Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

jfinnegan said:

one of my closest friends growing up in Queens was Jim Murphy. He was the star player on our soccer and basketball teams. It helped that he was 5'10" when everybody else was 5'2". He's still 5'10" so now I'm able to compete against him.

At 5’7”, you’d have no problem with me either.

jimmurphy said:

At 5’7”, you’d have no problem with me either.

Stroman's 5'7" and he's their #2 starter. At least until they sign Bauer. The other Jim Murphy moved onto rugby in high school and I wouldn't risk my well being trying to take him down. 

jfinnegan said:

Stroman's 5'7" and he's their #2 starter. At least until they sign Bauer. The other Jim Murphy moved onto rugby in high school and I wouldn't risk my well being trying to take him down. 

Spud Webb I am not. ;-)

I have to admit that the idea of signing Bauer is bringing me down.  Dude is a MAJOR LEAGUE ****.

Well, I agree with you that he seems an ****, and a trump supporter, but many rich athletes are trump supporters.  But the article you linked to was pretty poor.  It showed all of his obnoxious tweets, but none of the other guys tweets.  My contention is always that we should not expect much in the education department from athletes, since they are mostly passed along through the system without being taught much.  So much so that the Ron Darlings of the world stand out for actually getting an education while in school.

Have any of Bauer's teammates complained about him? As FilmCarp mentions I'm not really looking for guys to be role models. If I were I wouldn't have been happy with the 1986 team. 

jfinnegan said:

Have any of Bauer's teammates complained about him? As FilmCarp mentions I'm not really looking for guys to be role models. If I were I wouldn't have been happy with the 1986 team. 

he hasn't been all that popular with teammates either.  I'll root for the guy if the Mets get him.  But honestly I'd rather not have a guy who is that big of an **** in such a public way.

This writer is a moron.  

Bauer is a pretty good pitcher, nothing more.  He has had two seasons with an ERA below 4.0 in 9 years.  He has had a winning record in 4 out of 9 years, which includes 5-4 this past season. The fact they gave out awards this season is a joke. He got hot for 60 games and now the Mets are going to overpay for a .500 pitcher.

https://risingapple.com/2020/11/05/mets-best-free-agent-starting-pitcher-signings/5/

Mets could make Trevor Bauer one of their greatest free agent signings

by Tim Boyle
If the New York Mets are able to wrangle in Trevor Bauer he may end up as one of the best free agent starting pitchers the team has ever signed.

yahooyahoo said:

This writer is a moron. 

Which writer are you referring to? 

ml1 said:

he hasn't been all that popular with teammates either.  I'll root for the guy if the Mets get him.  But honestly I'd rather not have a guy who is that big of an **** in such a public way.

I would be ok with Morton or Odorizzi. They really need to address C and CF, I'm loving Cohen's ideas with Bobby Bonilla Day. 

ml1 said:

Do we know, did his teammates come to his birthday party???

Lest my words are misunderstood, let me make clear that I don't care about his politics, but if he is a racist or clubhouse problem I don't want him.  This team has some decent chemistry.  It doesn't need to be 24+1.

DaveSchmidt said:

yahooyahoo said:

This writer is a moron. 

Which writer are you referring to? 

The writer of the article I posted. 

FilmCarp said:

Lest my words are misunderstood, let me make clear that I don't care about his politics, but if he is a racist or clubhouse problem I don't want him.  This team has some decent chemistry.  It doesn't need to be 24+1.

I don't have an issue with his politics.  I have an issue with the fact that he really is an obnoxious misogynistic ****.  But if he wasn't on Twitter I'd have nothing to object to.  He could be his objectionable self in private.

yahooyahoo said:

Ah, that one. Thanks. 

DaveSchmidt said:

yahooyahoo said:

Ah, that one. Thanks. 

ha ha.  

Just watched the Sandy presser. Ending search for President of Baseball Operations and just looking for GM. Sounds as if getting permission to interview folks for, essentially, a lateral move wasn't working. Six or so GM candidates. And Luis Rojas is the manager for 2021. 

McCann to the Mets is close.

Seems he was the target all along. I like it.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/mets-sign-james-mccann.html

Me too. I hope framing the pitches isn't a big issue or else Syndergaard will be complaining again. It was painful watching Ramos on defense the last couple of years.

jfinnegan said:

Me too. I hope framing the pitches isn't a big issue or else Syndergaard will be complaining again. It was painful watching Ramos on defense the last couple of years.

supposedly McCann worked very hard on that and was much improved in 2020

If he can hit . 250, block pitches that should be blocked and throw out 25 to 30% of runners I'll be content. I prefer that deal over what Realmuto is looking for.   

I agree.  Getting "the best" player at a position is not as important as the degree of improvement over the current player.  He's a huge upgrade over Ramos.  Springer is the other huge upgrade possibility.

Springer would be a huge upgrade, even Bradley Jr. defensively. I like Nimmo as a 4th outfielder. If Dom is going to be playing left they need an above average centerfielder to cover more ground. I wouldn't consider Nimmo an average centerfielder. 

jfinnegan said:

If he can hit . 250, block pitches that should be blocked and throw out 25 to 30% of runners I'll be content. I prefer that deal over what Realmuto is looking for.   

the only way to give Realmuto what he wants is to consider that the team will likely be eating a couple of years of the deal on the back end.  It's a rare catcher who doesn't start to decline in his early 30s.

My big issue with the new money is chemistry.  This team seems to get along well in the clubhouse.  I read that Realmuto wasn't thrilled about NY.  That's okay, it isn't for everyone, but I'd rather have players who want a chance on a NY stage.  So I'm a little worried about the idea of just buying everyone.  I also dislike the habit of shifting players around to fit them in a lineup. I keep reading suggestions about rearranging everyone to fit Lindor in, and all I see is that we could use a genuine third basemen, but nothing else in the infield.

One of the triumvirate of Davis, Alonzo, and Smith needs to go.  

Davis, obviously, would hurt the least.

The Mets desperately need the DH with all these minus defenders.

Wonder what a package of Davis and Nimmo would bring?

i think the magic of springer is not just his ability, but that Nimmo belongs in left, where he may do well.  Just leave him there, instead of trying to shoehorn a first baseman into left field.  Conforto, Springer, Nimmo, is a pretty good outfield.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.