GOP2020: What Becomes Of The Collaborators Post-Trump?

Yup, the US of A - right on top of current trends in coal and oil. 

ml1 said:

tjohn said:
Maybe when more people wake up and realize that so many countries (e.g. China) are taking pollution and global warming seriously and are pushing solar power and electric vehicles and will end up stealing a march on the United States.  I can foresee a shock such as occurred in the 1970's when Japanese carmakers made huge inroads into the U.S. market because they had good quality economy cars which were much in demand when fuel prices skyrocketed.
The problem we have now is that about 40% of the population is motivated more by owning the libs than by doing the smart thing for themselves.  It doesn't matter if energy efficiency is smarter, better for the planet, or saves them money -- if they think that driving a big *** truck will induce liberal tears, it's a no-brainer for them.

That is exactly right. Two great examples:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/19/us/hurricane-michael-cotton-agriculture-climate-change.html

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/tangier-the-sinking-island-in-the-chesapeake

ml1 said:

The problem we have now is that about 40% of the population is motivated more by owning the libs than by doing the smart thing for themselves.  It doesn't matter if energy efficiency is smarter, better for the planet, or saves them money -- if they think that driving a big *** truck will induce liberal tears, it's a no-brainer for them.

This is power-maintenance strategy 101: Have the people blame/battle each other, to prevent them from blaming/overthrowing those in power.

drummerboy said:

Tom_Reingold said:
It's just as well that Trump doesn't visit the troops overseas. They wouldn't enjoy a visit from him.
Why do you think that? I wish that it were true - but I also think that among the military grunts he'd be quite popular. As he is with our police force.
Which is, of course, effing frightening.

I think you don't give military people enough credit. There is a lot of diversity.

Well, this was probably inevitable...wonder if it was a "nationalist."

Two explosive devices were found in mail sent to former President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the Secret Service said Wednesday.

The devices were similar to one found on Monday at the home of the billionaire philanthropist George Soros, and federal authorities were investigating whether they were linked, two law enforcement officials said.

In a statement, the Secret Service said it “has intercepted two suspicious packages addressed to Secret Service protectees,” who were identified as Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama.

The device addressed to Mrs. Clinton in Westchester County was found late on Tuesday by a Secret Service employee who screens mail for her, the statement said. The package addressed to Mr. Obama was intercepted by Secret Service personnel in Washington, D.C. early on Wednesday.

nyt

Possible DJT response: "They did a very poor job of assassination attempts."

GL2 said:

Two explosive devices were found in mail sent to former President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the Secret Service said Wednesday.
The devices were similar to one found on Monday at the home of the billionaire philanthropist George Soros, and federal authorities were investigating whether they were linked, two law enforcement officials said.
In a statement, the Secret Service said it “has intercepted two suspicious packages addressed to Secret Service protectees,” who were identified as Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama.
The device addressed to Mrs. Clinton in Westchester County was found late on Tuesday by a Secret Service employee who screens mail for her, the statement said. The package addressed to Mr. Obama was intercepted by Secret Service personnel in Washington, D.C. early on Wednesday.
nyt

Some Democratic supporters shout at Republicans in restaurants.  Some GOP supporters know how to build and mail pipe bombs.

We can expect more choruses of "Both sides do it."

Probably a "nationalist."

There are many good people on both sides of the pipe-bombing.

Time Warner Center, CNN New York was just evacuated due to suspicious device. 

On Monday, it was Soros.

Have they evacuated Fox headquarters yet...oh, wait. Never mind.

cramer said:
Time Warner Center, CNN New York was just evacuated due to suspicious device. 

we're not easily scared however. We decided the best response is this/

And speaking of the inevitable...

With news that bombs have been sent over the past two days have been sent to the Clintons, the Obamas, CNN and George Soros, some Trump supporters are claiming the entire story is a conspiracy set up by Soros himself.

Over at /R/The_Donald, the top pro-Trump forum on Reddit, many Trump supporters are claiming that the bombs sent to prominent enemies of President Donald Trump are part of an elaborate plot to shift the 2018 midterm elections.

rawstory.com

This is a NYT reader's comment posted this morning in response to an article about the explosive devices-

"The unhinged discourse coming from both sides of the political aisle is out of control. If it doesn't stop soon, someone will end up getting hurt."

nohero said:

GL2 said:

nyt
 Some Democratic supporters shout at Republicans in restaurants.  Some GOP supporters know how to build and mail pipe bombs.
We can expect more choruses of "Both sides do it."

wharfrat said:
This is a NYT reader's comment posted this morning in response to an article about the explosive devices-
"The unhinged discourse coming from both sides of the political aisle is out of control. If it doesn't stop soon, someone will end up getting hurt."

IT IS NOT BOTH SIDES!!!

Going back a day or two... re: ml1's post about "rolling coal" - In addition to being illegal modification of emissions controls, how is this not assault??  If this happened to my husband, he would be sick for days if not weeks, and not unlikely hospitalized....

GL2 said:

You still don't get Trump. He is far more likely to say the Dems did it to stir up their base.

He thinks that way. Which is why he instigated the Caravan.

Blame it on the Fed. 

The perp -- likely a Home Depot bomb maker -- will be apprehended.  He/she is no Unabomber. 

FWIW, coming so soon before the mid-term election, and at  so many different locations, I wonder if the Russians are meddling in our elections again?

Forgive me for being cynical, but this is probably good news for the mid terms. At least it's not bad news.

But of course the FBI being what they are, and Mueller being  good old conservative, he is probably coming out on Nov 1 with a statement that totally exhonorates Trump (and then on Nov 7 he will correct that and say, Oops, I meant he is guilty on all counts but he can't be indicted because he is a sitting president, I just checked with Kavanaugh). 

Can you imagine if you are Cory Booker or Elizabeth Warren and you didn't get a pipe bomb (yet)? It means their candidacy for prez is not even taken seriously by trump and fox news! What a bummer.

LOST said:

GL2 said:
 You still don't get Trump. He is far more likely to say the Dems did it to stir up their base.

Right wingers are already proposing this scenario.

ml1 said:

wharfrat said:

IT IS NOT BOTH SIDES!!!

Agreed. Now, someone has to talk common sense to the staff and editors at the NYT.

mtierney said:
FWIW, coming so soon before the mid-term election, and at  so many different locations, I wonder if the Russians are meddling in our elections again?

very funny. 

While people like you are terrifed of ISIS, people like me are evacuating our offices because domestic terrorists are sending us bombs. 

Let's thank your blunt speaking president for putting targets on the backs of fellow Americans. 

GL2 said:

LOST said:

GL2 said:
 Right wingers are already proposing this scenario.

yup. If I could punch them in the face through the internet, I would. 

A right winger facebook "friend" of mine thinks it was done by the "blue team," though the rationale made no sense to me, so I can't even recall it.

@mtierney, you don't often piss me off as much as you did with that comment. Put yourself in @ml1's shoes, will ya? A friend of mine says the CNN headquarters in Atlanta goes under lockdown frequently, all because Trump has it in for CNN. Is this something anyone should be joyous about? Don't bother answering, because I will. No, it is not something anyone should be happy about, so please don't be happy about it.

our building gets threats all the time. Every few weeks you can see the extra security people in the lobby. But unlike the conservatives wetting themselves because someone talked mean to Mitch McConnell at dinner, we just ignore it and go about our business. 

Tom_Reingold said:
A right winger facebook "friend" of mine thinks it was done by the "blue team," though the rationale made no sense to me, so I can't even recall it.

I am not agreeing with your friend, but the rationale would be clear, because this shows trump and his supporters for what they are: domestic terrorists 

ml1 said:

mtierney said:
 very funny. 
While people like you are terrifed of ISIS, people like me are evacuating our offices because domestic terrorists are sending us bombs. 
Let's thank your blunt speaking president for putting targets on the backs of fellow Americans. 

That last sentence could be reworked and a different scenario presented. Would that satisfy the hatred? How would the conversattion here have gone? But, then, that conversation has been ongoing here since 2016.

“Blunt” is not a word I would have chosen to describe the vitriol used against DJT by the left. There will be blood — that seems certain.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.