Memories of September 11, 2001

Knowing what had happened before the news services began reporting:

Looking out the office window and seeing the jigsaw-shaped hole where part of the first World Trade Center tower to be hit had been whole just moments before.

Looking out the office window and seeing an outline of embers where the second World Trade Center Tower to be hit had been whole just moments before.

-.-

Seeing parade watcher lines of spectators standing on Chambers Street between Centre Street and Church Street, facing south, staring for hours at the remains of the two towers.

Seeing an unending procession of pedestrians walking across the Brooklyn Bridge towards Brooklyn.

Police knocking on our office door telling us to evacuate the building NOW! (We learned later of reports that the building next door was a viable next target.)

A police officer in the lobby telling us to walk north and cross the bridge into Queens.

Walking north towards Penn Station. Sticking to small, narrow streets in case more notable buildings were future targets.

Getting to Penn Station to find the station closed and literally thousands of persons waiting for it to reopen while a single police officer stood guard at the main entrance.

Boarding a train hours later. A passenger near me saying that she was a court officer and had not joined her colleagues heading towards the Trade Center to help. Wondering later if she would develop PTSD out of survivor's guilt.

Finally getting home in the late afternoon and seeing my husband, who also worked within a few blocks of the Trade Center, calming sitting in front of the TV, watching the news coverage.

Hearing jets overhead and the confusion, murmuring discomfort. "I thought they said all planes were grounded". Watching 2 fighters roar north over the city. Breaking out into a raucous cheer and thinking, ""we have air cover".

Then thinking, "wait what? we needed air cover?"

When the first plane struck the Twin Towers news reports speculated that it was a personal aircraft. Very shortly it was obvious that we were experiencing a planned attack as the situation quickly deteriorated. I was witnessing the loss of many human beings; it was difficult to contemplate the magnitude, the shock of it. I took a hand towel from the bathroom and bawled into it. One visual that remains with me were the loved ones who posted pictures of their missing friends and relatives in lower Manhattan. In the darkest hours there was always hope and love, the glue of all of it.

http://www.legacy.com/sept11/home.aspx

I was teaching in Jersey City's, Ferris H.S. From some of the corridors, the WTC buildings were clearly visible. It was my first year teaching in Jersey City so I had only a couple of days to get used to looking at the N.Y.C. skyline from the halls of Ferris. By the time of the attack, the towers had been like furniture in a spare room: there, but no longer part of consciousness. When I paid attention to them, they were an eyesore... out of place and out of proportion to everything around them.

I was teaching a first period class and a teacher opened the door and called me over..."A plane just crashed into the World Trade Center." -- and he simply walked away.

We have all had people use the phrase, "I can't wrap my head around it." It is a saying that had little meaning for me until then. That was my reaction to Charlie's announcement in my classroom door. What is he talking about? Is that a joke? Charlie was always joking.

The class was over at 9:20 and I walked to the corridor with the W.T.C. view and by then, both buildings had smoke coming from them.

At around 10:00, kids were dismissed. Staff was told to assemble in the auditorium. The principal told us we were to be dismissed and she didn't know when the school would re-open because it was assigned to be used as a shelter for people who would not be able to return home.

She then asked us to gather closer in the seats where we could holds hands with a neighboring teacher and say a prayer.

remembering how everyone was really nice to each other for like two weeks. I tell that to youngsters and they don't believe me.

We were hurt badly. And yet those who were paid and those who were risked their lives came forward. The firefighters

who climbed the stairs knowing they may never come down alive. There is no way to compensate them but to remember and say a silent prayer. The civilians who ran through the streets into deli's and small stores seeking shelter Those who offered rides to others back to Jersey via Connecticut

My cousin who would have been there how many stairs up? His dad passed away three days earlier and he had

one more day left in his mourning time.

It was a day when the best came out of so many.

"The strongest steel is that which is forged in the hottest fire"............and these people were the strongest steel

We were hurt badly. And yet those who were paid and those who were not risked their lives and cane forward. The firefighters

who climbed the stairs knowing they may never come down alive. There is no way to compensate them but to remember and say a silent prayer. The civilians who ran through the streets into deli's and small stores seeking shelter Those who offered rides to others back to Jersey via Connecticut

My cousin who would have been there how many stairs up? His dad passed away three days earlier and he had

one more day left in his mourning time.

It was a day when the best came out of so many.

"The strongest steel is that which is forged in the hottest fire"............and these people were the strongest steel

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.