Getting My Rona Vaccine. Essex County

"Heard something this morning about teachers being asked to go back to work without the vaccine requirement."

Keep in mind that teachers in NJ can get the vaccine if they have a medical risk factor, including age, weight (BMI), smoking etc. 

berkeley said:

HatsOff-

I have been helping people getting appts including high risk family members.

1) When I spoke with the call center, they were super helpful. Worth a try. I was able to get right through when I called one afternoon (maybe a short wait) a couple of weeks ago.

2) Don't bother with the Availability Calendar. Go straight to your site (Sears, Kmart, etc) and fill in info. Somewhat of a pain if you don't get a spot, but the availability calendar does NOT always reflect what the sites actually have. There is somewhat of a disconnect that I cannot explain but have seen.

3) Try AM but also at other random times. Sbenois & Michael Goldberg sometimes post new openings here.

Good luck!

Thank you, and thanks to Joan for posting the links (haven't looked at them yet but will). Your #2 is the best advice for me I think, though I'll give 1 a try as well. I work, and work is very busy, so continuously re-loading this page for new info isn't an option- it would be blind luck if I landed here right after a new opening is posted. I check into MOL maybe a couple times a week, more if I want a weather update but not a regular visitor here. 

For the same reason spending too much time on hold isn't an option. I haven't actually tried the phone line as I assumed the wait would be ridiculous.

I have been relying on the "available slots open" thing though and it's usually zero. But there are only a certain numbers of times a day I can keep randomly trying. But I will do as you say and not trust that number. 

This is a useful resource for finding available vaccines in NJ https://linktr.ee/C19VaxxUpdates

I follow on Twitter (@c19VaxxUpdates) and receive alerts when things open up. Probably Facebook too, but I'm not it. Lots of followers, so things get snapped up quickly. 

Vaccines are starting to arrive at pharmacies--but appts are snapped up quickly. Rite aid went live this morning (everything went quickly), but the site is easy to navigate https://www.riteaid.com/pharmacy/covid-qualifier

Good luck all. 

One other somewhat positive note: the Johnson & Johnson "one shot" vaccine should be available sometime in March, fingers crossed that opens up lots more slots 

berkeley said:

One other somewhat positive note: the Johnson & Johnson "one shot" vaccine should be available sometime in March, fingers crossed that opens up lots more slots 

One shot.  Normal refrigerator. 

65% effective overall but I think it was 100% effective preventing mortality, and helped prevent spreading the infection. 

HatsOff said:

Thank you, and thanks to Joan for posting the links (haven't looked at them yet but will). Your #2 is the best advice for me I think, though I'll give 1 a try as well. I work, and work is very busy, so continuously re-loading this page for new info isn't an option- it would be blind luck if I landed here right after a new opening is posted. I check into MOL maybe a couple times a week, more if I want a weather update but not a regular visitor here. 

For the same reason spending too much time on hold isn't an option. I haven't actually tried the phone line as I assumed the wait would be ridiculous.

I have been relying on the "available slots open" thing though and it's usually zero. But there are only a certain numbers of times a day I can keep randomly trying. But I will do as you say and not trust that number. 

Check your pm

Very intense day.   1200 people were scheduled today.   Even more tomorrow.

I am one of those scheduled for February 13th for my first shot.  I received an email last night telling me that I need to bring proof of residence with me.  What documentation constitutes proof?

There are a bunch of open appointments right now!!

For those of you on this board that have received your second shot, what has been your reaction?  Dr. Fauci said it "knocked him out" for 24 hours - no pain, just fatigued. I have heard someone else say he was fatigued for about an hour the next day. Others have reported flu-like symptoms for 24 hours. These are all just indications of the immune system working in reaction to the vaccine, and ceratinly worth it. 

I'm confused. I have an appt for 2/24, but I could have gotten one for 2/15 or 2/16 if I wasn't asleep?

sbenois said:

2/15 and 2/16 up now

cramer said:

For those of you on this board that have received your second shot, what has been your reaction?  Dr. Fauci said it "knocked him out" for 24 hours - no pain, just fatigued. I have heard someone else say he was fatigued for about an hour the next day. Others have reported flu-like symptoms for 24 hours. These are all just indications of the immune system working in reaction to the vaccine, and ceratinly worth it. 

24 hours after the second shot, I started to feel achy and fevery like the flu was coming.  I went to bed early and woke up in the Am feeling fine (the soreness in the arm lasted a few days)

I just got back from receiving my first dose.  Could not have been simpler.  No symptoms thus far.

sbenois said:

Very intense day.   1200 people were scheduled today.   Even more tomorrow.

Even so, it was the most efficient medical process I have ever gone through. After walking in I did not have a minute to call home until it was time to leave. I almost forgot to bring my cell phone with me. Be sure to bring it because they want you to take a picture of your vaccine card and connect to a website to get your "v-safe registration code." 

I had body aches on the evening of my first shot and they were totally gone by the next morning.   No reaction at all to the second shot except for some pain at the injection site.   

Is there any truth or is it a myth about not taking Ibuprophen or Tylenol after getting a vaccine?  I have never heard this advice with any vaccine I have given before or was involved with in giving.  In fact, the opposite advice was given to take one of these meds if you had body aches.  I do not recall Fauci saying anything like this.  Perhaps we just do not know for sure yet.  

RobertRoe said:

I had body aches on the evening of my first shot and they were totally gone by the next morning.   No reaction at all to the second shot except for some pain at the injection site.   

Is there any truth or is it a myth about not taking Ibuprophen or Tylenol after getting a vaccine?  I have never heard this advice with any vaccine I have given before or was involved with in giving.  In fact, the opposite advice was given to take one of these meds if you had body aches.  I do not recall Fauci saying anything like this.  Perhaps we just do not know for sure yet.  

My wife's physician gave her this advice last week. I looked it up and although the evidence is scant, it seems that you're better off not taking even Tylenol before the vaccination, because it cuts down the effectiveness of the response. And you're better of not taking anything after the vaccination, but take it if needed.  

joan_crystal said:

I am one of those scheduled for February 13th for my first shot.  I received an email last night telling me that I need to bring proof of residence with me.  What documentation constitutes proof?

Update:  Nobody asked me for proof of residence. I  had a driver license and a recent utility bill with name and address just in case.

drummerboy said:

As more shots become available they are opening slots 1-2 days out.

Update, it was a simple call quickly answered and scheduled. Also got an email earlier so I'm set for the next dose next month.

Yikes, just realized that my original vaccine date had secured the second one, but as it was postponed several days, I don't see a new date on the card they gave me. Guess I need to call tomorrow.

Union County... my antediluvian cousin does not have a cell phone or computer. "I heard about email but I have never seen one."

I tried registering him in Union County but no openings. 

Thoughts?

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Union County... my antediluvian cousin does not have a cell phone or computer. "I heard about email but I have never seen one."

Thoughts?

Go to the State of NJ COVID website.  Click on the link for the listing of locations where one can get the vaccination.  Search the listing for places your cousin can get to easily (one friend in Northern NJ finally got an appointment in Cape May!)  Some of these sites have phone numbers your cousin, or you on your cousin's behalf) can call to schedule an appointment.  Others have internet sites where you can try to schedule an appointment online on your cousin's behalf. Make sure you have your cousin's information in front of you to save time and get an appointment before they vanish . 

I have heard that we are spoiled here in Essex County and even here, a lot of eligible people looking to get an appointment for the vaccine are unable to do so.  We need a one stop website with an attached call center for those who do not have Internet access.  Unfortunately, no such centralized booking site exists at this time.  I previously posted a phone number those without internet access could call (it should still be on the SOMA Two Towns For All Ages or PM me if you cannot find it).  Unfortunately, I read in a recent email from the State that the phone-for-appointment service was temporarily discontinued because it had been abused by callers booking multiple appointments for themselves.

I received my 1st shot on Friday @ K-Mart. The space is huge, well layed-out, and staffed with plenty of volunteers and nurses. As I was informed by Mike Goldberg, time of arrival matters less than getting there on the right date. I was in&out quickly, and my only side- effect was a sore injection spot over the weekend, now totally fine...

-s.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Thoughts?

So here are my thoughts on this:

1) The Union County site looks an awful lot like the Essex Site so I would guess  that they are trying to model it after our program.  If that is the case, I would look at their site beginning at 7:45 am and try the refresh every 30 seconds method to see if something pops up.   Totally a guess though.   

2) Today we did just over 900 shots.  By the time the other sites in Essex check in today, roughly 74,000 shots will have been given out by Joe D's vaccine factories.   The reason I point this out is because we were open today.   Union County's site was closed for the holiday.  MLK day?  Essex was open.   2 snow days...Essex opened the Sunday following each one to ensure that people got shots.   You really have to wonder where the priorities are in Union and other places when they take the day off for a holiday.   The vaccine is not taking a holiday.   

And BTW, Joe D was at the Sears site (and I am sure others) again today.  On a holiday.  He is there every day for quite a while to ensure that everything keeps going.    So is Maya Lordo the county health officer.

Sure glad I live in Essex County.

Essex County opened the Sunday before the first snow day. Which was a snow Monday.

Ah yes you are right.  Even better.

Spots just opened up now for 3/15. https://www.essexcovid.org/vaccine/vaccine_availability

If you don't qualify for an appointment, do they email you to let you know? I signed up for two people and one of us has an appointment and one doesn't yet, and they were the one who was signed up first.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.