Getting My Rona Vaccine. Essex County

sbenois said:

350 today

Not enough

mrmaplewood said:

Thanks Gov. Murphy for really sticking it to me.  I am over 75 and was earlier reclassified upward to 1B from 1C.  But when you opened the 1B category for vaccinations, you left me, and all the others like me, not eligible, out of the deal, in the cold.  So now you open up to 65 and older and 18 and older with medical conditions.  Instead of being in the line of my proper classification, now the floodgates are opened up and I have to compete with many 1C eligibles for an appointment.  Good going, gov.  What the hell good did my 1B status do?  You have effectively downgraded what had been upgraded.  Remember gov. I am a voter.  So I called the telephone number and was told all appointments until Jan. 22 are filled, call back later.  Wonderful!

Also  when I registered online earlier for an appointment there was no way to indicate my preferred appointment date.  All I got is a message that I am registered, no date indicated.  Did I miss out, or is this a question that is still to come, does anyone know?

Your experience was better than mine. I am also legitimately in 1B, though not a first responder.  When I went online late yesterday to schedule a vaccine (I had no computer for two days and am now on a loaner), I received the message that all available appointments were taken and I should try again later.  I was then told by a reliable source that this message was wrong and as long as I had supplied an email address prior to trying to fill out the appointment request form, I would receive an email once an appointment was available.  For those in my position, it is helpful to know that if your medical provider is on the list of providers administering the vaccine, you may be able to get an appointment by calling the medical provider.  I did this late yesterday, learned that my provider currently has no vaccine available and will phone me with an appointment as soon as they get another supply. 

And if your medical provider is not on the list of providers who have access to the vaccine then apparently the state says you can go **** yourselves.

This is a worldwide public health crisis.  Anyone who has access to the vaccine should be required to administer it to anyone who qualifies under state guild lines.    Reserving it for their own patients is unethical.

A family member of mine has signed up at SMG and at his county’s clinic.  He said that this way if one runs out before he gets his shot, he has the other appointment as a back up.  He can’t comprehend that they make appointments based on how many doses they have available.  And he doesn’t give a flying **** that by signing up twice he has taken a time slot away from someone else who actually needs it.  Of course this is the same **** who actually admires people who cut into traffic during traffic jams because they’re smart.   angry

My wife and I both got appointment dates for Feb 2nd via EssexCOVID.org this morning (as persons over 65). They are supposed to email "time of day" at some point. 

It's been a weird crap-shoot because I tried several times yesterday and even at 5:00 AM this morning with no success but my lovely wife had better luck for both of us at 9:00.

RATS.  See that!  I'm over 75 and can get no appointment from them.  Steel did you sign up new, or were you registered earlier?  What was the key to getting your appointment?  I am already registered.

mrmaplewood,

We had "pre-registered" on the NJ State website (which I suspect was neither harm nor help) only the day before Gov. Murphy opened the floodgates by announcing that all persons over 65 were now "eligible" which I had read that he was going to do. (I'm 65 and my wife is 69 although she looks younger than me which is really annoying).

I had previously tried to schedule an appointment on EssexCOVID.org site (really just for the hell of it) but at that time, when it still wasn't accepting folks over 65 (but younger than you) it wouldn't let me even get started (which I frankly expected and was correct not to let me).

However, that same day that Murphy made his announcement (which I believe was a follow-on to the new ever-changing CDC guidelines) I tried repeatedly to get an appointment on the Essex site which would now let me click-answer basic questions but then the few dates that were listed as "possible" were in fact NOT (a little pink pop-up box would appear saying they were full, they were full, they were full, try again another time).  

They kept adding a day or two to the list but still no luck (all filled quickly) until my wife managed to get us two spots for Feb 2nd this morning. I guess it is a matter of shear luck of timing as they add days? 

In other words: I don't know if the state and county sites are even really hooked into each other. Just keep trying the EssexCOVID.org site until it relents.

Hopefully things get better. As I told a younger neighbor the other day, -"They used to have a saying I remember from the early 70s - 'I don't want to be the last guy to die in Vietnam".

cramer said:

I'm over 65 and filled out the information on EssexCOVID.org and picked a date, Jan 21 at Livingston. I received an email requesting that I confirm my email address and when I confirmed it a message appeared that said my information would be reviewed and I would be receiving further information, or something like that - no confirmation of my date. Is that the way it works? Do I just go to Livingston Mall on Jan. 21? 

Based on my experience, just show up on that date. Bring your insurance card and driver's lic.

cramer,

I have also heard anecdotally that you may not get the confirmation and "time to show up" until the day before (which would seem a little nerve-racking).

I just got my confirmation an hour ago. Whew!

Steel, I have been registered with Essexcovid.org for about 2 weeks.  Tried to register with the NJ state registry today, but it wouldn't let me complete the form telling me I was already registered at Essex.  I don't know how you could get an appointment before I am able to.  Did you claim to be physically impaired or a smoker?  This system is not smelling fair to me.  Drug stores don't seem to have any vaccine and don't want to take appointments.

mrmaplewood,

I'm sorry, but I don't really have an answer as to why I got an appointment before you. I will say that I'm not sure what you mean by "registered" on the Essex site. I only know that we clicked on the "schedule a vaccine" button on the Essex website, we then had to go through a number of mostly "yes or no" click questions which then led us to the aforementioned frustrating "pick a date" pull-down menu.

Also, no, I did not claim to be physically impaired or a smoker or claim any other problem on the Essex site although I did correctly click on the "hypertension" bullet point I believe on the NJ State site but I feel that that had no influence especially since my wife had zero health problems to relate and she is scheduled on the same day as me.

I apologize for any confusion. I do know that the verbiage on the Essex site speaks of "registering for an vaccine appointment" and that as stated above we were able to do so by clicking on the "schedule a vaccine" button.

Steel, I think you have said you are over 65, correct? I also believe you (Mr Maplewood)  should go back to the Essex covid website & try to start over with the new "survey" that added the new categories this week, ie above 65 and those with high risk medical conditions (including smoking). 

You are not likely to get an appt on the first try, and it may take many tries but I have been reading on Nextdoor that many 65-pluser's got appointments today. 

Yup.

berkeley said:

Steel, I think you have said you are over 65, correct? 

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Based on my experience, just show up on that date. Bring your insurance card and driver's lic.

1) If you show up on the date of your appointment you will get in regardless of the time of the appointment* unless your time shows as 12:00am.   Appointments showing with that time  are still waiting for an actual date and proper time...in those cases you will likely not get the shot that day but you SHOULD come in to discuss it.  

*If you have an appointment for 1:30 pm on 1/18/21, you can come in earlier on that day...you don't need to wait until 1:30.   

Generally there is a bit of a rush from 10-10:30 and then it quiets down until around 11:15.    Regardless of when you arrive,  from the time you walk in until you finish your 15 minutes being observed, you will be out the door in about 30 minutes tops.   

Make sure that you find your screening number (five digits generally starting with the 9 or 6 digits generally starting with a 1).  Have the screening number visible on either your phone (in the text you received) or bring the printed email showing it (about 2 inches down on the left side).  

2) If you registered on the site for an appointment and haven't gottent one yet, be patient, you will get one.

3) Make sure that you confirm your email address when you register .  (deleted the rest)   

4) Do NOT show up and try to use someone else's appointment because they can't make it...you will be rejected.  

5) Ensure that you have not had any vaccine of any type within 14 days of getting the COVID vaccine...you will be rejected.

6) Ensure that you have not tested positive for COVID within the last 90 days...you will be rejected

7) If you are pregnant or breastfeeding you need to check with your doctor before getting the shot.   Same if you are taking any immunosuppresive drugs or therapies for something like cancer or HIV.

8) There is NO waiting list for people to be called at the end of the day... despite what people have read and repeated.   None.  Period.  

Keep in mind that there are 800,000 people in Essex County looking to get shots.   It's easy to blame Murphy.  It's awfully frustrating.  But if you want to blame anyone, the current dolt in the White House is the place to start.

What time do they open in the morning....Livingston?

2nd shot- the card says I am to get the second shot on the 27th, no time. I guess, just walk in.

1. 10am

2, You should have an email from "savethisemail@essexcovid.org" showing your original appointment as well as the second one.  The time for the second shot should be there.   

Currently coming early is not really an issue but it may change as the second shots roll in while others are also getting their first shots.  So look for that time in the email.   

It's going to be even worse when they go to group 2 (i.e. "everyone else") whenever that happens precisely because it's everyone else.  Somehow, as a 63-year-old nonsmoker, my risk is considered to be no different than that of an 18-year-old.  Don't I wish?!?!  Also why 1a, 1b, 1c and then 2?  Why not 1, 2, 3...?

Because everyone is trying to play catch up with the CDC and the Dolt in the White House.

Once Biden gets in there all of this is going to be fixed.   It's RIDICULOUS that there was no funding from the Feds to get the infrastructure in place.  But I will tell you that if there is one guy who is truly a hero right now it is Joe DiVincenzo.   Not only did he get WAY ahead of everyone else on this but the guy is showing up at the sites - at least Livingston - to really make sure that everything is going well.  He was there for hours yesterday.  Just wearing jeans, sneakers and a sweater.  If every leader around the country took it as seriously as he does we would be in great shape - as long as there was enough vaccine to go around.  I will vote for that guy for whatever he ever runs for just for the way he has handled this.

Essex County has been impressive.  

I think Moderna and Pfizer have each represented that they will have 100 million doses out by the end of the quarter.  If true, things will get better, all the more so if J&J comes on line in February.

Our nerves are frayed by the winter surge but it just may be that last week was the peak (which that Gottlieb guy predicted).   The daily positive test totals have been slowly coming down in a number of states.

sbenois said:

3) Make sure that you confirm your email address when you register and DO NOT use one email address for multiple people.  It won't work.   

So if Joe’s elderly relative doesn’t have email and Joe signs up for them, then Joe can’t sign up for himself because his email address can only be used once?  Is this the state or the county that is stupid enough to just assumes that every single resident in the state has an email address?  

I asked a relative who works at a Newark hospital her opinion on this.  She was shocked to hear that email addresses cannot be used more than once, as the majority of her elderly patients do not have email, and do not have smart phones, and would normally use a younger relative if something HAD to be done by email.  One appointment slot per emails address is going to be disastrous for elder poor people.  

I’m sorry, but **** show absolutely applies, especially when making it nearly impossible for economically disadvantaged seniors to get the vaccine.

Or, perhaps you can just chill out while it gets resolved?

Edited to add: and it is now apparently resolved.   

I agree that Joe D. has been way ahead of most places and has done an excellent job.  I have been volunteering at the K-Mart in West Orange.   I think I heard Joe D say on the news that if we get enough vaccine that he will run the clinics 24/7...so good leadership.    I think a big problem has been the lack of vaccines.   The national news tonight was very confusing and it is not at all clear how much and when more vaccine will be arriving.    

I just want to add to keep trying every day at essexcovid.org and atlantichealth.org and any other health provider who is doing vaccinations.  

I would really like to hear from Dr. Fauci on this vaccine supply issue.  

sbenois said:

Or, perhaps you can just chill out while it gets resolved?

Edited to add: and it is now apparently resolved.   

What got fixed?

Apparently the same email can be used for multiple people.  I will know for certain on Monday.

sbenois said:

1. 10am

2, You should have an email from "savethisemail@essexcovid.org" showing your original appointment as well as the second one.  The time for the second shot should be there.   

Currently coming early is not really an issue but it may change as the second shots roll in while others are also getting their first shots.  So look for that time in the email.   

On December 24, I signed up and registered for vaccine. I was given a date of 12/30 and time slot of 11:00 a.m. No further communication from anyone. On Dec. 30, I went to Livingston and walked right in. Then at 11;25, I walked out, vaccinate.

On January 5th, I received a text telling me that my shot was scheduled for Dec. 30. at 10:00. THE PRIOR WEEK. 

Since then, I received no further communication by text, mail or email. Nuthin' from "savethisemail...."

I have a receipt/card from the vaccination telling me to return on 1/27 for the 2nd. shot, but no time is given. I expect that the card will be my admission ticket to the second shot.

Moral of the story: It's still a s..t show.

Moral of the story: you got into the system while there were still issues with it and they were trying to catch up.

You can continue to go down the path of painting this as a **** show but I have been there 4 times now and the number of problems has diminished significantly as the early bugs in the system were being worked out.   

You can continue to paint this as a **** show, but you simply have no idea what you are talking about.   

I have to agree with sb. No one has any experience in doing a huge vaccination rollout like this. That, plus the absence of federal guidance and funds just makes it that much harder. The absence of a national health care system certainly doesn't help either.

We really should be cutting these folks some slack.

sbenois said:

Moral of the story: you got into the system while there were still issues with it and they were trying to catch up.

You can continue to go down the path of painting this as a **** show but I have been there 4 times now and the number of problems has diminished significantly as the early bugs in the system were being worked out.   

You can continue to paint this as a **** show, but you simply have no idea what you are talking about.   

Ya wanna meet me at Coda? Guinness to me if I can't document what I have been posting. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.