Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Redfruit said:

the best team money could buy. 

Yeah, starting to feel a little Evil-Empiry.

Why would you pay that kind of money for a guy with zero hits and only one RBI all last year? I don't get it.

Seriously though, that's a lotta cabbage for a 37-year-old pitcher. As amazing as he is.

Worst photoshop ever. 

Pretty sure Scherzer is the Mets first heterochromian.

ml1 said:

Pretty sure he has that distinction on every team he has ever played for.

ml1 said:

This guy came close.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-10-06-sp-5907-story.html

So far this off season they have not surrendered any prospects or draft picks.  I like that, because I want long term success.  I wonder how this affects Stroman.  I still want him back.  And Baez.  

I listening to the afternoon guys on the FAN briefly. Somebody was commenting on how old Scherzer is and he might get hurt. Carton said,"Who cares? If he gets hurt you go out and get the next best pitcher available. That's what you do when you're rich!" They also said they might go for Bryant instead of Baez, because they have Baty in the minors and if he comes up this year then Bryant can move to the outfield and Escobar can play 2nd all year.

I hate that idea.  It stinks of the old Mets, moving people around as if defense doesn't matter. My favorite side effect from signing Marte is that it improves left field defense as well as center field.

Bryant is a solid outfielder and Escobar is better at 2nd than 3rd, though he's no Baez. I prefer Bryant's approach at the plate a lot more than Baez's as well. Now rumors are coming out that Stroman wasn't good in the clubhouse. I had never heard that before, but I guess if you don't want to sign a guy you have to badmouth him. 

They just signed an entire outfield of on base machines.  Baez showed great plate discipline with the Mets.  If they can't get him than I agree with you about Bryant at third, but I want Nimmo in left.

I want Nimmo in left also, but having another guy that can play the outfield isn't a bad thing, especially with Nimmo's injury history. Hopefully the days of Cameron Maybin are over.

Another ridiculous free agent contract.  I hope it works out but my guess is that the Mets way overpaid compared to other offers.

Overpaid?  You are living in the past.  Look what Bauer got last season.  Look what the 20 year old kid just got in Tampa.  Scherzer may have gotten a little more than he would have gotten elsewhere, but not much more.

Yeah, even after Cohen took him to dinner. I'm hoping they resign Villar.

jeffl said:

Baez gone?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/tigers-sign-javier-baez.html

I am 100% OK with this. You'd overpay for a guy to play him out of position (2B vs SS). 

Great player but did not love his influence in the clubhouse. 

Moving on. 

jfinnegan said:

Yeah, even after Cohen took him to dinner. I'm hoping they resign Villar.

I like Villar but I think he was not a positive influence in the clubhouse. 

I want those guys out of there. 

Baez is pretty inconsistent at the plate, with a low on base percentage because it seems he just hates to walk.  Great hustle and attitude, though.  He wanted to play shortstop, not second base, and the Pirates had the worst play at shortstop in the league last year.  

Speaking of shortstops/infielders, the Rangers deal for Seagers is Arod-ish, eh?  In three years when his bat is slowing the Rangers will offload his contract to the Yankees.

Stroman is going to wind up with the Angels or Red Sox, is my guess.  Too bad.  Having him slotted in behind Max and deGrom would be awesome.

mfpark said:

Stroman is going to wind up with the Angels or Red Sox, is my guess.  Too bad.  Having him slotted in behind Max and deGrom would be awesome.

I don't think they planned on resigning Stroman, but him liking a tweet claiming the Mets are racist as well as liking a tweet calling a reporter an ethnic slur definitely spelled the end of his time with the Mets. He could end up with the Giants as well. 

Soul_29 said:

I like Villar but I think he was not a positive influence in the clubhouse. 

I want those guys out of there. 

Agreed. I hadn't heard anything bad about him, but they complained about the clubhouse last year and he was one of the few new guys from prior years. I just hope Lindor isn't one of the clubhouse problems. 

Lindor is a force, and the long term resident now.  If there are clubhouse problems they will be others problems.  It's his team to lead.

DanDietrich said:

Lindor is a force, and the long term resident now.  If there are clubhouse problems they will be others problems.  It's his team to lead.

And not Pete's?

jfinnegan said:

I don't think they planned on resigning Stroman, but him liking a tweet claiming the Mets are racist as well as liking a tweet calling a reporter an ethnic slur definitely spelled the end of his time with the Mets. He could end up with the Giants as well. 

With Gausman gone to the Jays I can see the Giants in the hunt, but the Red Sox have a gaping hole to fill and lots of money, and Moreno seems to be limitless in his spending (not that it has helped him get into the playoffs anytime recently).

DanDietrich said:

I agree and that's why I'll be surprised if McNeil is the starting 2nd baseman on opening day. Hitting .250 and arguing with Lindor isn't a good idea if you want to be here long term. I don't think anybody takes Pete seriously. The Donnie Stevenson stuff doesn't strike me as a guy that is going to get the respect of everybody in the clubhouse.

Pete is still a relatively young player.  If he wants to step up, great, but I think the position players will look to Lindor, and hopefully soon Marte,  especially with Conforto gone.  Pitchers have two great role models now.  I think old white guys who call the FAN will assume Pete is the leader, because they want a white guy like them to replace David Wright.  

Strohman to the Cubs. The writing was on the wall.

I thought the Cubs were rebuilding. I'm guessing they're going to try to bring Hill back. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!