Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Soul_29 said:

bub said:

If we could figure out a way to get rid of Cano without bleeding too much money, I'll be happy.

It's gonna happen. 

They are off the hook for $20.25 million this season (Mariners would have paid $3.75M), then two years left on his contract. I don't see the Mets getting rid of Cano for anything less than full value of his remaining contract (2022/2023).

I think the single biggest move Cohen could make to win permanent appreciation from every Mets fan would be to dump Cano for a prospect and eat his whole salary.  That's something the Wilpons would never have contemplated.

Are they considering the DH again next year? If they are then why not see what Cano has left? The Cubs' third base coach last night must have thought they were playing the 2020 Mets. Nice to see them playing good D most nights.

Between his age and the harsh reception he knows he's going to receive for his second drug suspension, perhaps he's willing to retire for less than his remaining salary.

jfinnegan said:

Are they considering the DH again next year? If they are then why not see what Cano has left? The Cubs' third base coach last night must have thought they were playing the 2020 Mets. Nice to see them playing good D most nights.

If there is a DH we can rotate Smith and Alonso there, move Nimmo to left and get a good defensive center fielder, either from the minors or via free agency.  That would improve three positions. Forget Cano

Dear Mets,

Please sweep. 

Sincerely,

Cardinals Nation

Dear Cardinals nation,

lets try to win tonight, then we can think about tomorrow.  And can we have Arenado, please?

bub said:

Between his age and the harsh reception he knows he's going to receive for his second drug suspension, perhaps he's willing to retire for less than his remaining salary.

I could put up with 2 years of heckling for $48 million.

Yeah, he's not going to retire.  

Three innings?  How bad is this injury?  

FilmCarp said:

Dear Cardinals nation,

lets try to win tonight, then we can think about tomorrow.  And can we have Arenado, please?

Didn’t know it was a 4 game series.  Scary stuff with deGrom.  Wasn't Stroman slated for tomorrow?

8 out of 9 Ks and then pfftttttt…

Shoulder soreness? Now downplaying.

I will say that the place exploded on his RBI single. So many MVP chants.

Can’t win it if you’re not on the field.

Fingers crossed. 

I was feeling and saying before game that he should have been given a start off.  These things linger and like one of the booth guys said, a pitcher may consciously or unconsciously favor one tender spot causing a problem elsewhere.  I don't care about DG's self assessment that he feels alright.  They have to err on the side of caution and protect him.  He's 32 and regularly throwing at 100 mph.  

I was surprised he pitched the entire 3rd inning. He clearly looked like something was wrong. Sort of amazing that he's still able to strike out the side when he wasn't feeling right. 

I hope they are hunting for a pair of starters.  Double headers, injuries, and only one off day for the next month or so.  Its going to be hard, even if Peterson and Lucchesi continue to improve.

Keeping him maximally healthy must be the goal even if it involves some down time.  Getting him enough innings for Cy Young consideration is not the priority, especially since pushing that goal can lead to the opposite result - early end of his season.

Jerad Eickhoff and Nick Tropeano are at Syracuse right now, and they're probably not any better or worse than the caliber of starter that the Mets could get via trade right now.  The challenge right now is how to figure out the 40-man roster to add a starter or two.  They are apparently also considering Gsellman to pitch one of the upcoming DH games because he hasn't pitched much this week. If they put deGrom on the IL, they may just rotate a bunch of guys between NY and Syracuse as long as they have options and have them pitch 2-3 innings each in the DHs.

Good thing the team has started hitting.  They're going to need to score some runs over the next week or two.

Bummer of a loss last night.  I'm thinking of starting a new drinking game.  Every time an announcer mentions DeGrom you have to drink.  It won't matter who is pitching or hitting, or what the score is, you'll be drunk before the second inning.

also, and slightly sacrilegious here, but nice triple play by the crankies last night.

FilmCarp said:

Bummer of a loss last night.  I'm thinking of starting a new drinking game.  Every time an announcer mentions DeGrom you have to drink.  It won't matter who is pitching or hitting, or what the score is, you'll be drunk before the second inning.

also, and slightly sacrilegious here, but nice triple play by the crankies last night.

more of a "what were they thinking?" TP for the Blue Jays.

FilmCarp said:

The constant mention of deGrom has been eating at me too.

I was really down on Peterson.  I'm glad to see him prove me wrong.  So now I'm wondering if Rojas knows how to handle pitching strategically.  Pulling Peterson with two outs on the fourth.  Yes, he just lost a fight to a good hitter, but they are still up 5-0, with a double header today and two next week.  I would have let him have one or two more hitters to try to finish the inning.  Save the pen a bit.

Looks like the sleeping bear that was the Nats has been poked.

jimmurphy said:

Looks like the sleeping bear that was the Nats has been poked.

maybe. But I don't think Schwarber can hit 5 HRs every 2 days the rest of the season. 

DeGrom gets celebrated for making it 5 whole innings.  And now Lucchesi is done.  Tommy John surgery.  The Mets won't last at this rate.  They have to start hitting consistently.  And getting guys back won't help if those guys hit like they did before they were injured, which was not much.  

They're #2 in team ERA and #5 in WHIP.

Yep. It's about hitting.

That level of quality pitching is not sustainable.  

FilmCarp said:

DeGrom gets celebrated for making it 5 whole innings.  And now Lucchesi is done.  Tommy John surgery.  The Mets won't last at this rate.  They have to start hitting consistently.  And getting guys back won't help if those guys hit like they did before they were injured, which was not much.  

DeGrom lowered his ERA to 0.50.

Unbelievable stuff.

Oh boy. Lucchesi for the season, Gsellman for at least 6 weeks, *and* Familia for at least 10 days - probably longer. Had not heard about Familia. Add a compromised deGrom. End of July at best for Carrasco, Syndergaard not till September. No sign of Betances.

FilmCarp is right. We can’t expect run prevention like we’ve seen. Bats need to step it up to make up the difference and seems like they need to pull the trigger on a trade for a SP. 

Evan Roberts on Twitter: If Jake takes his next turn on Sunday, we would be lined up for Jake vs Cole next Friday at Yankee Stadium.

Train_of_Thought said:

Evan Roberts on Twitter: If Jake takes his next turn on Sunday, we would be lined up for Jake vs Cole next Friday at Yankee Stadium.

the place where Jake made his big league debut grin

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.