Maplewoodstock Announces Canopy Lottery for 2021 Festival

Maplewoodstock is pleased to announce a pilot program for the 2021 festival that puts an end to the 5 AM “running of the canopies” mayhem: The Canopy Lottery.

All Maplewood and South Orange residents will be able to enter a free lottery for canopy space.

More details to come soon on Maplewoodstock.com and Maplewoodstock’s Facebook page, but start talking to your neighbors and friends about how great it will be to sleep later, calmly put up your canopy, and know that everyone from our two towns will have an equally fair shot of obtaining canopy space for this year’s festival.


On a somewhat related note, will there be a "Senior Citizens" canopy again and, if so, will it be better located than the last time?  If I recall correctly, it was way over to the side without a very good view of the stage.


We are reserving a spot for SOMA Two towns for all ages.  The folks who run that indicated their continuing interest last time we spoke. Location TBD.


While I admire the commitment to keeping Maplewoodstock "free"  - this seems like a perfect opportunity to fundraise a little and ask for a $5 donation per lottery entry.

Also, will the canopies be taken down at sunset each day?  It is always frustrating to have one's view blocked after dark by an unnecessary canopy.  


Also will there be separate lottery entries for each day to have twice as many chances for a spot?


sac said:

On a somewhat related note, will there be a "Senior Citizens" canopy again and, if so, will it be better located than the last time?  If I recall correctly, it was way over to the side without a very good view of the stage.

 Yes.  The plan is to have a senior canopy again this year.  There are several issues which influenced the placement last year.  Since some seniors who would be using the canopy have mobility issues the thought was to place the canopy close to the exit to the park so seniors would not have to deal with the hill.  Proximity to a toilet was another factor under consideration.  Finally, there was the issue of shade.  It is very difficult to meet all of these criteria and have line of sight to the stage.  I agree that it was very difficult to see the stage from the senior tent last year.  When I sat there, I was unable to see the performers on the stage.


joan_crystal said:

sac said:

On a somewhat related note, will there be a "Senior Citizens" canopy again and, if so, will it be better located than the last time?  If I recall correctly, it was way over to the side without a very good view of the stage.

 Yes.  The plan is to have a senior canopy again this year.  There are several issues which influenced the placement last year.  Since some seniors who would be using the canopy have mobility issues the thought was to place the canopy close to the exit to the park so seniors would not have to deal with the hill.  Proximity to a toilet was another factor under consideration.  Finally, there was the issue of shade.  It is very difficult to meet all of these criteria and have line of sight to the stage.  I agree that it was very difficult to see the stage from the senior tent last year.  When I sat there, I was unable to see the performers on the stage.

 I wonder if it would be possible to provide a couple of ADA toilets up at the top (across from the train station) to alleviate the toilet issue and then position the senior canopy close to the paved walk that comes from that section of the parking area and make it open to Seniors as well as vendors, etc.?  It just takes so much away from the experience if you can't see the stage.  


I would love to see the senior canopy at the top of the hill. If we could arrange for the train station bathrooms to be open during the festival that would be even better than having an ADA toilet up there.  There is a drop off point there (in front of the train station) and easy access to the food court which has been at the top of the hill in the past).  There would be the following issues: Handicapped parking could be a problem since the parking spaces up there are reserved for vendors.  The crowds are thicker at the trop of the hill creating both mobility issues and COVID transmission concerns for seniors trying to access the tent.  There is very little shade up there.  


The problem with visibility at the present location is the side panels on the stage that block the view from the sides.  These panels provide essential advertising space to sponsors who make the festival possible.  


Do you even need canopies in October?   I don't think there will be a big issue with a hot sun beating down on people's heads.  How about a lottery for just blankets.  


bub said:

Do you even need canopies in October?   I don't think there will be a big issue with a hot sun beating down on people's heads.  How about a lottery for just blankets.  

 Rain chance?


joan_crystal said:

bub said:

Do you even need canopies in October?   I don't think there will be a big issue with a hot sun beating down on people's heads.  How about a lottery for just blankets.  

 Rain chance?

 less than in July.


Thank you for the table of comparison.  Please don't get me wrong I hate the canopies and the land grab in general.  I have gotten to the amphitheater at 9 am only to find the entire hill covered with canopies and blankets that remain unoccupied until late in the afternoon.




In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.