Movie Talk

Last night, for remote movie night with my kids, we watched GLORIA (Chile; 2013: Dir: Sebastian Lelio;  subtitles; 1'50"). 

It's a wonderful movie that I can't recommend enough. Complex desires, melancholy and loss in the life of a middle-aged woman; lead actress Paulina Garcia is sublime, subtle, moving, heart-breaking. 

It's on Prime and on Hulu. 

Going back to Mighty Wind, et al...

I just realized (doh!) that Lenny in Laverne and Shirley was Michael McKean.

drummerboy said:

Going back to Mighty Wind, et al...

I just realized (doh!) that Lenny in Laverne and Shirley was Michael McKean.

wow - I never made the connection either - he's been in a lot recently.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Last night, for remote movie night with my kids, we watched GLORIA (Chile; 2013: Dir: Sebastian Lelio;  subtitles; 1'50"). 

It's a wonderful movie that I can't recommend enough. Complex desires, melancholy and loss in the life of a middle-aged woman; lead actress Paulina Garcia is sublime, subtle, moving, heart-breaking. 

It's on Prime and on Hulu. 

Totally agree...I remember having the same reaction when I saw it a few years ago.  Highly recommend it too.

Caught up with "Nebraska" last night.  The woman who plays Bruce Dern's wife steals the movie.  

Watched one of my favorite movies for the zillionth time. G I Jane. Demi Moore is great, love Viggo Mortensen. And the Pretender's songs are beautiful. Best of all Goodbye. 

I saw that GI Jane was airing, and I almost watched it, but it had started already. Have never seen it. I'll try to catch it next time.

Is some channel doing a Demi Moore thing, because A Few Good Men was on yesterday too?

Yesterday would have been the 95th bday of El Hajj Malik El Shabazz so I watched my favorite Denzel Washington film and one of Spike’s best.

What a performance!

flimbro said:

Yesterday would have been the 95th bday of El Hajj Malik El Shabazz so I watched my favorite Denzel Washington film and one of Spike’s best.

What a performance!

Sometime I'll tell you the story of my dinner with Alex Haley. 

Late Night is a fun movie - on Prime with Emma Thompson and Mindy Kaling.  Written by Mindy Kaling.

I finally caught The Kite Runner. Years ago my co - teacher put it on the reading list. I watched it today and was so moved I watched it a couple of hours later when it ran again.  It's heartbreaking and the little boy who played Hassan left a deep impression on me. It's a film that I will keep thinking about. I remembered the beautiful store filled with Afghani clothing, jewelry and art across from my apartment on Bleeker St, It was such a magical place. 

Apparently Make Love Not War never caught on.

drummerboy said:

I saw that GI Jane was airing, and I almost watched it, but it had started already. Have never seen it. I'll try to catch it next time.

Is some channel doing a Demi Moore thing, because A Few Good Men was on yesterday too?

GI Jane is coming on now on AMC

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

GI Jane is coming on now on AMC

it's on again tomorrow too. 3pm I think. all set to record it.

I don't like watching movies on AMC very much though. Between the commercials and the edits, they can really ruin a movie.

drummerboy said:

I don't like watching movies on AMC very much though. Between the commercials and the edits, they can really ruin a movie.

Does your cable provider not do “on demand”?

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

No cable. I got YouTubeTV as my main TV service. A lot is available on demand. Not this.

I've got all seasons of Andy Griffith available, for instance. woohoo!

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

No cable. I got YouTubeTV as my main TV service. A lot is available on demand. Not this.

I've got all seasons of Andy Griffith available, for instance. woohoo!

Ah, gotcha. I’m watching Rifftrax on Pluto.tv and the commercials are insane.

Last night I watched The Wrong Missy on Netflix. Oy. 
It's for fans of David Spade and Rob Schneider only. As dumb as a movie can be. But very funny at times. Spade his lost much of his comic energy. Too bad. 
Also, kind of a breakout performance by Lauren Lapkus whom I always liked. 

hmmm. pluto.tv? never heard of it. ya learn something new everyday.

drummerboy said:

It's a very cool channel.  Someone there is very good at plucking quality movies and oddball TV shows    

drummerboy said:

They’ve designed a website that works just like cable (no on demand, though) if you really like certain shows. So there are entire channels that are 24 hour THAT SHOW. You like Classic Dr Who? There’s a channel which shows nothing but that. And they do have some great genre movie channels, too, and music channels. I don’t think you have to sign in to watch it. I just don’t care about most tv shows to go there, but I do like the fact that they effectively have 2 MST3K channels.

This is worth a watch. As someone commented "It's like a painting brought to life"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNw49VtretQ

eta:

correct link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNCxNntn2yc

Is there a better "meet cute" then when Dudley Moore meets Liza Minnelli in Arthur? With a big ol' assist from John  Gielgud.

How soon they forget It Happened One Night.

drummerboy said:

This is worth a watch. As someone commented "It's like a painting brought to life"

Except it's a short story you can read and listen to with no other images.

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

I don't understand.

Saw Craig Bierko in an SVU rerun and remembered how much I loved Cinderella Man. Odd that some films are run repeatedly, and some are rarely shown. I'd enjoy seeing Cinderella Man. Actually there are so many boxing films that I love. My favorite is still On The Waterfront, but there are a few others like Requiem For A Heavyweight, Somebody Up There Likes Me.

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

I don't understand.

This is what the link takes me to.

Morganna said:

Actually there are so many boxing films that I love.

Not boxing, but close: Ever see Night and the City (a.k.a. Hardly Anybody Down Here Likes Anyone)? I caught it for the first time a few weeks ago. Worth it just for the young Herbert Lom.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.