Movie Talk

watching Forbidden Planet on TCM.

man was that movie so ahead of it's time with special effects. Just brilliant. I can't think of a movie surpassing  it until 2001. (the movie, not the year)

And Anne Francis was quite the vision for this young teen's eyes.  cheese

Thought of another one for the apocalypse film festival.  The little little seen "Take Shelter" starring Michael Shannon.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/take_shelter

bub said:

Thought of another one for the apocalypse film festival.  The little little seen "Take Shelter" starring Michael Shannon.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/take_shelter

thanks for the rec. I like Shannon.

I think the first movie I saw him in was Bug, which I recommend. Warning - a bit creepy.

I was remiss in not mentioning that Jessica Castain co-stars, which I did not remember.  Its not unlike Bug.  Smart, understated, creepy. 

DaveSchmidt said:

Anatomy of a Murder

Paths of Glory

To Kill a Mockingbird

Breaker Morant

The Verdict

Just caught a courtroom drama that I had forgotten. The Judge, great cast, Robert Duvall, Robert Downey Jr (I'm a big fan) 2014.

Also didn't realize how many Gene Hackman films qualified. Runaway Jury, The Firm,  Class Action, and The Chamber. 

Also remembered Presumed Innocent.Harrison Ford, Raul Julia.

Don't know how I forgot "12 Monkeys" for the apocalypse film festival.  A pandemic-driven sci-fi gem.   I'll throw in "10 Cloverfield Lane" just for the cabin fever factor.  Starring a truly f'in scary John Goodman.   

How about a MAPLEWOOD ONLINE FILM FESTIVAL. We'll all agree on a film to watch and start a thread to discuss it?

(I'm doing this with my kids: we're all gonna watch Parasite this weekend and have a Zoom to talk about it next week.)

Not suggesting this for T's Film Festival but two of the most horrifying films are on Showtime, The Lovely Bones and Prisoners.

Because sometimes being terrified by a film is a nice break from the news.

Morganna said:

Not suggesting this for T's Film Festival but two of the most horrifying films are on Showtime, The Lovely Bones and Prisoners.

Because sometimes being terrified by a film is a nice break from the news.

I do not do horror films, BTW. I don't like that scared feeling. I saw GET OUT and liked it quite a bit but that's as far as I'll go. Just sayin'.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I do not do horror films, BTW. I don't like that scared feeling. I saw GET OUT and liked it quite a bit but that's as far as I'll go. Just sayin'.

I've loved them since childhood when I watched reruns of old black and white films like Dracula and Frankenstein. I like the fact that the good guys alway win. Very reassuring. Unlike the news.

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I've loved them since childhood when I watched reruns of old black and white films like Dracula and Frankenstein. I like the fact that the good guys alway win. Very reassuring. Unlike the news.

Unfortunately, the first wave of slasher films of the late 70s started a trend of the monster always winning.  I generally hate slasher films and that specific element of them.

watching DePalma's Blow Out tonight. Great movie.

bub said:

Unfortunately, the first wave of slasher films of the late 70s started a trend of the monster always winning.  I generally hate slasher films and that specific element of them.

Agree that slasher films cheapened the genre.

As for a scary 70s film that was based on an urban legend, try the first When A Strange Calls. A classic.

Watched Apocalypse Now yesterday. The sound of helicopters brought me back to the background noise during the evening news reporting on the Vietnam War.

Got a favorite line from that film?

Morganna said:

Watched Apocalypse Now yesterday. The sound of helicopters brought me back to the background noise during the evening news reporting on the Vietnam War.

" I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

"You are a messenger sent by grocery clerks to collect an overdue bill"

I did those from memory so I hope they are accurate

STANV said:

Morganna said:

" I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

"You are a messenger sent by grocery clerks to collect an overdue bill"

I did those from memory so I hope they are accurae

The "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" speech ends with "it smells like.... victory."

I used that line at work to my much younger boss recently and wondered if he was too young to know Apocalypse Now. Turned out he was very familiar with it.

"Charlie don't surf!"

I came across an interesting thread on twitter where people were naming their favorite Steve Martin movies.

Looking back, though he's had a lot of duds, he's also made some classics. Not sure I can think of a comedian with a better track record.

My favs, in no particular order:

• Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
  • The Jerk
  • All of Me
  • Planes, Trains and Automobiles
  • Roxanne

I heart The Jerk so much. I also have a soft spot for Dead Man Don't Wear Plaid and L.A. Story.

Apocalypse Now quotes:

The napalm speech is a classic, and the way it finishes... "Some day this war is gonna end." Hard to know if he thinks he's being really poignant or wishing that it never will.

This exchange is so great, too...

Chef: How come all you guys sit on your helmets?

Soldier: So we don't get our balls blown off.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is an underappreciated gem.  I always liked Glenne Headley, who died all too young in the last couple of years I think.  

The Spanish Prisoner.

Bowfinger.

I like The Spanish Prisoner a lot too.

===================================

Don't mean to switch subjects again, but I found this a good resource

https://kathleengeier.substack.com/p/the-cinephiles-guide-to-old-and-new

It inspired me to finally watch The Apu Trilogy, which has been on my list for a long time.

I'm scatter brained today.

Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly?

Both. My wife and I were discussing just last night, when Singing in the Rain was on, how their styles complemented each other. Neither stepped on the other’s toes.

I certainly enjoy watching them both, but I've always had a preference for Astaire. His dancing always looks effortless to me. He just floats along the dance floor. And no one uses their arms better. Kelly frequently looks like he's working at it - though to be fair, his dancing was far more athletic.

movie alert: Koyanisquatsi at 10pm on TCM

drummerboy said:

movie alert: Koyanisquatsi at 10pm on TCM

Don't get TCM and miss it. BUT that was one hyper film. Was the music by Philip Glass? I'm watching the first episode of HTO The molecule that made us on 13. Paired with a Sauvignon Blanc it is a relaxing change from MSNBC. But if Koyanisquatsi is to your taste, I suggest double espressos to keep you in the mood.

Yes, Philip Glass. Another fav of mine, so it's a twofer. I often just listen to the soundtrack.

nan said:

I went to see the movie Dark Waters tonight, which was very dark.  I'm not sure what else to say except go see it and don't trust corporations to look out for your welfare ever and replace your non-stick pans with cast iron (which I did a few years ago).  Also, Mark Ruffalo is a great actor and human being. 

This is a long read relative to "Dark Waters."  

huffingtonpost.com:  Welcome to Beautiful Parkersburg, West Virginia

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/welcome-to-beautiful-parkersburg/

Nan, you're right.  Money and power can lubricate the wheels of justice in unthinkable ways.  Same church, but a different pew.  Caution: it involves the assault of a minor, but no graphic details in the Forbes article.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/denizcam/2019/06/14/how-a-du-pont-heir-avoided-jail-time-for-a-heinous-crime/#5444874529db

So what have people been watching lately while locked up?

I've recently seen Escape From L.A., The Color of Money, Quiz Show and Training Day.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.