Movie Talk

I saw two really good indie films at the Angelika this weekend. They might be on streaming, not sure.

Blue Bayou - a heart-breaking story of adoption, immigration, family and love. Very well done and very moving. 

I'm Your Man - a German science-fiction-ish film about a brilliant, sensitive woman academic and the robot built with algorithms to be her perfect partner. Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey) is absolutely amazing as the robot - and who knew he spoke German? 

drummerboy said:

Saw a somewhat old movie last night, Malice (1993) on HBO. An Aaron Sorkin script. (I know he's kind of in disfavor these days, but I'm a fan). Pretty good movie. Several unexpected twists. Great cast.

Love that movie! If its on HBO I'll look for it On Demand.

Has anyone seen Tenet? I've been hesitant to see it because of some dicey reviews but it was on HBO the other night and I decided to watch it.

I thought it was very good. Some of the set pieces were remarkable. The twisty-time plot was a bit confusing, until I decided to stop thinking about it too much.

Anyone else?

Saw The Many Saints of Newark.

terrible.

And if you weren't a Sopranos fan in the first place, I'm sure it was many times worse than that.

IMDB gives it a 7.1. Don't believe it. I'd give it a 3.

I really enjoyed seeing the characters - but the overall plot was super lame.  It would of had a shot to be a good series.  Oh well.

Intrusion on Netflix was a fun thriller.

Re-watched one of my favorites this weekend: Bake Edwards' Victor/Victoria (1982) . A sexy gender farce with a fantastic cast, including Julie Andrews, James Garner, Robert Preston (brilliant - this is NOT the Music Man) , Alex Karras, Lesley Ann Warren (spectacular), John Rhys-Davies and others, it is delightfully witty and entertaining. Tag line: A woman pretending to be a man impersonating a woman.

Working off of a recent RT list of best movies of 2021, saw and enjoyed a couple of feel good movies.  The animated "The Mitchells vs. Machines."  Maybe best described as a more demented Incredibles.  Also liked a kung fu movie called "The Paper Tigers."  It's billed as a comedy, and has laughs, but its a more of a sweet buddy movie than anything else.

jamie said:

I really enjoyed seeing the characters - but the overall plot was super lame. It would of had a shot to be a good series. Oh well.

My thoughts exactly.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about Bond.

I'd like to see Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp to get me in the Halloween spirit. I'd also enjoy seeing the same actor in From Hell, the Jack the Ripper tale.

Slight thread drift, I'm not a cooking show regular, but I am watching the Food Channel's Halloween cooking challenges. Halloween, art and food. Worth a peek.

I'm finding Showtime has more films On Demand than HBO. Quite a few of them movies that I'm happy to watch again. This is about 10% A mixed bag of some of the classics, a few that were just well known, and a few I stumbled across and watched.

Sure some of them show up on other stations but with commercials.

Pretty long but the easiest way to list them.

American History X

The American President

Back to School

Belushi

The Big Lebowski

The Birds

The Bone Collector

The China Syndrome

Chinatown

Clockwork Orange

Crash

Dangerous Liasons

Dark Waters

Devil's Advocate

Eyes Wide Shut

The Firm

Forrest Gump

The French Connection

Fried Green Tomatoes

Full Metal Jacket

G I Jane

The General's Daughter

Glengarry Glen Ross

Midnight Express

Munich

The Odessa File

Outbreak

Platoon

Psycho

Raging Bull

Rear Window

Scent of a Woman

Seven

Vertigo

If you want a great western, Old Henry.  But I will cost you $7.95.  

Disappointed in "Shiva Baby," a recent streaming movie that has gotten some buzz.   Every character, including the main character, is unappealing, and pretty much everyone in the movie is an unfiltered boorish lout.  Even recognizing that a touch of caricature is necessary for satire, the way people talked and behaved so departed from any shiva call I've ever been too that I just couldn't enjoy it.

Found this interesting site. If you like the idea of director's commentary but never get a chance to actually listen, these guys listen to the commentary and comment on it so you don't have to.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/topics/commentary/

I really miss director's commentaries. The best part of the DVD era for me.

Fun/funny (but sometimes scary) movies for Halloween:

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

Tremors

Slither

Attack the Block

American Werewolf in London

Save Yourselves

Evil Dead 2 and 3

Shaun of the Dead

What We Do In The Shadows (any version)

The Cabin in the Woods

Student Bodies

Somewhere between Halloween and Christmas I love to watch Bell Book and Candle

I'd love to catch I Married A Witch.

My son got married this past weekend and I thought a number of times over the weekend of the film LITTLE MURDERS (1971). As I recall, it's a bitter and hysterical satire of New York City life in the early 70s. Directed by Alan Arkin and written by Jules Feiffer, it starred Elliot Gould, Vincent Gardenia, Doris Roberts, Lou Jacobi, Arkin and Donald Southerland. I remember the wedding scene as being particularly biting. 

I'm gonna try to find it on streaming. 

My son got married this past weekend and I thought a number of times over the weekend of the film LITTLE MURDERS (1971).

That's a helluva sentence. cheese

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

My son got married this past weekend and I thought a number of times over the weekend of the film LITTLE MURDERS (1971). As I recall, it's a bitter and hysterical satire of New York City life in the early 70s. Directed by Alan Arkin and written by Jules Feiffer, it starred Elliot Gould, Vincent Gardenia, Doris Roberts, Lou Jacobi, Arkin and Donald Southerland. I remember the wedding scene as being particularly biting. 

I remember a scene of Gould shooting a rifle out of an apartment window.  It's very much a movie of its time.  I don't think it is shown often on any channels.

bub said:

I remember a scene of Gould shooting a rifle out of an apartment window.  It's very much a movie of its time.  I don't think it is shown often on any channels.

Hilariously, it's on Disney+ and the Criterion Channel.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Congratulations! And Little Murders is one of my favorite films. I grew up reading the comic strips of Feiffer in The Village Voice.

Alan Arkin was priceless.

Always a fan of the long tracking shot

ridski said:

bub said:

Hilariously, it's on Disney+ and the Criterion Channel.

Damn, I don't think I get either of those channels.  

drummerboy said:

Always a fan of the long tracking shot

That is incredible. It looks like you can see the wire the camera is hanging from once it passes the flag, but no matter what, that is an amazing shot, and I'm surprised (having taken 5 years of film studies classes) I've never seen it before.

One of my favorite holiday movies is on AMC

Trains Planes and Automobiles with John Candy and Steve Martin. Playing at 6, 8, 10 and midnight.

Morganna said:

One of my favorite holiday movies is on AMC

Trains Planes and Automobiles with John Candy and Steve Martin. Playing at 6, 8, 10 and midnight.

yeah, I love that one too. 

This was a fun movie - good for all ages, will certainly be a contender for best animation this year - The Mitchells vs The Machines - on Netflix:

Saw this recently

My Darling Clementine (John Ford classic)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.