MOL knitters

Well, the Noros that got cropped out are considerably larger, since I'm not smart enough of a knitter to adjust the number of stitches depending on the yarn. The squares are all the same number of stitches. It's surprising how the weights of the squares vary a lot. If I don't start sewing them together, my house will be overrun with oversize woolly coasters.

The NJ Sheep and Fiber Festival is this weekend!

http://njsheep.net/festival/

Thanks, @jasper! I always miss that one.

I just got tickets for a bus trip to Rhinebeck next month with Do Ewe Knit in Westfield. Anybody else going?

I'd like to go to Rhinebeck but won't know till closer to the date whether I can make it or not, so I'll probably end up driving if I do go. I might try to go to the NJ one on Sunday. Have any of you been to the one in Vermont? Been contemplating that one, too. Like I need more yarn. But I do, right?

Look at it this way: The wool industry needs your support.

LMK if you'd like to carpool on Saturday, @zucca, @addiemoose and other knitters of MOL. And if you would like to go to Rhinebeck, DEK has three seats left, at last check.

Unfortunately, I can't go this Saturday. If you'd like to go for just a few hours Sunday morning, I could maybe do that.

thanks @j_r, can't make it Saturday, probably not Sunday either. gah!

An estate sale in South Orange this weekend may be of interest:

https://www.estatesales.net/NJ/South-Orange/07079/1454391

oooooohhhhhh I've never done that before! Thanks so much for posting. I'll check it out!!!!!!

yes go to the sale j_r mentions! it was bigger than a yarn store...$1 a skein. lots of acrylic and knitpicks stuff, bins upon bins upon bins!

And books! A big bookcase in the basement is stuffed with just about every knitting book you've ever heard of. And needles! And dozens and dozens of hemostatic forceps (!?). I came away with nothing but astonishment -- and an invitation to the Thursday knitting group. Thank you, Kari!

Do we know if this is really an estate sale or a moving sale? I'm not a knitter, but had lovely conversations with the woman who lived there during dog walks.

I think they said she had moved to Florida. I wish I had had conversations with her. I would love to know what she knitted.

Weird question, but does anyone want to frog a sweater I made for the yarn? It's about 10 skeins of Filatura Soft Silk in white. 50% silk, 50% merino, worsted weight. I've made two sweaters out of this stuff (Hourglass, frogged it, then Simple Summer Tweed Top-Down V-Neck). Neither was worn. Pretty sure I just can't bear to knit it into one more thing. 

big big news, yarn store coming to south orange!!!!! (from facebook) bliss!!!!

The Local Yarn Store58 mins · 

Welcome to your new Local Yarn Store!!

Located right in South Orange Village (next door to South Mountain Tavern), we'll be opening our doors this September.

Not only will we have beautiful yarn, classes and project support, we will have a play space so that you can come hang out and make your things while your kids have ample distraction.

Give us a shout and tell us which yarns and notions you like to see at YOUR Local Yarn Store.

I'm in.

(next door to South Mountain Tavern)

j_r said:

I'm in.

(next door to South Mountain Tavern)

Can't wait!  We've been too long without a LYS!  As for what yarns I'd like to see - a few suggestions:  Berrocco offers great yarns that are reasonably priced.  I love their line.  It'd be good to have a couple of really "basic" lines, like Cascade or Classic Elite and Dream in Color.  I'm a sock knitter....I have big feet, though, so sock yarns that have 320-350 yards aren't quite enough, but 2 skeins are way too much.  I'd love to see sock yarns that have 380-420 yards.  Other favorites: Madelinetosh, Malibrigo, Art Yarns, Frog Tree. I love merinos, and merino in combination with other lovely fibers (think silk, alpaca).  I HATE acrylic - I guess for folks with allergies there may be a place for acrylic (although I know there is a school of thought that nearly no one is actually allergic to wool, but to some of the processing some wools are subject to), but would think cotton, bamboo, and other fibers might make better substitutes for wool.  do we know who is opening this store?  

Is this place open yet? I went looking today, as I need some buttons for a baby sweater, but I didn't see it. Is it ground floor or upstairs? Is it the narrow place they're working on?

I just saw a FB post from The Local Yarn Shop:

"After all that hurry up and waiting, I am a tornado of preparation! Inside painting will be done today and exterior pain happening tomorrow

I know what I'd really like to see - hours on both Saturday and Sunday!  Seems like most of the stores in the area are open on one or the other, but not both.  And evening hours a night or two a week would be much appreciated as well, for those of us with full time non-knitting jobs!

The Local Yarn Store is open! I stopped by on Tuesday and met Irina. The shop is full of excellent, beautiful yarn, including an irresistible selection from Malabrigo and Neighborhood Fiber Co. I intended to buy a skein for a Wooly Wormhead hat MKAL and instead wound up with enough for a sweater. 

I'd love to meet some of you there on a Friday night, when the shop is open until 8 and wine is opened at 6.

Anyone know if the Local Yarn Store will be open tomorrow?  

https://www.thelocalyarnstore.com/

I see they usually have Sunday hours, but wanted to double-check since it's Xmas eve day.

ETA: I just saw her email address on the website, sent her my question, and she quickly responded. (Not open tomorrow).

I have a KnitPicks yarn winder available free to any knitter who would like to claim it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.