Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

FilmCarp said:

Only the Mets can do this...

Incorrect.

Still 2 games out of the wild card. After back-to-back sweeps it seems son uh unlikely. The Dodgers will be tough but then they have nine games against weak opponents. If they can avoid a sweep to the Dodgers and then make some hay against the Rockies, Reds and Marlins that would be nice...

DaveSchmidt said:

Incorrect.

In hindsight I stand corrected.  

DaveSchmidt said:

Incorrect.

it's more like it's every team except 2 or 3.

The bullpen held it together again today.  

FilmCarp said:

The bullpen held it together again today.  

There was the one inning where they walked three batters to load the bases (I think when it was 10-1). I'd be lying if I said I wasn't having dark thoughts.

Timing is everything, and it's not possible now, but what would a certain AL pennant contender give for one of our "surplus" outfielders? 

Moammar said:

Is it over? It feels pretty over. 

OK. It wasn't over.  This team just refuses to roll over and die. 

Moammar said:

OK. It wasn't over.  This team just refuses to roll over and die. 

here's a weird stat: Mets are 14-28 vs. the Braves, Phils, and Cubs and 62-42 against the rest of MLB.  

I think this will be a hard weekend for the Mets.

I think they'll go 1-2. I'd be happy if they go 2-1. 

Kershaw is always tough. Hyun-Jin has been hittable of late but he skipped a rotation turn. No telling whether that will help.

I hate that Sunday is an ESPN night game with the Mets playing Monday in Colorado.  It's nuts that they have a game out west the day after.

They did that to them a couple of weeks ago as well, but not all the way out to Colorado. I think they won the game the next day after I complained about it. I hate it mostly because I have a hard time listening to the Sunday night ESPN announcers.

jfinnegan said:

They did that to them a couple of weeks ago as well, but not all the way out to Colorado. I think they won the game the next day after I complained about it. I hate it mostly because I have a hard time listening to the Sunday night ESPN announcers.

Sunday night was in Philly, and Monday was in DC, so not that long a trip, and in the same time zone.

ml1 said:

Sunday night was in Philly, and Monday was in DC, so not that long a trip, and in the same time zone.

Have you ever made that drive?

mrincredible said:

Have you ever made that drive?

never at midnight on a Sunday

I saw a stat yesterday that I believe is relevant going into this weekend's series, given the number of home runs the Mets have been hitting: during each of their last 4 starts, Kershaw and Ryu have given up a combined 13 home runs. If so, maybe, Alonso hits #48-50 this weekend.

Kershaw looked great last night, I hate to say. Sat right above home plate and I swear some of his breaking pitches detoured through the 7 train stop and passed around the Unisphere before crossing the strike zone.

Tonight's game will be a tough one. Let's hope Wheeler stays in his groove and the Mets batters can get to Buehler.

Three hits.  Terrible relief pitching.

Ugh.

Arg. They can't lose to crappy teams at this point. 

5 games out of the Wild Card. More unlikely things have happened but if they kick themselves in the ascot they could make it interesting the next couple of weeks at least.

Well, that overnight trip didn't help, but I think they are done.  What's the point if they can only win with two relief pitchers?

What if they win this series then sweep the next two?

(Opens up fist, finds a couple of straws)

mrincredible said:

What if they win this series then sweep the next two?

(Opens up fist, finds a couple of straws)

4 back, 11 to play.  Even if they win every game they have to hope everyone else cools a bit.

MLB.com appears to have counted the Mets out as of now.

Hard to blame them. 

Interesting that they have the Yanks as 2 seed.

Yes, and I imagine that Cleveland might have something to say about not being in the picture.

FilmCarp said:

4 back, 11 to play.  Even if they win every game they have to hope everyone else cools a bit.

3.5 back, 10 to play. 

Go Padres!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.