H.E.R. on S.N.L.

Riveted by this last night. It was billed as the premiere of “Hold On.”


Very nice.  She has an NPR Tiny Desk concert (haven't listened yet):

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=youtube+h.e.r.+tiny+desk


Echoing what I think someone said on one of the long running music threads, the Tiny Desk concerts are an astounding source of music.  I think there are over 600 of them free on Youtube and via NPR.  The curating is so reliable and the sound quality is so surprisingly excellent, considering they stick people in that cramped NPR office space somewhere, that even the unknowns (and they are mostly unknowns artists/bands to me), has like a 90% batting average.  


bub said:

Echoing what I think someone said on one of the long running music threads, the Tiny Desk concerts are an astounding source of music.  I think there are over 600 of them free on Youtube and via NPR.  The curating is so reliable and the sound quality is so surprisingly excellent, considering they stick people in that cramped NPR office space somewhere, that even the unknowns (and they are mostly unknowns artists/bands to me), has like a 90% batting average.  

 Oh, yeah. I love love love Tiny Desk. If you like discovering new music, as opposed to listening to what you've already heard over and over, Tiny Desk is for you. Skip the big names that do Tiny Desk and seek out new, unknown stuff. It will open up your world. 

Check out these ear openers, each between 15 and 25 minutes long:

  • Gina Chavez (saw her LIVE in NYC one week after seeing her Tiny Desk)
  • Jacob Collier (amazing talent - a musical genius) 
  • Bridget Kibbey  (harpist: nothing about this isn't extraordinary) 
  • LADAMA (for you feminist Worldbeat fans, like me) 
  • Mariachi Flor de Toloache (They were at SOPAC last year - fantastic) 
  • Mac Miller (very cool hip hop? is it hip hop?) 
  • Khruangbin (strange but gorgeous guitar rock) 
  • Taimane: (Hawaiian ukulele prodigy) 
  • Jenny and the Mexicats: (also saw them live soon after seeing Tiny Desk; Worldbeat, Mexican-flavoured; indescribable) 

There's a lot of interesting stuff including high quality neo-soul, like H.E.R., and/or melodic hip hop leaning stuff.  It's so good that it makes it easy to go outside your comfort zone and listen to new things.


bub said:

There's a lot of interesting stuff including high quality neo-soul, like H.E.R., and/or melodic hip hop leaning stuff.  It's so good that it makes it easy to go outside your comfort zone and listen to new things.

 Yes, true. My tastes lean towards Latin music, hence some of my choices. 


Here's the video from SNL:



I watched the first one and was pretty meh about it so I skipped the second one. That's a shame, because that second one is a glorious song. Thanks for posting, Jamie.


Yes, thanks, Jamie. I couldn’t get NBC video’s code to work here.

ETA: Ah, I see the one you posted also includes her first song of the night, which I missed because World Series. Double thanks.


ridski said:

I watched the first one and was pretty meh about it so I skipped the second one. That's a shame, because that second one is a glorious song. Thanks for posting, Jamie.

 same here




In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.