Movie Talk

OOO I liked Quiz Show. Where did you find it ?

The American President, precursor of West Wing, and I have the whole DVD collection and watch episodes when I want to feel hopeful about what politics could be.

I would enjoy finding Game Changer the McCain/Palin story. and perhaps.Primary Colors about Bill Clinton's campaign.

In a fit of insomnia I watched Men of Honor again. Recently caught for the zillionth time A Few Good Men. 

If I can find GI Jane I can complete my military trilogy.

Quiz Show is on Amazon Prime, though I happen to have the DVD. Must have bought it long ago, probably in  a remainder bin..

hmm, hadn't heard of that one. looks interesting.

Following up on the pandemic film festival, I caught up with one last night on Netflix that had been on my sci fi list for a while.  A terrific weird creepy first act though not as strong in the back stretch. Still worth a watch if you like this sort of thing.  Solid cast including, of all people, Glenn Close:

The Girl With All the Gifts (2017)

bub said:

Following up on the pandemic film festival, I caught up with one last night on Netflix that had been on my sci fi list for a while.  A terrific weird creepy first act though not as strong in the back stretch. Still worth a watch if you like this sort of thing.  Solid cast including, of all people, Glenn Close:

There's one marvelous shot that they did with a drone in Pripyat, standing in for London after the you-know-what has completely taken it over. The book is better, as always, but I really liked the movie and the casting is superb, especially the girl.

I will have to find another way to watch Penny Dreadful. Altice/Optimum raised their prices on their customers and in my area discontinued Showtime. They have yet to answer phone calls and only have the repeated message about longer wait times due to the Coronavirus. I've waited over an hour. Online chats are robotic and give no answers but refer you to online articles.

To add to the aggravation they always end with the question "Was this helpful." My cats look on in alarm as I scream at the top of my lungs: !@#$%!

ridski said:

bub said:

There's one marvelous shot that they did with a drone in Pripyat, standing in for London after the you-know-what has completely taken it over. The book is better, as always, but I really liked the movie and the casting is superb, especially the girl.

I loved the girl.  I also like the actor who plays the sergeant.  He was big in Brit/Irish movies at one time but I haven't seen him in a long while.

Once the movie shifted settings, it became a lot more like movies and TV shows of this genre.  Not bad at all, just well worn territory.  I suppose it would be very hard to match the fresh, mysterious vibe of the first 45 minutes or so.  

bub said:

I loved the girl.  I also like the actor who plays the sergeant.  He was big in Brit/Irish movies at one time but I haven't seen him in a long while.

Once the movie shifted settings, it became a lot more like movies and TV shows of this genre.  Not bad at all, just well worn territory.  I suppose it would be very hard to match the fresh, mysterious vibe of the first 45 minutes or so.  

Paddy Considine. As great in comedies like Hot Fuzz as he is as the nervous reporter in The Bourne Ultimatum.

I watched Fury last night - WW II movie with Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeouf about tank warfare.

Wow.

If you can tolerate war movies, give this a watch if it comes your way. (It was on a cable channel, not sure if it's streaming anywhere.) Great performances and some great action sequences. The final battle is something to see. And the final shot is sobering as hell. I felt drained when it was over.

I didn't know this, but German tanks were vastly superior to American ones. Ours were just rolling death traps.

We are picking first episodes of blockbuster films.

Started two days ago.  So far:

Jaws

Jurassic Park

Men in Black today.

Best Regards

Ron Carter

Just watched Strike up the Band.

Mickey Rooney was one talented mofo.

Watching The Shawshank Redemption for the gazzilionth time.

I humbly submit that the last 30 minutes of this movie, which starts with Andy's escape, is about the most perfect bit of movie making ever.

drummerboy said:

I humbly submit that the last 30 minutes of this movie, which starts with Andy's escape, is about the most perfect bit of movie making ever.

It was on the other day, and I thought of posting that it was one of those films I watch no matter where it is in the story. I think a gazzillion is about right. I always liked the fact that it was written by Stephen King.

And for that matter I have watched another King film many times, Misery.

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

It was on the other day, and I thought of posting that it was one of those films I watch no matter where it is in the story. I think a gazzillion is about right. I always liked the fact that it was written by Stephen King.

And for that matter I have watched another King film many times, Misery.

Misery is a bit too painful to watch over and over for me, but yeah, if it's on, I'll probably go to it. I just skip the ankle scene.

I've been watching The Green Mile a lot lately too, as it's on often - seems like once a month. It's really grown on me. I didn't care for it when it first came out. I was wrong.

drummerboy said:

Misery is a bit too painful to watch over and over for me, but yeah, if it's on, I'll probably go to it. I just skip the ankle scene.

I've been watching The Green Mile a lot lately too, as it's on often - seems like once a month. It's really grown on me. I didn't care for it when it first came out. I was wrong.

Yeah The Green Mile is a good one.

I don't know how far in advance programming is done, but I thought that there should be a flood of comedies. Sometimes I drag myself away from the news and find a very grim selection on HBO and Showtime, which had a bunch of Grade Z horror films. The only thing I watch regularly on HBO is Bill Maher and My Brilliant friend. If I catch John Oliver I'll watch him as well.

I could use a good laugh about now.

Speaking of Shawshank, for this viewing I was especially struck by Brooks's monologue before he committed suicide.

It's just brilliant. Whitmore should have earned an Oscar nod, just for this.

Watching The Zero Effect, with Ben Stiller, Bill Pullman and Ryan O'Neal. One of my favorite movies.

Anyone else a fan?

yes

drummerboy said:

Watching The Zero Effect, with Ben Stiller, Bill Pullman and Ryan O'Neal. One of my favorite movies.

Anyone else a fan?

The dialog. The twists and turns. The love story.

It's so good.

It does "off beat" very well.  A fun kooky movie.

And who can forget the folk-singing?

Available for rental at $1.99 on youtube. 

Ooo Folk singing, that reminded me of a comedy from that crazy ensemble, A Mighty Wind. If you like off beat this group always get me giggling.

Yeah they're great, but I like Best in Show the most. It was just on recently.

But from Mighty Wind, this scene is a favorite. Keep an eye on Higgens' face as Lynch recounts her story.

drummerboy said:

Yeah they're great, but I like Best in Show the most. It was just on recently.

But from Mighty Wind, this scene is a favorite. Keep an eye on Higgens' face as Lynch recounts her story.

Oh no, I forgot that scene. Its classic! 

Best in Show is great.

Earlier and without the whole group, I loved Spinal Tap!  I wish they would run that more often. I'm cracking up thinking of the model of Stonehenge. Priceless film.

For Your Consideration and Waiting For Guffman are hysterical as well. 

Maybe we need a new poster. Hmm Didn't attach.

Hmmm. I didn't even know about For Your Consideration.

drummerboy said:

Hmmm. I didn't even know about For Your Consideration.

And I learned a new word researching them Mockumentary. 

I take comedy very seriously, bit of an oxymoron there, so much so that I grew up bothered by sitcoms or comedic films that didn't make me laugh.  Notice I didn't say bad comedy because it may make someone else laugh.

But films that do make me laugh are collectible. I used to have almost the entire collection of Neil Simon films. I'm pretty impressed with all of the Christopher Guest Mockumentaries as well.

If laughter could be bottled, I'd buy it.

drummerboy said:

I''ll raise you with the last 20 minutes (kitchen scene) of Moonstruck. 

Red_Barchetta said:

drummerboy said:

I''ll raise you with the last 20 minutes (kitchen scene) of Moonstruck. 

Good call. That's pretty perfect too.

Moonstruck, some great lines in that film. 

Do you love him Loretta?

Aw ma, I love him awful.

Oh God, that's too bad.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.