Getting My Rona Vaccine. Essex County

Folks there are a few hundred appointments for 2/24 that just came onto the Essexcovid site.   Go out there NOW...they are going fast

Thanks! I finally got through.

Did u get one?   The Kmart ones went so quickly!  I was in the process of signing up two people there and one got through but the other didn't because they ran out of appointments in just a few minutes.

I am not sure what is going on with appointments.  I just called the call center to find out when I could expect to get a follow-up email with confirmation of the day I had signed up for and a time.  The person on the phone told me I did not have an appointment.  Do I have to start the process again?  Is there a point at which I need to call again?

Are you in their system at all?   

My wife signed-up for Feb. 8 but hasn't received an email confirmation yet (it is two weeks off.)  When I was at Livingston for my shot this week I asked someone to check to see if my wife was registered. The person who was helping me looked it up and said my wife was registered for that date but hadn't received a confirmation yet because they were still trying to schedule the time. She gave me my wife's confirmation number and said that if she didn't receive a confirmation (which I'm pretty sure he will) to come in on that date and show them her confirmation number. The person helping me could not have been more helpful. 

Right that is what I am wondering.  Joan I believe your appointment is mid-Feb.   If so, it is way too early to get your apointment confirmed.  You are probably 10-14 days away from a confirmation because they need to ensure availability, etc.

If, however, you are not in their system at all, then that is an issue to be addressed now.

So, which one?  From our discussions, I think you are in the system.

Joan - Try to register again. If you're already registered you'll get a message that says you're already registered (or something like that.) That's what I did when I hadn't received my confirmation. 

In the confirmation email I got after making the appointment, it said you will get your email confirmation of date and time 5 days before said date.

Joan - My wife is registered for Feb. 8 but hasn't received an email confirmation yet. When I tried to register her again,  just to check, this is the message I got: 

"Based on our records, [email address].has already submitted a survey. Vaccination eligibility is based on the guidelines set forth by the NJ Department of Health. We will contact you via email when your appointment is scheduled. Please be advised that the appointment you receive may not be on the date you requested due to availability. Thank you in advance for your patience.

If you are registering on behalf of another individual, please try again using a different email address."

As I suggested above, try to register again to see if you're in the system. 

Just came back from getting our 1st vaccine at the Livingston Sears. It took less than 25 minutes for 2 of us. Very efficient and well run.

CBS had a segment about the Sears site ( I found it by searching for CBS COVID vaccine Essex County). It was built out to handle 2500 a day; today they were doing 600. Supply of vaccine is limiting them for now.

sbenois said:

Are you in their system at all?   

Yes.  A friend who volunteers there found me listed at 2/13/2021 with a 12 am time, meaning I had not yet been assigned an appointment.  

cramer said:

Joan - Try to register again. If you're already registered you'll get a message that says you're already registered (or something like that.) That's what I did when I hadn't received my confirmation. 

I received the initial email which said that I had registered successfully and might not get the date I asked for.  I assume I am in the system.

lynnl199 said:

CBS had a segment about the Sears site ( I found it by searching for CBS COVID vaccine Essex County). It was built out to handle 2500 a day; today they were doing 600. Supply of vaccine is limiting them for now.

Here it is:  https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/01/22/coronavirus-covid19-vaccine-livingston-new-jersey-sears/

bak said:

lynnl199 said:

Here it is:  https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/01/22/coronavirus-covid19-vaccine-livingston-new-jersey-sears/

For all the b****ing about the problems with getting appointments, that's the second news story that says Essex County is doing an exemplary job. The WSJ (I think. Maybe Bloomberg) had a similar story a few days back.

Seems as though the siht show was the impatience some of you have. It’s like the toilet paper shortage we had last year. All of a sudden everyone wants tickets to the show. Chill, relax, people are working their tails off and it shows. You will all be vaccinated. Sbenois has been very helpful. Be thankful you have someone in your community who is right there and is sharing the information. 

On his NPR show yesterday, Brian Lehrer compared it to getting a grocery delivery slot. When you tried in April it was nearly impossible, but as the weeks rolled along, systems were in place and it was again possible. 

One more time.  The toilet paper analogy starts off fine. Everybody wanted toilet paper. There was little to be had because not enough was being made. But once the product got into the Costco, ya went there, picked up a roll or two, went in the first, long queue line. The queue master told you when and what line to enter to check out. So you paid and walked out. You knew what the process was and the process was followed.

Everybody wants Rona shots but not enough is being produced. Same thing. Then, the analogy falls apart. We all tried to get into the store (Sears). Some of us were told that we got the ticket. So, go to the long queue line and we'll call you when the register is open so's you can check out. 

But the problem is, no one from the check out register calls (email or text) to tell you what line to go to or when to get in the line. 

Call 'em? the phone rings 9 times and then disconnects.

It ain't just me. Read the f...ing texts for the past few days and weeks. We are told we have a date. Then we get a text that says, "Our team will review your submission." That sounds to people like, maybe we ain't got the ticket for sure. So we wait and wait for the queue master to reassure us that we are good to go. As the date gets closer, we get more and more anxious.

Remember, this is about our very lives. Of course, we're scared and anxious. It ain't just about leaving the toilet with $hit on our a$$.

Carry on.

I’m still confused about scheduling my first shot. I am now eligible. I think I received something saying I would be contacted when appointments became available, but I hate just sitting around waiting. I checked a few locations, and everything was full. Any tips on getting a first appointment? Thank you!!!

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

One more time.  The toilet paper analogy starts off fine. Everybody wanted toilet paper. There was little to be had because not enough was being made. But once the product got into the Costco, ya went there, picked up a roll or two, went in the first, long queue line. The queue master told you when and what line to enter to check out. So you paid and walked out. You knew what the process was and the process was followed.

Everybody wants Rona shots but not enough is being produced. Same thing. Then, the analogy falls apart. We all tried to get into the store (Sears). Some of us were told that we got the ticket. So, go to the long queue line and we'll call you when the register is open so's you can check out. 

But the problem is, no one from the check out register calls (email or text) to tell you what line to go to or when to get in the line. 

Call 'em? the phone rings 9 times and then disconnects.

It ain't just me. Read the f...ing texts for the past few days and weeks. We are told we have a date. Then we get a text that says, "Our team will review your submission." That sounds to people like, maybe we ain't got the ticket for sure. So we wait and wait for the queue master to reassure us that we are good to go. As the date gets closer, we get more and more anxious.

Remember, this is about our very lives. Of course, we're scared and anxious. It ain't just about leaving the toilet with $hit on our a$$.

Carry on.

I’m with you I this one FJJ. I am commuting in to the city on NJT trains, and I am saddened by the number of riders that don’t wear masks. We are not impatient; the risk is real. 

birdwatcher said:

I’m still confused about scheduling my first shot. I am now eligible. I think I received something saying I would be contacted when appointments became available, but I hate just sitting around waiting. I checked a few locations, and everything was full. Any tips on getting a first appointment? Thank you!!!

There are two sites to check regularly once you are eligible:  State of NJ for State run sites - you need to pre register when you are eligible and they will send you an email when they reach you with a link to the site where you can register for the vaccine and the Essex County site (assuming you live or work in Essex County).  The County site has a survey you need to complete including a requested date for the vaccine.  You will need to find and select an available date to be able to submit the survey.  Both are highly competitive and all available appointments can be taken while you are still filling out the form. A third possibility is to check the list of private provides on the State site.  These are large medical providers and some pharmacies.  You will need to phone each individually to see if they have appointments available.  Medical providers are mostly scheduling their own patients.

joan_crystal said:

There are two sites to check regularly once you are eligible:  State of NJ for State run sites - you need to pre register when you are eligible and they will send you an email when they reach you with a link to the site where you can register for the vaccine and the Essex County site (assuming you live or work in Essex County).  The County site has a survey you need to complete including a requested date for the vaccine.  You will need to find and select an available date to be able to submit the survey.  Both are highly competitive and all available appointments can be taken while you are still filling out the form. A third possibility is to check the list of private provides on the State site.  These are large medical providers and some pharmacies.  You will need to phone each individually to see if they have appointments available.  Medical providers are mostly scheduling their own patients.

I received an email from the NJ Dept of Health as I had registered for their scheduling system (NJVSS). It said that I am now eligible, but there is no availability and that would contact me via email with an invitation when something opens. They also included a number of sites I could contact directly. I checked the websites for a number of sites, and there is nothing available. 

Are these the methods you are referring to? I am an Essex County resident. Much thanks for your help!!

birdwatcher said:

I received an email from the NJ Dept of Health as I had registered for their scheduling system (NJVSS). It said that I am now eligible, but there is no availability and that would contact me via email with an invitation when something opens. They also included a number of sites I could contact directly. I checked the websites for a number of sites, and there is nothing available. 

Are these the methods you are referring to? I am an Essex County resident. Much thanks for your help!!

There is also the Essex County site for those who live or work in Essex County, essexcovid.org.  This is where you would go to get an appointment at one of the Essex County run sites.  Appointments here seem to go the moment they become available so you need to keep trying.  Good luck.

sbenois 

Thank you for volunteering at the vaccine center. 

I plan to join you after my 2nd shot becomes effective. That should be Fewb. 11th.

I am really pleased that formerlyjersey jack has gone from critic to now wanting to be part of the volunteer crew.  Your first post was about a month ago in December.  And yes, the email sign up system is still difficult and somewhat of a mystery.  

I have been doing some volunteering and can add that the clinic site at the  K-Mart is really well organized.  One thing to remember is that this covid vaccine effort is probably the largest most complicated vaccine effort in our history.   And we need to be involved for the long haul which may last most of this year.  So, do not get burned out.  We will need lots of volunteers over many many months.   I heard Joe D. say on television that Essex could run the clinics 24/7 if we get the vaccine.   I think I heard that the sites may be able to do 2,000 vaccinations a day if fully supplied and staffed.

Once we are finally able to get a large supply of vaccines, I think the next potential bottleneck will be getting enough doctors, nurses, and others who are licensed to give the vaccinations and oversee the waiting area to watch for allergic reactions.  This will need a really good organizational effort.  

RobertRoe said:

I am really pleased that formerlyjersey jack has gone from critic to now wanting to be part of the volunteer crew.  

He is still a critic of the system.  Also, the wording of your post makes it seem like his intention to volunteer is a recent development.  It isn’t.  In his fourth post on the subject posted back in December he clearly stated his intentions of volunteering.  Someone posted right after accusing him of trying to game the system.

People are STILL reporting that emails cannot be reused. People are STILL reporting that they are not receiving confirmations.  But apparently pointing out issues isn’t allowed, and the same poster  keeps posting that these issues aren’t real despite multiple posters reporting the same problems over and over

In regards to Joe D’s PR spins, I’m disgusted that journalists just take his press releases at face value and didn’t do any fact checking.  Joe D claims that Essex Co has been more efficient at getting their vaccines out.  How come they’re able to make more appointments?  Hunterdon ran out of their supply awhile back and has zero appointments after 1/28.  If Essex county was more efficient than any other county then they should have run out of vaccines first, yet they’re still able to put out available dates?   How does that make sense.  As far as a percentage of residents who have been vaccinated, many counties are ahead.  Personally I don’t think it’s a competition, there are too many factors that go into it, like population, the willingness of residents to sign up, etc.  But when he spouts this **** and people believe it and he’s telling journalists that Essex county deserves more vaccines than other counties because they’re more efficient, I can’t hold my tongue.  Essex county should get more supplies, but because they’re hard hit and have a larger at-risk population, not because of the extremely questionable claim of being “more efficient.”  

Just because Trump is out of office doesn’t mean that fact checking is no longer needed.

spontaneous said:

People are STILL reporting that emails cannot be reused. People are STILL reporting that they are not receiving confirmations.  But apparently pointing out issues isn’t allowed, and the same poster  keeps posting that these issues aren’t real despite multiple posters reporting the same problems over and over

Where has he reported that people not getting confirmations weren't real?  He has been incredibly helpful to people on the board who have been having similar issues.

It is bad that emails can't be used multiple times - seems like it's being used as a unique ID in the system.  If so - it's a tricky fix.  I'm sure they're working on it.

Are vaccine distributions based on population of counties?  Is there a page that show the county vaccination breakdown?

Here's some data I found

Essex county administered 44,887 doses for a population of 800,000 = 5.61% 

Hunterdon county administered 8,575 for a population of 125,000 = 6.86%

Looks like the distribution is pretty fairly based on population.  Running out of vaccine show that we're able to at least keep pace - hopefully kinks in the supply chain will improve over time.

Vaccine info can be found here: https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/covid2019_dashboard.shtml

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.