptive spirit of Duck Soup. (Missing from the list!)

But on the whole, I’d say, drama covers more ground — there’s more to do with it, and there’s more it can do. It can penetrate deeper. So I can see why value judgments of what’s great would favor it, no matter how many great comedies there are.

P.S. And there are many.

Comedy is way harder to do than drama.

OK so let's make a Comedy list.  I consider comedy a quest for the grail. 

Not over thinking this but I am insane about the performance of Robert Carlyle and the cast of The Full Monty.

Wait. Hold on. Whoa. 

A list of Paul Newman movies without Hud, Butch and The Sting?

Morganna said:

I'll read it, but I was thinking in general. It seems that  there are more lists of great drama than great comedy.

We should have known where the answer was: Maine.

https://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1092&context=honors 

DaveSchmidt said:

Wait. Hold on. Whoa. 

I did plan on including Butch and The Sting. Wasn't sure if I was going overboard with Newman. And I fell into the trap of leaning towards drama.  Not sure that I've seen Hud. I also considered Somebody Up There Likes Me but I don't think I've seen the whole film as it's rarely played. I am a fan of boxing films. 

Ooo and I forgot Exodus. Amazing how many good films are rarely shown and some are on constantly. 

Kind of liked From The Terrace because I loved Joanne Woodward's portrayal of the wicked wife. A very different role for her. 

Morganna said:

Amazing how many good films are rarely shown and some are on constantly. 

I recently signed up for the TCM bimonthly email, which includes an alphabetical list of all the movies scheduled for the month. Got my first installment a day or two ago, and it has already paid dividends, allowing me to set up recordings of What’s Up Doc and Bedazzled. 

The latter would definitely be on my list of top comedies (unless American is a prerequisite). The former I loved as a 10-year-old when it came out, but I don’t think I’ve seen it in its entirety since then. That one might end up on my list, too.

DaveSchmidt said:

I recently signed up for the TCM bimonthly email, which includes an alphabetical list of all the movies scheduled for the month. Got my first installment a day or two ago, and it has already paid dividends, allowing me to set up recordings of What’s Up Doc and Bedazzled. 

The latter would definitely be on my list of top comedies (unless American is a prerequisite). The former I loved as a 10-year-old when it came out, but I don’t think I’ve seen it in its entirety since then. That one might end up on my list, too.

Good pick Bedazzled. Peter Cook was a wicked Devil. Hate to see British films excluded. I already broke that rule with The Full Monty. 

Watching The Grapes of Wrath on TCM for the bazillionth time.

John Carradine is amazing

DaveSchmidt said:

Wait. Hold on. Whoa. 

I watched Butch & Sundance and Absence of Malice just in the past week.

drummerboy said:

Watching The Grapes of Wrath on TCM for the bazillionth time.

John Carradine is amazing

Love Grapes of Wrath. 

Love Steinbeck

Train_of_Thought said:

Haven't seen Absence of Malice play for years. Where did you find it?

Train_of_Thought said:

I forget: Which one had Sally Field on a bicycle?

DaveSchmidt said:

I forget: Which one had Sally Field on a bicycle?

The one where she works in a factory, where raindrops keep falling on her head.

Morganna said:

The one where she works in a factory, where raindrops keep falling on her head.

“No Mo’ Rain!”

DaveSchmidt said:

“No Mo’ Rain!”

Very clever.

I've always thought that Raindrops... was the absolute worst placement of a song in a movie ever. I've seen the movie at least ten times, probably more, and it still makes me cringe.

100%. Had nothing to do with the characters or setting or time period. Very strange.

This treacle almost ruined the band for me.

annielou said:

100%. Had nothing to do with the characters or setting or time period. Very strange.

yeah, it kind of jolts you back to current day and out of the film's time period.

On another thread I commented that music in The Third Man was so intrusive and loud that it was startling, and yet I found myself Intrigued by it.

Speaking of music, watched a favorite film last night, The Big Chill. Fun soundtrack. Funny dialogue. Jeff Goldblum and William Hurt were my favorite characters. And still several of the characters annoyed me. More of them than I remembered.

drummerboy said:

annielou said:

yeah, it kind of jolts you back to current day and out of the film's time period.

well, it turns out, that was the whole point of the thing.

at least according to Professor Julian Cornell

Another good piece on the subject, about Redford's misgivings about the song placement at the time.

I still don't like it.  cheese

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.