Movie Talk

drummerboy said:

well, it was 14 years ago, and I don't remember much.

Take another look and maybe add it to the Pandemics list. Takes place during the 1920's cholera epidemic in China. 

Speaking of the Norton list I tried Fight Club last night while I was waiting for The Plot Against America. Tuned in late and left early. Found some dark humor here and there,  but I OD'd on Brad Pitt pretty fast.

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

well, it was 14 years ago, and I don't remember much.

Take another look and maybe add it to the Pandemics list. Takes place during the 1920's cholera epidemic in China. 

Speaking of the Norton list I tried Fight Club last night while I was waiting for The Plot Against America. Tuned in late and left early. Found some dark humor here and there,  but I OD'd on Brad Pitt pretty fast.

I watched episode 1 of The Plot Against America last night, too. I guess episode 1 is the only one available now. I thought it was exceptionally well done (so much better than that horrible Hunters) but I anticipate it being very depressing.

Regarding The Plot Against America - I am deeply envious of HBO subscribers right now, even though I might not work up the nerve to watch it if I could.  The book itself was seriously upsetting, and that was "before"....

for you fans of Dazed and Confused, I came across this "Making of" on youtube that you might like.

P.S. Dazed and Confused absolves all of the sins of Richard Linklater from making Boyhood.

“Well, look, all I'm sayin' is ... that if anybody ever starts referring to Dazed as the best flick of my life, remind me to kill myself.”

mjc said:

Regarding The Plot Against America - I am deeply envious of HBO subscribers right now, even though I might not work up the nerve to watch it if I could.  The book itself was seriously upsetting, and that was "before"....

I tried to kick the HBO habit but gave up. I'll eat less food, turn off all the lights, and lower the thermostat but I draw the line at sacrificing HBO. Come over to the dark side!

grin  At this point we don't even have cable.  Eventually it will be streaming somewhere, or on DVDs if they still exist.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I watched episode 1 of The Plot Against America last night, too. I guess episode 1 is the only one available now. I thought it was exceptionally well done (so much better than that horrible Hunters) but I anticipate it being very depressing.I'm struggling with that accent.

Episode 2 is on. Great cast.

Thanks for the link, Morganna - that could be quite a week of watching!

DaveSchmidt said:

“Well, look, all I'm sayin' is ... that if anybody ever starts referring to Dazed as the best flick of my life, remind me to kill myself.”

meh - any director would say that about their first major film. It consistently ranks among his best works, even beating that silly film occasionally.

Some movies I've had to stop watching because I've watched them so many times, I can recite the script with the actors: The Way We Were, The Princess Bride, Pretty Woman, The Jerk      

Sorry, I posted this first in the entirely wrong thread!)

Watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Haven't seen it in a long time. What a good movie. Great to see Tracy and Hepburn in their swan song.

drummerboy said:

Watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Haven't seen it in a long time. What a good movie. Great to see Tracy and Hepburn in their swan song.

Love that film. Another favorite is Woman of the Year. Hmm and Desk Set. And can't forget Adam's Rib.

Katharine Houghton. Ooof.

@drummerboy, perhaps a candidate for your pandemics list with a twist. Since we are all trying to wash our hands, wear gloves and masks if you can find them, how about the funniest take on OCD behavior. 

As Good As It Gets with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt.

Juniemoon said:

Some movies I've had to stop watching because I've watched them so many times, I can recite the script with the actors: The Way We Were, The Princess Bride, Pretty Woman, The Jerk      

Sorry, I posted this first in the entirely wrong thread!)

What's wrong with reciting the script with the actors? I'd watch Casablanca on a huge Theater screen and do that under my breath.

STANV said:

What's wrong with reciting the script with the actors? I'd watch Casablanca on a huge Theater screen and do that under my breath.

I could be a stand in for most roles in All About Ever, A Christmas Carol, and  On The Waterfront.

I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Laying in bed sleeplessly overnight, the 1980s movie "1918" popped into my.head, probably because the Spanish Flu figures prominently in it.  Anybody see that?  A very young Matthew Broderick is in it.  It's based on a Horton Foote story or book about a small town Texas family.  

Tonight I'm going to watch "Never Rarely Sometimes Always" on Amazon. It's new and has gotten very good reviews. 99% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Faced with an unintended pregnancy and a lack of local support, Autumn and her cousin, Skylar, travel across state lines to New York City on a fraught journey of friendship, bravery and compassion.

If others want to watch it we can discuss it tomorrow.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Tonight I'm going to watch "Never Rarely Sometimes Always" on Amazon. It's new and has gotten very good reviews. 99% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Faced with an unintended pregnancy and a lack of local support, Autumn and her cousin, Skylar, travel across state lines to New York City on a fraught journey of friendship, bravery and compassion.

Its through Amazon Prime right? A monthly charge yes?

Morganna said:

I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Possibly the greatest line in movie history.

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I haven't looked but if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber, I think it's included but I'll confirm.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I haven't looked but if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber, I think it's included but I'll confirm.

My mistake, the movie isn't available on Amazon until April 3rd.

STANV said:

“Big clocks are never wrong!” 

I've seen All About Eve a million times. I usually recite every line. But her most well know line is in this clip. Worth watching also for the appearance of the dazzling MM. And has there ever been a more passive aggressive character than Anne Baxter.

Watching Slumdog Millionaire. Great film and love the dance scene at the end.

DaveSchmidt said:

STANV said:

I Googled that quote. Where can I get that Movie?

STANV said:

I Googled that quote. Where can I get that Movie?

Sorry, STANV, streaming and its options are not my strong suit. I watched the few short clips I could find on YouTube last night, and they reminded me how much I enjoy Cold Turkey and its performances, from the opening Randy Newman song (sorry, you-know-who) to that big clock at the end. Its dark humor about community relations during a kind of lockdown is just the tonic for me now.

The incomparable Tom Poston, whose left leg alone is funny.

No mortal out-exasperates Vincent Gardenia, but Jean Stapleton does. And in a cast featuring the master, Bob “Big Clocks” Newhart, the unheralded Barbara Cason does the comedic phone call to perfection.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.