Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

It's an official game. Just sayin'.

Maybe a mop instead of a broom?

The -40 run differential had me convinced that the Mets were impossibly bad.  Now it is +26, and Familia has thrown several good innings.  Don't get hit by a flying pig on the way to work today .

Why is this game a pitcher's duel?

The Mets are 7 - 5 when  deGrom gives up one or no runs.  Unreal. 

Per Gary Cohen: Pete Alonso is the first player to tie his franchise's single season home run record as a rookie since Ralph Kiner, seventy-three years ago.

Is it over? It feels pretty over. 

Phillies bullpen to your rescue.

DaveSchmidt said:

Phillies bullpen to your rescue.

baseball has become bullpen roulette. 

Moammar said:

Is it over? It feels pretty over. 

it's not mathematically over, but the last few days are making it apparent how difficult the task became after not being able to win even one game against Chicago. The Mets have won 3 of the last 4 and haven't made any real progress. We're starting to get to the point in the season where playing well isn't enough. When they trail this many teams, they're going to need help from some of the bad teams. With 25 games left, it's probably going to take 18 more wins to make the postseason. 

ml1 said:

baseball has become bullpen roulette. 

From MLB.com

This is the Major League save percentage -- the third-lowest all-time, trailing only 1951 (45.1 percent) and 1974 (61.5 percent).

In a related development, the 4.50 Major League-wide relief ERA is the ninth-highest on record and the highest since 2000 (4.58).

With so many blown saves and teams increasingly rotating various guys in the closer's role, the 40-save reliever is an endangered species. The Padres’ Kirby Yates (39) and the Yankees’ Aroldis Chapman (36) entered the week on track to get there, and the Indians’ Brad Hand (33) was right on the cusp. If we only end up with two 40-save guys, that will be the fewest since 1988 (Dan Quisenberry and Bruce Sutter).

Train_of_Thought said:

Saves data from 1951?

Sure why not? It just takes someone to painstakingly review every game from before the save statistic was kept and find relief efforts that fit the criteria!

mrincredible said:

Sure why not? It just takes someone to painstakingly review every game from before the save statistic was kept and find relief efforts that fit the criteria!

MLB.com interns 

mrincredible said:

Train_of_Thought said:

Saves data from 1951?

I guess. Part of me thinks it's misleading b/c players of that time weren't playing with any thought of that stat or role. It's kinda like reviewing NBA shots in the 50s that were from 3-point distance and calling the results 3-point percentage because they WOULD HAVE BEEN 3-pointers. I don't know. Whatever.

More importantly, Matt Adams makes baserunning mistake, Mets turn inning-ending double play. Adams drops Frazier's foul pop, Frazier draws walk. Turner forgets how many outs and only gets out at first, McNeil makes them pay with 2-run 2-out single followed by Alonso 2-run 2-out HR that never should've happened. Good teams make opponents pay for mistakes...Mets playing like a good team tonight.

Train_of_Thought said:

I guess. Part of me thinks it's misleading b/c players of that time weren't playing with any thought of that stat or role. It's kinda like reviewing NBA shots in the 50s that were from 3-point distance and calling the results 3-point percentage because they WOULD HAVE BEEN 3-pointers. I don't know. Whatever.

More importantly, Matt Adams makes baserunning mistake, Mets turn inning-ending double play. Adams drops Frazier's foul pop, Frazier draws walk. Turner forgets how many outs and only gets out at first, McNeil makes them pay with 2-run 2-out single followed by Alonso 2-run 2-out HR that never should've happened. Good teams make opponents pay for mistakes...Mets playing like a good team tonight.

if the Mets had made those mistakes it would have been gut wrenching. Might be a little easier to swallow as a fan when your team is about 99% likely to make thr postseason. But it was more Patch Adams than Matt Adams out there tonight. 

The Mets pen is just so bad.

FilmCarp said:

The Mets pen is just so bad.

talk about gut wrenching. 

If I were deGrom, I would just pack up my locker and go home.

That's it for this season.  They shouldn't put Diaz on the mound again this year.

It is not just Diaz, although he is the worst.

Sewald and Avilan were equally terrible.  Between the three of them:  One out, seven hits, seven runs, all earned.

I am just surprised Familia did not get a chance to make it even worse.

That was not gut-wrenching.  It was nausea-inducing.

That was soul-crushing to watch. I can't imagine what they're feeling in the locker room after that loss.

I accept that today's game is different, that many pitchers from early in their development are groomed to be 1-inning, even 1-batter kinda pitchers. So on its face I understood Mickey pulling Lugo once the lead was extended to save him for today. What I do have trouble swallowing, however, is...Lugo was developed as a starter, pitched two years as a starter, and last year was an "innings guy" in the pen. Am I truly to believe that he, after throwing only 10 pitches in the 8th, were he to pitch the 9th, could not be available for one inning today if needed? Have his years as a starter and and innings eater been ALTOGETHER reversed, like they never happened, like he has been physically transformed into a different athlete?

August 14th.  Mats pitching well (retired 14 straight up to that point) and at 79 pitches.  Bats for himself in the top of the 7th and, shockingly, doesn’t start the bottom of the 7th.  Lead given up by the bullpen (Lugo), game over. 

Syndergaard’s early pulls, Giants game where he refused to put Diaz in for a four out save (when he was pitching well, of course) because, well, he’s a three out guy and he likes to stick to the formula, and... the list goes on and on. 

The guy is a ******* idiot.  Has been and will be.  You can’t unlearn stupid and you can’t help bad decisions.. And they’ll never win with him at the helm.  And least not because of him, though possibly down the road (if, God help us, there is one with him still at the helm) in spite of him. 

Train_of_Thought said:

I accept that today's game is different, that many pitchers from early in their development are groomed to be 1-inning, even 1-batter kinda pitchers. So on its face I understood Mickey pulling Lugo once the lead was extended to save him for today. What I do have trouble swallowing, however, is...Lugo was developed as a starter, pitched two years as a starter, and last year was an "innings guy" in the pen. Am I truly to believe that he, after throwing only 10 pitches in the 8th, were he to pitch the 9th, could not be available for one inning today if needed? Have his years as a starter and and innings eater been ALTOGETHER reversed, like they never happened, like he has been physically transformed into a different athlete?

I would reverse the argument.  They just should not have needed him in the ninth, and it let them use him for two today.  I'm not sure two innings, two days in a row plus warmups, and a day game after a night game would have been fair to him.  He doesn't need to risk his future because others can't pitch.

It does feel like the season is over. But the strange thing is that a week ago any of us would have said it would have been a successful road trip to go 4-2 at Philly and Washington. A big part of the problem for the Mets has been that the Cubs got hot. If they keep winning it's going to be almost impossible to catch them. 

FilmCarp said:

Train_of_Thought said:

I would reverse the argument.  They just should not have needed him in the ninth, and it let them use him for two today.  I'm not sure two innings, two days in a row plus warmups, and a day game after a night game would have been fair to him.  He doesn't need to risk his future because others can't pitch.

I certainly agree that the others' inability to pitch was THE story. No doubt.

I just saw on SportsCenter. Bruce Bochy has managed from 1995-2019. Going into tonight, his career record as a manager was...wait for it...1995-2019.

Only the Mets can do this... Up 8 or 9 zip after 6 and I watch each inning hoping that they can hold on to win. A nailbiter with those relievers.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.