Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

As good a pitcher as Bauer is, you want to root for someone you want to root for. I had a hard time with Harvey, just because he was such an ****. Not to mention the various domestic violence suspects. I'd rather do so-so with a team of good guys than win with jerks. We're not the Yankees, for god's sake. 

Best, of course, will be winning with a team of good guys.

I know he hasn't lived up, but I remember being crazy impressed with Almora when he broke in. There's a nice player in there, I like the move.

Train_of_Thought said:

I know he hasn't lived up, but I remember being crazy impressed with Almora when he broke in. There's a nice player in there, I like the move.

the pitchers are going to be pretty happy when they think about the fielding upgrades at C, SS, and CF.  I have never been a fan of the DH, but if the NL has it this year, the Mets will be set in the field.  The additions to the lineup and Smith replacing Alonso at 1B will make for a much better defensive team.  How good could deGrom be if his team isn't giving away a couple of outs every game?

Moammar said:

As good a pitcher as Bauer is, you want to root for someone you want to root for. I had a hard time with Harvey, just because he was such an ****. Not to mention the various domestic violence suspects. I'd rather do so-so with a team of good guys than win with jerks. We're not the Yankees, for god's sake. 

Best, of course, will be winning with a team of good guys.

100%.  

Nine years ago, we lost "The Kid."

This remains one of my favorite memories of him: 

Train_of_Thought said:

Nine years ago, we lost "The Kid."

This remains one of my favorite memories of him: 

Wow

Hi everyone, I'm making a COVID vaccine presentation and one of the parts is on virus variants and how the vaccines might need adjustment, But maybe not.

Anyway, what teams do Mets fan dislike most? Phillies and Braves? I'm also using Yankees uniforms - because they hardly ever change - to serve as an example of a DNA virus, like chickenpox or smallpox. I have some pics of Braves' and Phillies' jerseys with all kinds of differences and was hoping they would get a good chuckle. These represent how RNA viruses change a lot more than DNA viruses but can still do the same thing, like play baseball wearing them or, in the case of COVID, look different but still cause infections.

bikefixed said:

Hi everyone, I'm making a COVID vaccine presentation and one of the parts is on virus variants and how the vaccines might need adjustment, But maybe not.

Anyway, what teams do Mets fan dislike most? Phillies and Braves? I'm also using Yankees uniforms - because they hardly ever change - to serve as an example of a DNA virus, like chickenpox or smallpox. I have some pics of Braves' and Phillies' jerseys with all kinds of differences and was hoping they would get a good chuckle. These represent how RNA viruses change a lot more than DNA viruses but can still do the same thing, like play baseball wearing them or, in the case of COVID, look different but still cause infections.

I’d say Braves are most hated for me. But I think for your purposes, the Phils would go over best. 

I can show you some of the slides. I'll post screenshots.  cheese

Here's where Atlanta and Philly come in and I compare them to COVID. Heh.

Nice! I hope they go over well.

(Although I sheepishly must admit that the Mets have made many uniform changes over the years). 

jimmurphy said:

Nice! I hope they go over well.

(Although I sheepishly must admit that the Mets have made many uniform changes over the years). 

Shhhh, they're not supposed to remember that. ;-) The original plan was to compare Yankees (DNA virus) vs Mets (RNA virus) but that would have annoyed both sets of fans. Therefore, I went with the Mets as the aggrieved protagonists in this story.

I think everybody hates the Astros now and they have gone through a lot heinous uniforms, as have the Mets. They better not bring back the black jerseys.

jfinnegan said:

I think everybody hates the Astros now and they have gone through a lot heinous uniforms, as have the Mets. They better not bring back the black jerseys.

I'll keep that in mind. Those uniforms have been entertaining. I still love the 'rainbow' stripes jerseys from my childhood.

The White Sox shorts are probably at the top of my list, but I usually like their uniforms.

Getting back to the Mets, I like the Taijuan Walker signing. I think a lot of the pitchers are going to have innings limits. 

I think it's a solid move.

Mets will wear a “41” Tom Seaver tribute patch on the right sleeve of our home and road uniforms during the 2021 season. #RIP41

How did their first game go? Or, did they have their first ST game yesterday?

Game 1 was today. Lost 2-0 to FL.

jimmurphy said:

Game 1 was today. Lost 2-0 to FL.

They are on a pace to win nothing.  Blow it up.  Fire everyone.

Mets Spring Training game on Amazon Prime today at 1 PM.

Let's Go Mets!

I have looked at the box score the last couple of days. They really cornered the market on free agents that were good in 2018. They should have a pretty solid bench. Former Phillie Eickhoff started for them today. He didn't look too hot. He was a top prospect I think only 3 or 4 years ago.

My favorite thing in baseball is a long at bat, whatever the outcome.  I love, even in spring training, a 22 pitch at bat.

Before they had pitch counts on the screen if the Mets were facing a good pitcher my friend and I would keep track of the pitch counts. I never really understood why they think the pitcher's arm is going to fall off if he goes over 100 pitches, but that seems to be the rule. 

jfinnegan said:

Before they had pitch counts on the screen if the Mets were facing a good pitcher my friend and I would keep track of the pitch counts. I never really understood why they think the pitcher's arm is going to fall off if he goes over 100 pitches, but that seems to be the rule. 

Baseball managers/execs are so obsessed with pitch count, it's baffling. Pitchers still get injured all the time, counting pitches doesn't seem to help.  

Carrasco out 2 months. Sigh...

Hopefully they would not need a fifth starter for the first month or so.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.