Where to get Reflexology archived

I have plantar fasciitis and was told reflexology can help. Anyone know of a good place to go? Any other suggestions for working through this are welcome.

TIA

-Melissa

I think there is a place in the Livingston Mall. Asian massage type place. I see a reflexology poster in their window.

MelissaH, we offer Reflexology at Shakti Yoga located in Maplewood:

Reflexology

Based on theories of energy zones that run through the body, this work involves applying alternate thumb and finger pressure to reflexes on handsand/or feet, affecting corresponding areas in the body. This results in deep relaxation, energy release and stress reduction, helping the body return to homeostasis. Refelexology can also be applied to the face and ears. Face, ear and neck are a wonderful combination. A 90 minute combo could include feet and hands, or face, ear and hands, etc. Sessions are given fully clothed, except shoes and socks, on a massage table.

Rates: 30 minutes $45 ~ 60 minutes $80 ~ 90 minutes $120 (add 7% sales tax)
Harmony Series: 3/30 minute sessions $120 ~ 3/60 minute sessions $225 ~ 3/90 minute sessions $345
To Schedule: contact Debra Bernath

Interested in Reflexology Training? Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Classes being offered by Debra Bernath

http://www.shaktinj.com/services.htm

We hope you feel better!

Sounds crazy but fitflops (ugly as they are) TREMENDOUSLY relieved my plantar fasciitis in one summer. I haven't had an issue since.

Thanks Shakti I actually just booked a reflexology session with you after reading your other thread!

@eliz,
I have a pair of fit flops (they are getting a little better looking) that I'm wearing. I switch between them and my sneakers and while it helps I still have pain and lots of it. I started a walk to run exercise routine two weeks ago that I don't want to give up. It didn't help that I had to stand all week, as I cannot sit down while students are testing. I have to keep walking the room. I think that made it worse.

MelissaH said:

I have plantar fasciitis and was told reflexology can help. Any other suggestions for working through this are welcome.

TIA

-Melissa

One or two large marbles on a hard, flat surface. Lay off the cipro.
Time/patience.

There's a place called foot spa & tea bar in Verona.
I don't know anyone who's been there but it sounds intriguing

Near my parents on LI, a whole bunch of foot spas have been opening. I went to one a few months ago and it was great. 60 minute treatment for $22! I wonder if the one in Verona is similar? Maybe we'll see them popping up here soon.

MelissaH said:

Thanks Shakti I actually just booked a reflexology session with you after reading your other thread!

/blockquote>

Great! We look forward to seeing you!

I have plantar fasciatis and I can't wear flip flops at all -- just driving in the car home from a pedicure gives me horrible pain.

I've tried many places around here for reflexology (not Shakti Yoga -- yet, I just found out about it!) and I find they all think reflexology is a good foot massage -- at least that was what I got from them. So disappointing I wanted to ask for my money back.

mumstheword said:

I have plantar fasciatis and I can't wear flip flops at all -- just driving in the car home from a pedicure gives me horrible pain.

I've tried many places around here for reflexology (not Shakti Yoga -- yet, I just found out about it!) and I find they all think reflexology is a good foot massage -- at least that was what I got from them. So disappointing I wanted to ask for my money back.

mumstheword, Debra Bernarth is a Nationally Certified Reflexologist (ARCB). She teaches Reflexology at the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine and she also teaches local classes. She has done extensive study and training, including:

Hand, Ear, Face Reflexology Training Program
Certified 100 hours, April - July 2005
New York Open Center, Inc. / The Vital Energy Source with Wendy Coad, New York, NY

Foot Reflexology Training Program
Certified 200 hours, March - June 2005
The Vital Energy Source with Wendy Coad, New York, NY

American Reflexology Certification Board (ARCB) - Foot
Certified April 2006, (B01117)

Reflexology Teacher Training - Basic & Advanced Reflexology
Certified 200 hours, September 2006 - March 2007
The Vital Energy Source with Wendy Coad, New York, NY

Moving the Energy: The Interface of Reflexology, Massage, the 12 Meridians and 5 Elements
15 continuing education hours, October 2008
J.L.M. Educational Training with Lillian Morten, New York, NY

American Reflexology Certification Board (ARCB) - Hand
Certified August 2009, (H0062)

The Science of Reflexology Deposits
4 continuing education hours, September 2009
Linda Chollar Reflexology Training & Research Group with Jesus Manzanares, M.D., Los Angeles, CA

Exploring Infertility and Reflexology
16 continuing education hours, October 2009
The Swedish Institute with Vera Krijn, New York, NY
Pain Control & Stress Reduction with Foot Hand Ear Reflexology
3 continuing education hours, June 2013
The American Academy of Reflexology with Bill Flocco, Linthicum, MD

Integrated Foot Hand Ear Reflexology for Musculoskeletal Issues & Pain
17 continuing education hours, June 2013
The American Academy of Reflexology with Bill Flocco, Linthicum, MD

Manzanares Method of Reflexology
16 continuing education hours, October 2013
Science-based Manzanares Method of ReflexologyTM with Jesus Manzanares, M.D., New York, NY

@shaktiyoga: Yes, I found out about Debra after reading your other thread a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to her tomorrow -- caaaaaan't wait!

mumstheword said:

@shaktiyoga: Yes, I found out about Debra after reading your other thread a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to her tomorrow -- caaaaaan't wait!

Enjoy! She's incredible.

There's a big difference between a foot massage and reflexology, it's like the difference between a back rub and a deep tissue massage.

shh said:

There's a big difference between a foot massage and reflexology, it's like the difference between a back rub and a deep tissue massage.

Yes, true reflexology works like acupuncture -- the practitioner manipulates the energy meridians in the foot and ankle. It feels good, but it's also therapeutic for the total "you".

I had an argument with the manager of a place in this area that advertises that they do reflexology. I went through 4 different "practitioners" and I could tell they didn't know what they were doing. After the sessions I asked "are you a reflexologist?" and they all said no. When I confronted the manager of the place she literally said to me "most people don't know the difference!" I couldn't believe it.

Where? I love reflexology (not that I've had it often) and went with someone in fort lee, it was just like you describe. A nice foot massage but not reflexology. I'd love to hear how you like Shakti.

dickf3 said:

MelissaH said:

I have plantar fasciitis and was told reflexology can help. Any other suggestions for working through this are welcome.

TIA

-Melissa

One or two large marbles on a hard, flat surface. Lay off the cipro.
Time/patience.

Cipro causes plantar fasciitis?

@gibberellin, I just googled it and apparently Cipro can cause it although that is not my problem because I haven't taken that in about 10 years.

shh said:

Where? I love reflexology (not that I've had it often) and went with someone in fort lee, it was just like you describe. A nice foot massage but not reflexology. I'd love to hear how you like Shakti.

Oh, I used to go to Ft. Lee when I lived up there -- to one of the Japanese places (on the corner of Main Street and now I don't remember the name of the street -- one block east of Palisade Avenue). They were good! I found a place in Manhattan on East 55th Street and the woman there does it right, too (but it's too long an appointment to do at lunch time). I'll report back.

I actually meant where you got it where it wasn't really reflexology, if it was local I would want to avoid,there!

I found some good physical therapy stretching exercises for planters on YouTube that helped, along with an electric massager. In fact, whenever I have aches and pains, I can usually take care of them within a few days with that approach.

Debra at Shakti was absolutely fabulous today. My foot is already feeling better. Yesterday I could barely walk because my plantar fasciitis was affecting my achilles tendon too. After working with Debra today I feel so much better and learned a lot about myself and other ailments and how they are all about the same issue. I will see her again on Thursday and again the following week for my plantar fasciitis. She thought I would only need 1/2 hour sessions but I'm going for another full hour on Thursday as it's my birthday and we're going to focus on other parts of my body.
I highly recommend her!

@ShaktiYoga, thank you so much!

MelissaH said:

Debra at Shakti was absolutely fabulous today. My foot is already feeling better. Yesterday I could barely walk because my plantar fasciitis was affecting my achilles tendon too. After working with Debra today I feel so much better and learned a lot about myself and other ailments and how they are all about the same issue. I will see her again on Thursday and again the following week for my plantar fasciitis. She thought I would only need 1/2 hour sessions but I'm going for another full hour on Thursday as it's my birthday and we're going to focus on other parts of my body.
I highly recommend her!

We're so glad to hear that! Glad to hear you are feeling better. We knew you would love Debra. Next time, ask her about her QMT sessions. Be warned- they are addicting.

Is there a way to look up or locate certified reflexologists like Debra in other areas? My mother has been suffering from intractable plantar fasciitis for a number of years and it's really wrecked her life. She doesn't go out much anymore and is dependent on my father and brothers to drive her around when she used to walk almost everywhere. She's had multiple surgeries and procedures, none of which have helped. I really want her to try reflexology but don't want her to get duped like others have into going to someone who represents themself as a reflexologist but really just gives foot massage.

MelissaH said:

I highly recommend her!

I was there yesterday, too, with Debra (I must have just missed you!). Yes, she is the real thing and I look forward to my next appointment.

@bluepool, Debra works out of Jersey City as well. I don't know if that help you or not but I thought I'd mention it.

That is interesting, where in JC?

When we lived in the West Village we used to go to Angel Feet every so often. it's a gorgeous, calming little space (they can only take 2 clients at a time!) and exceptional reflexology. Not cheap, though. http://angelfeet.com/

You can not reply as this discussion is Closed!