fox and falcon

apple44 said:

lanky said:
I'm not pessimistic, just posting the experience of my family and thoughts on how I think they can improve.  From a service standpoint (restaurant, not the waiter) they definitely have the best approach of any restaurant in our towns that I have experienced.  They are very kid friendly.  I wish they more kid food options, smaller kid potions and thus a cheaper kid menu.  Same philosophy for the wines by the glass.  I will definitely go back to try dishes other than burger like the branzino.  
Overall, it is a welcome addition to the dining scene IMO.  It's still early, hopefully they will adjust and find their groove to cater to the locals.
Agree. You ordered something, and it wasn't what you expected. That's fair. I was referring more to the assumption that because someone else nearby also makes meatballs and sauce, these new guys might be putting his stuff on their menu.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying the falcon. I hear it tastes like chicken. grin

When I was possibly 5 or 6 years old,  I sat down to what I was told was a chicken dinner.  I thought it tasted a little strange.  Mentioned it and my father who said it was a "female chicken",  which to a 5 year old was a perfectly acceptable explanation.

As it turned out it was wild rabbit that some friends had brought in from hunting.  Fortunately did not find out till years later.

Muskrat tastes like pot roast.

I have gone to several wild game, fundraiser dinners in Vt. 

Rabbit, o.k.

Deer, dry.

Bear, drier,

Moose dry.

Allegator, ok

'possum, ok

Good muskrat eating is only an hour or so away

lanky said:
250 ml = 8.45 oz.  Personally, I'm still used to restaurants charging in the $12-14 range for a 9 oz pour.  
Re-looking at the math, $15 would be a retail price.  $10 would be closer to a wholesale price, so yes, I think they are overcharging.  But regardless, to be successful I think they should offer less pricey wines (which can taste just as good or better).

Wow you're right about wholesale / retail price.  Can't believe I missed that. 

author said:

apple44 said:

lanky said:
I'm not pessimistic, just posting the experience of my family and thoughts on how I think they can improve.  From a service standpoint (restaurant, not the waiter) they definitely have the best approach of any restaurant in our towns that I have experienced.  They are very kid friendly.  I wish they more kid food options, smaller kid potions and thus a cheaper kid menu.  Same philosophy for the wines by the glass.  I will definitely go back to try dishes other than burger like the branzino.  
Overall, it is a welcome addition to the dining scene IMO.  It's still early, hopefully they will adjust and find their groove to cater to the locals.
Agree. You ordered something, and it wasn't what you expected. That's fair. I was referring more to the assumption that because someone else nearby also makes meatballs and sauce, these new guys might be putting his stuff on their menu.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying the falcon. I hear it tastes like chicken. grin
 When I was possibly 5 or 6 years old,  I sat down to what I was told was a chicken dinner.  I thought it tasted a little strange.  Mentioned it and my father who said it was a "female chicken",  which to a 5 year old was a perfectly acceptable explanation.
As it turned out it was wild rabbit that some friends had brought in from hunting.  Fortunately did not find out till years later.

To further define the situation........my father practically stepped into a different culture when he came here from the coal fields of Pennsylvania in the days of the Depression. 

As children he and his brothers used to follow the coal cars and retrieve spilled coal to help heat their home.  Later as coal miners they had more nefarious night time ways of removing coal from the mines.   There are more definitions of the term "bootlegging" then most people recognize.

Deer taken down in season and small game in  times as well as fish from the streams and lakes fed the families.

I remember meeting teenage cousins who had never seen the ocean.  It is a big world out there.

author said:

To further define the situation........my father practically stepped into a different culture when he came here from the coal fields of Pennsylvania in the days of the Depression. 

As children he and his brothers used to follow the coal cars and retrieve spilled coal to help heat their home.  Later as coal miners they had more nefarious night time ways of removing coal from the mines.   There are more definitions of the term "bootlegging" then most people recognize.
Deer taken down in season and small game in  times as well as fish from the streams and lakes fed the families.

I remember meeting teenage cousins who had never seen the ocean.  It is a big world out there.

I don't find eating wild game and fish to be at all odd.  I haven't gone hunting in ages, but that is more a function of living in NJ where there aren't a lot of places to hunt than anything else.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
Rabbit, o.k.
Deer, dry.
Bear, drier,
Moose dry.
Allegator, ok
'possum, ok

Something in this list stands out as not typical game found in Vermont. 

tjohn said:

author said:

I don't find eating wild game and fish to be at all odd.  I haven't gone hunting in ages, but that is more a function of living in NJ where there aren't a lot of places to hunt than anything else.

200 miles difference in location........the type of work available can make a world of difference in

your circumstance.

The area of my father two generations earlier was a center of Molly McGuire activity.  Substitute

Irish coal miners than with Polish/Lithuanian miners in the early part of this century till now and the stage is set.

My father grew up in Frontier, Wyoming.  His father was a coal miner.  At least one town in which he lived is no longer on the map.  He and his family enjoyed wild game and fish whenever they could.  As an adult living in Lancaster, PA,  he still enjoyed hunting and fishing although it was a choice and not a necessity.

tjohn said:
My father grew up in Frontier, Wyoming.  His father was a coal miner.  At least one town in which he lived is no longer on the map.  He and his family enjoyed wild game and fish whenever they could.  As an adult living in Lancaster, PA,  he still enjoyed hunting and fishing although it was a choice and not a necessit

When the Pennsylvania coal fields played out after WW2.........the miners were fortunate to get one or two days work a week.  Jersey offered plenty of work,  especially in the oil refineries .  Only the oldest brother remained in the area.  Five came to Jersey and never saw a day without work again.

My father always said Pennsylvania was beautiful but you could not eat the scenery.  His dislike of Jersey was palpable........but the choices were not good.

My grandfather's advice to his boys was "do anything you want except work in the mines".

mrincredible said:

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
Rabbit, o.k.
Deer, dry.
Bear, drier,
Moose dry.
Allegator, ok
'possum, ok

An occasional Alligator surfaces in the water around Bennington .

mrincredible said:

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
Rabbit, o.k.
Deer, dry.
Bear, drier,
Moose dry.
Allegator, ok
'possum, ok

What? You been there and never seen a rabbit?

tjohn said:
My grandfather's advice to his boys was "do anything you want except work in the mines".

Sounds familiar....very familiar.  My dad used to say "It is easier to work with a pencil than a shovel.

So back to the Foxy Falcon...

I wish them well. I have a feeling there is more to come as they get things going. They have three (four if you count the main dining room separately) distinct areas. Lots of opportunity to mix up different things. I'll likely give it a try at some point, but I doubt that's going to sway anyone else.

With regards to the photo of the half burger posted a while ago, I have seen animals hurt worse than that get better*.  If you pay them extra, will they cook it for you?

*to paraphrase JC.

GoSlugs said:
With regards to the photo of the half burger posted a while ago, I have seen animals hurt worse than that get better*.  If you pay them extra, will they cook it for you?
*to paraphrase JC.

I was going to compliment the red center, but then wouldn't have been able to stop myself from making fun of the mustard, so I didn't.

I'm not trying to be negative, I shouldn't have even said anything since I don't eat meatballs or burgers. Hopefully the chef gets to show off his talents with the dishes I do eat.

(Note: The following does not apply to the Fox&Falcon!)

I have a friend in the know about restaurants and he talks about the difference between those who serve restaurant depot/Cisco food and those who actually develop dishes from scratch. With so much prepared food available wholesale I can see why some places might do that. There was a French bistro we used to enjoy and at one point the fries were different. I guess I foolishly assumed that the fries (which were REALLY good) were cut on premises. We mentioned to the waiter that the fries changes and he made a comment about restaurant depot and I was crushed. I mean it didn't really matter because we went for the mussels and the fries were just a bonus...I just preferred the thought of everything scratch made.

$14 for a very meager Dewars on the rocks.  That’s disappointing.  

jeffl said:
$14 for a very meager Dewars on the rocks.  That’s disappointing.  

Did you have it with dinner? If so, how was the food?

I'm not accustomed to ordering liquor when I go out to eat. Is that excessive?

Went there last night.  Fish was good - Mashed potatoes were good - Fries were good.  Burger - was ok - but I probably wouldn't order it again.  I wasn't crazy about the roll, bread to meat ratio was off IMO.  Service was good.  My corona wasn't as ice cold as I like, maybe they were recently stocked - $6 was a good price for it.

From looking at a menu someone posted somewhere, drink prices seem to be all over the place. $14 for that drink is high, but they also have mixed house cocktails for $10, which is low. Am not aware of beer prices.

I often find that unless it's an old-school divey bar, whiskey pours are kind of meager. Ridiculous prices for liquor licenses around here can't help.

Dropped in last night. They have SOMA Reservation IPA and Two Towns on tap, and the bartender was happy to replace a warm one with a pint ($8) from another part of the restaurant -- even though I had finished the warm one before saying something. 

I noticed a $10 pinot grigio quartino on the bar menu. And they are knitter-friendly.

j_r said:
Dropped in last night. They have SOMA Reservation IPA and Two Towns on tap, and the bartender was happy to replace a warm one with a pint ($8) from another part of the restaurant -- even though I had finished the warm one before saying something. 
I noticed a $10 pinot grigio quartino on the bar menu. And they are knitter-friendly.

Is 'knitter friendly' code for something? grin 

soda said:
Throwback Thursday...
-s.

Does it matter if fries are handcut?

apple44 said:
Good muskrat eating is only an hour or so away

It looks like the animals die a pretty horrible death. 

callista said:

Ha! No, I meant that literally. There's a new yarn shop right next door, and a group of about a dozen regulars got together at F&F for drinks. Knitting in bars is highly recommended.

j_r said:

callista said:

Ha! No, I meant that literally. There's a new yarn shop right next door, and a group of about a dozen regulars got together at F&F for drinks. Knitting in bars is highly recommended.

The Snug seems like a PERFECT place for that!!! It would be even more perfect with a woodburning fireplace.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!