Is the Ballot Drop Box cleared daily ?

My question is as titled:

Is the Ballot Drop Box cleared daily ?

I can use any Essex County drop box right ? (i.e. Maplewood, South Orange, Millburn, etc..)

I don't want my vote to stay in the drop box until Election Day.


yes - emptied daily

yes - any Essex county box.


I’m actually thinking of taking mine into the county clerks office in Newark.


Registered NJ voters can track the status of ballots online at https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/auth/sign-in.  I dropped my ballot on Monday and it was noted as received on Wednesday.


The ballots are picked up every day by Board of Election officials typically with a Sheriff's officer.


THANK you all !

The link provided by Innocentbystander is especially useful grin


tkc said:

THANK you all !

The link provided by Innocentbystander is especially useful
grin


 I managed to navigate it just now. They have my ballot!


When looking at the status of my mail-in ballot online it says "Received." 
The status from previous elections when I used a mail-in ballot says my votes were "Accepted."

When does the status change from received to accepted?


yahooyahoo said:

When looking at the status of my mail-in ballot online it says "Received." 
The status from previous elections where I used a mail-in ballot says my votes were "Accepted."

When does the status change from received to accepted?

 starting Oct 24, 10 days before election day


I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.


What happens if a ballot is rejected? Do we just go vote in person?


STANV said:

There may be an answer here:

https://www.essexclerk.com/Services/6

 I didn't find anything there.

This article from nj.com is titled "What happens if my mail-in ballot is rejected?"

https://www.nj.com/politics/2020/10/what-happens-if-my-mail-in-ballot-is-rejected.html

Seems promising!

But it doesn't really tell me what happens if my ballot is rejected, except for this

“Currently, the only errors a voter can fix are missing signature and mismatched signatures,”

But if it's rejected for other reasons, it appears you won't be contacted to fix it, nor does it say you can just vote in person.


What other errors would cause a ballot to be rejected?


STANV said:

What other errors would cause a ballot to be rejected?

 e.g. it's possible to mark a ballot so that it's invalid.

Anyway, the nj.com link clearly implies that there are other reasons for a ballot to be rejected. It just doesn't say what they are.


anyone know if ballots are scanned, or tabulated manually?


I’ve been told one of the things that invalidates a mail-in ballot is if your signature doesn’t match what they have on file. 


If the certification flap has been detached/is missing, that would invalidate the ballot.  However, that could be interpreted as a mismatched signature.  


Very good article in opinion section of Times on just this subject - Ways ballot might be rejected. They check signature comparing it for slant, loops, space between first and last name. They check for any missing info like address. I thought this one something people might goof up on - the bubble must be filled in completely. Did not realize that oval is called a bubble. If you do not shade it completely or use an x instead of shading it,then it doesn't count.


The Essex County Clerk says that they will notify any person whose ballot is rejected. I would think such a voter could then correct the mistake or vote in person. 

There is also the website where you can check the status of your mail-in ballot. I, a tech dummy, was able to do it.


I really don’t see why if there’s a slight difference in the way you signed your name on the registration form, that it should void your vote. There’s a bar code on your ballot that has all your information. It’s a dedicated ballot. 
now, on the question of filling in the circle fully, yes I get that, because the ballots are scanned.


Jaytee said:

I really don’t see why if there’s a slight difference in the way you signed your name on the registration form, that it should void your vote. There’s a bar code on your ballot that has all your information. It’s a dedicated ballot.

My personal checks have account codes and other identifying information. I still have to sign them to protect against someone else's using them without my authorization.


DaveSchmidt said:

My personal checks have account codes and other identifying information. I still have to sign them to protect against someone else's using them without my authorization.

 This is not a monetary transaction. I don’t see where there’s any way fraud can be committed with a scanned ballot mailed to my home.


Jaytee said:

DaveSchmidt said:

My personal checks have account codes and other identifying information. I still have to sign them to protect against someone else's using them without my authorization.

 This is not a monetary transaction. I don’t see where there’s any way fraud can be committed with a scanned ballot mailed to my home.

I could have grabbed your ballot out of the mail and returned it.  That being said, it's not like they have forensic examiners reviewing the signatures for matches.


Steve said:

That being said, it's not like they have forensic examiners reviewing the signatures for matches.

Not in New Jersey, anyway. 


Jaytee said:

I really don’t see why if there’s a slight difference in the way you signed your name on the registration form, that it should void your vote. There’s a bar code on your ballot that has all your information. It’s a dedicated ballot. 
now, on the question of filling in the circle fully, yes I get that, because the ballots are scanned.

You sign your name at the polls every time you vote. This is the one means of confirmation poll workers in NJ have of establishing the identity of each voter. Recently multiple undelivered ballots were found in a dumpster in NJ. There was nothing to stop anyone from taking those ballots, voting for the candidate(s) of choice, signing each ballot and placing them in the mail for delivery to the return address. Comparing signatures is one tool the board of elections has for guarding against such an attempt at ballot stuffing. One concern friends of mine have expressed with this year's by mail emphasis is that their signature may have changed over the years. To address this issue, NJ voters were able to submit a change of signature form this year.  


joan_crystal said:

You sign your name at the polls every time you vote. This is the one means of confirmation poll workers in NJ have of establishing the identity of each voter.

There’s a difference in security, as Jaytee noted, between a ballot that is mailed directly to the home of the person who’s name is on it and a stranger who walks up to a poll worker saying, “Hi, I’m Joe Voter.”

Jaytee seems to believe that the direct-mail security is enough, without the signature. You and Steve point out the holes there that the signature is meant to help plug.


NJ seems to be doing a very good job with mail-in ballots.  The system is very orderly and allows for correcting mistakes and you can check on the computer to see if your vote is received. The voter drop boxes are in secure easily accessible locations.   Kudos to all the Election Officials.  


DaveSchmidt said:

There’s a difference in security, as Jaytee noted, between a ballot that is mailed directly to the home of the person who’s name is on it and a stranger who walks up to a poll worker saying, “Hi, I’m Joe Voter.”

Jaytee seems to believe that the direct-mail security is enough, without the signature. You and Steve point out the holes there that the signature is meant to help plug.

 I’m not saying the signature isn’t needed. My issue is why should it matter if there’s a slight difference like leaving out your middle initial? Or your t is not crossed like you crossed it on your registration??

If someone has not gotten their ballot they will call to find out why. You can request another, and the bar code should show that. And the missing one would be voided. I think you can request another ballot if you spoiled the first one. So my thinking is all your voting information is in the barcode. Including if you requested a second ballot. 




In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement