Best time of day to drive to/from Brooklyn?

I have to drive to Prospect Lefferts to pack up my kid on Monday 8-29. Time is flexible. When is it likely to be the least hideous? 

Ummm....I've never driven to Brooklyn at the perfect time. Either I sail and then hit nonsense at the Holland  (or BB Tunnel) or once in Brooklyn, hit nonsense on Atlantic or Fort Hamilton. 

Try downloading Waze onto your phone. It gives you real time traffic jams, road blocks, etc. It may help your commute. 

I would leave NJ after 10:30 a.m. and start back from B'klyn before 3 p.m. (even earlier if possible). I would probably take Flatbush Ave. and the Manhattan Bridge-Canal-Holland Tunnel route back.

That way you are likely to avoid rush "hour" issues, though accessing the neighborhood is mainly through narrow, heavily trafficked streets. 

I always check waze or google maps and most times it pulls me thru Staten Island as the fastest route.  Agreed that leaving after 10 is probably a good idea and getting back on the road by 3.  

Went to see the Cyclones yesterday. Left at 3:30 and it was about 40 minutes to Coney Island. 

Not sure if this helps ... 

Edited to add: I used Waze and it took my through Staten Island via Bayonne Bridge. 

I usually go through Staten Island and try to avoid rush hour.  The few times I've gone through the city have turned out to be a big mistake. 

mikescott said:

I always check waze or google maps and most times it pulls me thru Staten Island as the fastest route.  Agreed that leaving after 10 is probably a good idea and getting back on the road by 3.  

I use Waze, and lately it's been sending me across Staten Island on the way over, and through Manhattan to the Holland on the way back. And I fall for it every time. I have never NOT gotten into a jam driving across Manhattan.

it is what it is. On a weekday, the only good time will be late at night into early morning. Midnight to 3am-ish. Otherwise, just expect traffic and plan for it. Try to avoid returning to NJ from Brooklyn after 3pm though.

When my grandson visits us from Brooklyn, he takes the subway into Manhattan, the train to Hoboken, and then NJ transit to SO station.  He's been doing that since he was twelve.  Easy peasy.

hmmm... Not such a great idea for a person who stated she is "packing up" her kid. He can't just carry all his stuff on his back for all those train rides.

And your grandson is wasting an extra train ride. He should just do Manhattan to SO and skip the extra step getting to Hoboken.

Leave 9 a.m. By that time, the office people have arrived at their destination. I would take Staten Island over and Williamsburg or Manhattan bridge back. Take either Canal or Delancy to the Holland.

Get to the Holland by 3:00 p.m.

I make the drive once a week, usually on Tuesday or Wednesday.  I leave S.O at 9:30 - take the Holland/BK Bridge, and make it to Cobble Hill in about an Hour.  I grew up in the city, so I know to avoid Canal/Manhattan Bridge.  I take Varick/W Broadway south, past Chambers all the way to Park or Vesey, and then onto the Bk Bridge.  You'll hit bridge traffic but once onto Boerum PL it's an easy shot to Atlantic then to Flatbush.  You should be home free from there.  On the return, I leave Cobble Hill by 2pm latest, or the traffic starts to build getting to the Holland Tunnel (Hudson St route via Reade off the Bridge).  Not because of the car volume, but the traffic cops start acting a fool on Canal.  Good Luck.

that always how we go too. Never, ever, ever Staten Island unless maybe if you are going to Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge at an off hour

Could be a question of whether you prefer moving or stopping. Merge points and the current state of random construction in lower Manhattan and the terrifying Pulaski make me itchy.

nope. Rarely at a standstill and I've done that drive probably 300 times over the past 10 years. Just stay clear of canal and the Manhattan bridge.  Not sure what's so terrifying about the Pulaski.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.