Is the pandemic forcing you to cancel restaurant and travel reservations?

Recently we dined (on tasty Middle-Eastern food ordered-in from some place in Tenafly) at the lovely home of our Bergen County foodie pals Dr. Foodnazi and her beleaguered hubby, Dr. Whyme. Our friends Dr. Corporateshill and his wife Dr. OBwan joined us, for what may turn out to be our last get-together for The Duration. I'm the only non-MD among us, so I was happily silent during most of the evening's (very loud) discussion of the awful medical ramifications of this Trump-enabled national emergency.

These folks are all world-travelers, with plenty of disposable retirement dollars, so inevitably, when the topic turned to recent international trips (to the Far East, mostly), the diminutive Dr. F. began an impassioned diatribe about how that f*cking Covid-19 was upsetting all her & hubby's upcoming travel plans (to the Trinity Site in NM for the upcoming 50th Anniversary of the Atomic Bomb, and to Botswana, Japan, and the Bahamas later in the year), not to mention the dozens of restaurant and theater reservations she'd now have to cancel. We all sympathized, but it occurs to me that everyone we all know is now, to some degree, in the same boat. We're all hunkering down, or should be...

What cancellations of your own are really pissing YOU off?

-s.



Out here in the Midwest, weekly dancing is off till at least 4/21, and worse yet the **library is closed** after today, as are those in nearby towns.


eta:  do i need to say that these are obviously minor inconveniences and not hardships?  (plus i just got a message from next door neighbor "checking up" because we are, sigh, ancient)


With the kids off from school, my company mandating remote work and flights and hotels relatively cheap, I was actually looking to perhaps make a Hawaii trip sometime the next couple of weeks...


ate at reservoir last nite-got there around 8:15pm

they were dead.  they did say take out is very busy.  we wont stop going out at this point.  I understand some restaurants in town will be take out only now. SUPPORT Them!


got a trip to europe booked for 5/21/2020.  most likely not going to happen.  but not cancelled yet

 


Went to lunch at Ani Ramen today. Food was amazing as always, but right now they are offering 50% discount on gift cards, sp you can get a $50 gift card for $25. It's like a free meal. 

Speaking of free meals, they are also giving free ramen bowls to school kids between 3 and 6pm weekdays in the Maplewood, Summit and Jersey City locations. So super kudos to these guys for stepping up and offering free meals to kids who might otherwise not be able to have a lunch or dinner.


Most annoying for me is that the local brewery has cancelled the monthly astronomy lecture, I've been to the last two and they were fascinating. Most annoying for Mrs Jonesey is that she was about to go back to Ghana, but they're refusing all incoming passengers from affected countries, so she can't get back to various projects over there until, well, whenever.


Library is closed, at minimum till the end o the month.  All senior activities through the senior club and the recreation department are cancelled or postponed.  This includes at least one theater trip and party many were looking forward to attending.  SOPAC, Burgdorff, Woodland, and 1978 are also closed for the duration.  SOMSD will be holding all classes on-line or sending new classwork work home.  Maplewood jitney service was just cancelled.


The JCC in W Orange is closing down til March 30.


--- went to Cactus Charlie's tonight. We two were the only ones there.

I like the idea of ordering take-out from local restaurants. If we don't, they might not be there in a couple of months. I am especially concerned about the new Mex place that took over Lalabela.


ridski said:

Went to lunch at Ani Ramen today. Food was amazing as always, but right now they are offering 50% discount on gift cards, sp you can get a $50 gift card for $25. It's like a free meal. 

Speaking of free meals, they are also giving free ramen bowls to school kids between 3 and 6pm weekdays in the Maplewood, Summit and Jersey City locations. So super kudos to these guys for stepping up and offering free meals to kids who might otherwise not be able to have a lunch or dinner.

 That is a nice gesture. Maybe we can go there and donate to support their effort.


Had a planned short vacation. was able to cancel hotel, but every time I attempt to cancel airline tickets I get a message to wait until 7 days before scheduled flight


I would have scheduled at least two business trips this month to our company's national offices that would have included overnight hotel stays. I didn't cancel because I never booked them. My company put a hold on travel three weeks ago. 


Cancelled my Airbnb reservation for a West Virginia cabin at the end of the month. Happily after they revised their cancellation polity, and I got a full refund (supposedly - they have 10 days to execute the financials...)


STANV said:

Had a planned short vacation. was able to cancel hotel, but every time I attempt to cancel airline tickets I get a message to wait until 7 days before scheduled flight

 If you are flying United try sending them a message through their Facebook page -they are responsive 


Mrs. Soda & I will celebrate our 46th wedding anniversary two weeks from today. One sad upside of this pandemic is that this year now we can forego our annual fight-to-exhaustion about whether to go to Bistro d'Azur or Reservoir or Verjus or Panevino, or...

-s.


We need to take a trip to Virginia for a single overnight this week.  I'm not sure I can get out of it.  No elderly or sick folk involved.  


finnegan said:

Cancelled my Airbnb reservation for a West Virginia cabin at the end of the month. Happily after they revised their cancellation polity, and I got a full refund (supposedly - they have 10 days to execute the financials...)

 I think West Virginia is still the only state with no COVID-19 cases.


I have a business trip to Louisville Apr-6-8 to cancel. And a music festival in Denton, TX at the end of April that I hope I can still attend. (Brave Combo AND Tower of Power. Two of my very favorite live bands. Woo hoo!)   


BTW: Thanks, Dave & Jamie!

-s.


Formerlyjerseyjack said:

--- went to Cactus Charlie's tonight. We two were the only ones there.

I like the idea of ordering take-out from local restaurants. If we don't, they might not be there in a couple of months. I am especially concerned about the new Mex place that took over Lalabela.

We are regular customers of Cactus Charly, almost always for home delivery.  If you call them directly, their staff will deliver with no app needed.  And they are very quick, typically under a half hour although that may change in the current situation.

I saw a notification that Village Trattoria will soon have a delivery option, I think via one of the food delivery apps.

I haven't really used DoorDash or GrubHub or similar, but may need to get onboard with that.  What is everyone's experience with those apps?  And are there other local eateries that offer delivery directly?


oots said:

 If you are flying United try sending them a message through their Facebook page -they are responsive 

 United sent me back to Expedia. The Expedia website kept telling me to wait until closer to the Flight but finally I was able to cancel the flight through Expedia . My reservation came with free cancellation through March 16th, yesterday and yesterday the Expedia  website finally allowed me to cancel. 


sac said:

We are regular customers of Cactus Charly, almost always for home delivery.  If you call them directly, their staff will deliver with no app needed.  And they are very quick, typically under a half hour although that may change in the current situation.

I saw a notification that Village Trattoria will soon have a delivery option, I think via one of the food delivery apps.

I haven't really used DoorDash or GrubHub or similar, but may need to get onboard with that.  What is everyone's experience with those apps?  And are there other local eateries that offer delivery directly?

 


Town Hall Deli delivers also. I was just very pleasantly surprised by having a sloppy joe delivered to my door. An incredibly thoughtful neighbor wanted to let me know that she was thinking of me. What a great idea! I’m going to pass it on and send some to a couple of my friends who I know are staying in. The sandwiches are delicious and such a treat to have! Great idea!


The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I have a business trip to Louisville Apr-6-8 to cancel. And a music festival in Denton, TX at the end of April that I hope I can still attend. (Brave Combo AND Tower of Power. Two of my very favorite live bands. Woo hoo!)   

 LOVE Brave Combo! 

I have tickets for the Old Settler's music festival in central Texas, originally scheduled for mid-April. The county just shut it down a few days ago. They're going to reschedule it for this fall. Tickets are not refundable, although they can be used for the new dates. Tickets for SXSW were also not refundable. I've read that a pandemic is not one of the covered causes of event cancellation that would trigger a refund, unlike war, natural disaster, etc. I'm curious if some of that money goes to the artists. Between the general admission cost and the fee for RV rental and an RV parking place, I'm into this event for some pretty serious money. Hope I can make the new dates.


The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

finnegan said:

Cancelled my Airbnb reservation for a West Virginia cabin at the end of the month. Happily after they revised their cancellation polity, and I got a full refund (supposedly - they have 10 days to execute the financials...)

 I think West Virginia is still the only state with no CONFIRMED COVID-19 cases.

FTFY


The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

 I think West Virginia is still the only state with no COVID-19 cases.

 Not as of a few minutes ago.


The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

finnegan said:

Cancelled my Airbnb reservation for a West Virginia cabin at the end of the month. Happily after they revised their cancellation polity, and I got a full refund (supposedly - they have 10 days to execute the financials...)

 I think West Virginia is still the only state with no COVID-19 cases.

 I know! Oh the irony! But I know they are testing several people affiliated with WVU. And probably @exmaple is more up on the news. Also one of our group was planning on coming from the Bay area in northern California, and since they have been ordered to "shelter in place" she's no longer sure she can even get to the airport. :-(


Suffered cancellations of 4 orchid shows (CT, NH, PA & NY) and 2 speaking engagements (NY & NJ) so far.  That wiped out 50% of my sales for this season.


LILMissLL had a trip to Mexico planned for this week. So far she was able to gt most of her money back and United offered a credit. Disappointing but not bad considering that her Company (liveNation) is really getting hit with their main work of concerts just shutting down..The has told everyone to WFH and so far , except for feeling like she's going crazy by sheltering in place in Hoboken) she's holding up well.

MrLL is preparing to teach his courses online. nof the physics profs are older and cant grab the hang of distance learning but they are gonna get there for their students, we hope

And me, well the Library is closed till the end of the month. They have arranged a deep cleaning tho I have no idea how thats gonna help as soon as one person goes in and coughs (or breathes) that is negated.\

Thats it for now. Thanks to Jamie and Dave. Once again MOL is keeping us all together

Stay safe everyone

NCJ


librarylady said:

LILMissLL had a trip to Mexico planned for this week. So far she was able to gt most of her money back and United offered a credit.

 The business trip that I had to cancel was also on United and they wouldn't provide a refund but they waived any change or rebooking fee as long as I rebooked within a year. That's not a problem for me since my trip will definitely be rescheduled as soon as this craziness dies down.

But, it's another indication of the unmitigated craven selfishness of an airline industry that should not be bailed out to any degree at all. 

(There was a good OpEd about this the other day but I can't find it right now.)





In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Help Wanted

Advertisement