Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Terry Collins leaves Jon Niese in to throw 118 pitches today. Doesn't trust bullpen with a 16 run lead.

More importantly, Ike Davis is now over the Mendoza line!

ml1 said:

Terry Collins leaves Jon Niese in to throw 118 pitches today. Doesn't trust bullpen with a 16 run lead.

I had the same thought when listening to the game. When it's hot at Wrigley even a 16 run lead isn't safe.

mfpark said:

More importantly, Ike Davis is now over the Mendoza line!

Slowly and steadily his average is rising. And even with the poor season he's had to date his ratio of 47 hits/41 rbis indicates that when he makes contact and gets on base and puts the ball in play he is productive.

True 'dat. I meant to also note the 41 RBIs--something he can hold onto as he looks to rebuild his confidence.

mfpark said:

True 'dat. I meant to also note the 41 RBIs--something he can hold onto as he looks to rebuild his confidence.

For a while I was concerned Davis wasn't going to make it over the Adam Dunn line!

sbenois said:

If any of my MOL Mets brethren are not watching this show about the all-time Mets team on SNY right now, you should be.

show just started. Keith Hernandez first player called.

Fox went to a super-slo-mo of Dodgers reliever Todd Coffey running in from the bullpen, so Buck and Karros could joke about his size while we watched his girth bounce up and down like it was Baywatch. I thought it was just about the most disrespectful and unprofessional thing I can remember seeing in a baseball broadcast.

(p.s. I remember noticing this last season: Coffey is the only RH pitcher I've ever seen who, from the stretch, holds on runners on first base by looking back over his RIGHT shoulder. It's really interesting.)

"I thought it was just about the most disrespectful and unprofessional thing I can remember seeing in a baseball broadcast." Totally agree and they even questioned whether his listed weight could actually be his real weight.

Who's that man playing second base for the Mets? blank stare
Goes 4/5, two doubles, a triple, drives in four runs, AND makes two stellar plays in the field.

What are the chances Cliff Lee gets his first win tomorrow night?

You mean this afternoon wharfrat. And the chances are good unfortunately just going by thelaw of averages (he's due for the W, etc.) but ya gotta believe.

The defense was amazing last night including that masked man at second. I love this team.

wendy said:

And the chances are good unfortunately just going by thelaw of averages (he's due for the W, etc.) but ya gotta believe.

From your lips to G-d's ears........

Heh. The Phillies scored almost as many runs against the Mets as the Mets did against them the day before. My money's on Dickey over Hamels tonight for the series rubber match. Ya gotta believe too.

Cliff Lee deserved at least one win this year.

What a game! I though I was going to pass out. Whooo Hooo Mets!

wdwfan said:

What a game! I though I was going to pass out. Whooo Hooo Mets!

Yep!!!

Thought the Mets were dead when Valdespin got hit by the pitch. I thought their chance to score the tying run was for Valdespin to get out of the way, a la Mookie. Glad it worked out! (p.s. Another in a long line of terrific ABs by Tejada, hometown call on ball four notwithstanding. He's proving to be a really nice player.)

Train_of_Thought said:

Thought the Mets were dead when Valdespin got hit by the pitch. I thought their chance to score the tying run was for Valdespin to get out of the way, a la Mookie. Glad it worked out! (p.s. Another in a long line of terrific ABs by Tejada, hometown call on ball four notwithstanding. He's proving to be a really nice player.)

^^^^This ^^^^

The Mets reflect the ethic/attitude of their manager.

"The Mets reflect the ethic/attitude of their manager."

^^^^^^^^ And this too ^^^^^^^^^

Great win ... Are you believing??

Hey Wendy, I even go to Citifield when the Yanks aren't playing. Cubs tonight, Go Mets! ;-)

I'll be there too Pizzaz. PM me your cell phone number so we can meet up perhaps and you can buy me a beer celebrating my miracle Mets. ;-) (seriously, send me your cell)

My sister sent me this vid, they had us tailgating on TV at the beginning of the July 4 game grin

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A loss is a loss. And this was a disappointing loss.
Yet you have to be encouraged by the team's ability to claw their way back.
In the 9th inning, after Valdespin's HR, the batters showed great plate discipline/patience.
Of course, the BIG IF is Ike Davis' base path IQ/miscue.
And Santana? He couldn't keep the ball down and it was hot out there.
Obvious recipe for disaster.
We will beat them tomorrow.

There's always tomorrow.

sbenois said:

There's always tomorrow.

True dat. It's too early to think it's too late.

Tomorrow was a good day today. I'm looking forward to another tomorrow.

wendy said:

Tomorrow was a good day today. I'm looking forward to another tomorrow.

^^^^ Makes two ^^^^

Tomorrow's starting pitcher, Jonathan Niese, has given up 4 runs in his last 3 starts, all wins.
Meanwhile Bobby Parnell looks awesome in his last 3 appearances. With Francisco due to return after the All-Star break it will be interesting to see who Collins slots in the 8th inning/set-up man role.

Today was not so good, however. At last Hairston and Murphy continued to do well. But Niese--ewwwwwww.

mfpark said:

Today was not so good, however. At last Hairston and Murphy continued to do well. But Niese--ewwwwwww.

Yes. "Someone" pitched like his 3-day All-Star break began yesterday.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.