Garage Repair Recommendations (Roof, Concrete footing)

My garage (which I use as shed) is on it's last legs and needs major repairs to the structure and a complete new roof.  Apparently back in the day they didn't give garages concrete footings, so my garage has terminates and one wall is beginning to bow outwards.

I would tear it down and buy a really nice shed from Home Depot but there is an ordnance in Maplewood that states you have to keep your garage (still?).  Hmm, can I have the town condemn it, so I can tear it down?

Has anyone done a repair where  you had to put the concrete footings in?  Were you happy with the construction crew? 

I had a previous quote from Skillman doors but they didn't seem to want (or do) concrete footings.  I am going to reach out to Bob Hume, Clayton, and Tico's to get the ball rolling on some quotes.


Regards,

RCH



Here is my beautiful garage:


rch2330 said:

Here is my beautiful garage:

 you can tear down and replace with a minimum 1 car garage ( a big shed?)


I would not tear it down as it will decrease your home value.  


Please let us know how the quotes and the work goes. I don’t have any recs. Sorry.


Ours was a wreck and we used Mike Pines construction, he rebuilt it according to code (one wall at a time so it wasn't a teardown, which would've required us to build any new structure 7' from the property line, if I recall.) It wasn't cheap but we loved the end result and a garage is very handy to have if you're ever reselling your house, we were told.


addiemoose said:

Ours was a wreck and we used Mike Pines construction, he rebuilt it according to code (one wall at a time so it wasn't a teardown, which would've required us to build any new structure 7' from the property line, if I recall.) It wasn't cheap but we loved the end result and a garage is very handy to have if you're ever reselling your house, we were told.

Thanks.  Do you have his contact information? 

Regards,

RCH


I believe the board got tired of people doing for variances to keep setbacks so they passed an ordinance that you can replace what's there with a like structure and put it in the same place


Michael D'Alessio
Pinewood Construction
732-803-6592 (my memory was a bit off...)


Rich Quadrini is  a local contractor who redoes garages, basements, etc at fair prices. I’m a designer and I’ve worked with him on a few projects.
rquadrini69@gmail.com



rch2330 said:

My garage (which I use as shed) is on it's last legs and needs major repairs to the structure and a complete new roof.  Apparently back in the day they didn't give garages concrete footings, so my garage has terminates and one wall is beginning to bow outwards.

I would tear it down and buy a really nice shed from Home Depot but there is an ordnance in Maplewood that states you have to keep your garage (still?).  Hmm, can I have the town condemn it, so I can tear it down?

Has anyone done a repair where  you had to put the concrete footings in?  Were you happy with the construction crew? 

I had a previous quote from Skillman doors but they didn't seem to want (or do) concrete footings.  I am going to reach out to Bob Hume, Clayton, and Tico's to get the ball rolling on some quotes.

Regards,

RCH

Look at the Township of Maplewood Zoning and Development Regulations- Article IV, Section 271-35, Paragraph C. Search internet: townshipofmaplewood; ecode360.com


Has anyone used A1 Professional for roofing? They quoted me $9,500 for a new roof and gutters. They showed up, took off half of my roof and then told me it would be $22,500 to finish the job.


optimyst said:

Look at the Township of Maplewood Zoning and Development Regulations- Article IV, Section 271-35, Paragraph C. Search internet: townshipofmaplewood; ecode360.com

 Thanks.  So the way I read it, it appears I could knock it down, if I rebuild it exactly as is now (or add say add dormer as long as it does not increase non-conformity).  Of course I would confirm that with the town before doing it.  Better safe than $orry.

A garage erected in the rear yard shall be placed no less than four feet from the rear property line. If the lot has a greater depth than 150 feet, the garage may be located as though the lot had a depth of only 150 feet. A preexisting nonconforming detached garage may be rebuilt as of right in the event of destruction or desire to modernize, provided that the newly constructed garage does not increase any nonconformity with current ordinance requirements that exist with the preexisting nonconforming garage.


Regards,

Rich Herring


Affina Garage. Anyone here use them?




In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement