Former US intelligence analysts: CIA allegations of Russian email hacking are baseless

drummerboy said:

cherry picking two sentences out of a peer-reviewed study (actually, a meta-analysis of other studies) is kind of prima facie evidence that someone is trying to B.S. you.

That someone would be you paul.

paulsurovell said:

Here's the Harvard study that Abby cited:

https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1104912/

Conclusions: The results support the possibility of an adverse effect of high fluoride exposure on children’s neurodevelopment. Future research should include detailed individual-level information on prenatal exposure, neurobehavioral performance, and covariates for adjustment
Here's the Sierra Club's position on fluoride:
https://www.sierraclub.org/policy/policy-fluoride-drinking-water

There are now, however, valid concerns regarding the potential adverse impact of fluoridation on the environment, wildlife, and human health.

I quoted the conclusion of the study. In full. Your latest slur-du-jour -- "Fluoride!" -- fails again.

drummerboy said:

as I asked you before, you need to clarify what is considered "new". This thread has been going on for almost a year. The OP was based on what we knew last December. What about all that has developed in 2017? Is that all bogus evidence too?

paulsurovell said:

cramer said:

paulsurovell said:

drummerboy said:

uh oh. more fake news.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/15/how-trump-walked-into-putins-web-luke
The graphic certainly meets high journalistic standards.

What is new in this article? 
You can pre-order the book. The piece in The Guardian is an excerpt. 

https://www.amazon.com/Collusion-Secret-Meetings-Russia-Helped/dp/0525562516/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510803191&sr=1-1&keywords=luke+harding
Thanks, but I wanted to know what drummerboy found that was new in the excerpt.

Well, let's say, what's new in this excerpt that we didn't know a month ago.

paulsurovell said:

https://www.amazon.com/Collusion-Secret-Meetings-Russia-Helped/dp/0525562516/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510803191&sr=1-1&keywords=luke+harding

What's new is the following. Granted, we still only have Steele's word for it, but Mueller's people have interviewed Steele and we'll see what comes of it, if anything. 

"Steele was adamant that his reporting was credible. One associate described him as sober, cautious, highly regarded, professional and conservative. “He’s not the sort of person who will pass on gossip. If he puts something in a report, he believes there is sufficient credibility in it,” the associate said. The idea that Steele’s work was fake or a cowboy operation or born of political malice was completely wrong, he added.

The dossier, Steele told friends, was a thoroughly professional job, based on sources who had proven themselves in other areas. Evaluating sources depended on a critical box of tools: what was a source’s reporting record, was he or she credible, what was the motivation?

Steele recognised that no piece of intelligence was 100% right. According to friends, he assessed that his work on the Trump dossier was 70-90% accurate. Over eight years, Orbis had produced scores of reports on Russia for private clients. A lot of this content was verified or “proven up”. As Steele told friends: “I’ve been dealing with this country for 30 years. Why would I invent this stuff?”

cramer said:

paulsurovell said:

What's new is the following. Granted, we still only have Steele's word for it, but Mueller's people have interviewed Steele and we'll see what comes of it, if anything. 

"Steele was adamant that his reporting was credible. One associate described him as sober, cautious, highly regarded, professional and conservative. “He’s not the sort of person who will pass on gossip. If he puts something in a report, he believes there is sufficient credibility in it,” the associate said. The idea that Steele’s work was fake or a cowboy operation or born of political malice was completely wrong, he added.

The dossier, Steele told friends, was a thoroughly professional job, based on sources who had proven themselves in other areas. Evaluating sources depended on a critical box of tools: what was a source’s reporting record, was he or she credible, what was the motivation?

Steele recognised that no piece of intelligence was 100% right. According to friends, he assessed that his work on the Trump dossier was 70-90% accurate. Over eight years, Orbis had produced scores of reports on Russia for private clients. A lot of this content was verified or “proven up”. As Steele told friends: “I’ve been dealing with this country for 30 years. Why would I invent this stuff?”

Sounds like the author is Steele's PR representative.

Latest actual news:

A Split From Trump Indicates That Flynn Is Moving to Cooperate With Mueller

WASHINGTON — Lawyers for Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s former national security adviser, notified the president’s legal team in recent days that they could no longer discuss the special counsel’s investigation, according to four people involved in the case — an indication that Mr. Flynn is cooperating with prosecutors or negotiating a deal.

Mr. Flynn’s lawyers had been sharing information with Mr. Trump’s lawyers about the investigation by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, who is examining whether anyone around Mr. Trump was involved in Russian efforts to undermine Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

That agreement has been terminated, the four people said. Defense lawyers frequently share information during investigations, but they must stop when doing so would pose a conflict of interest. It is unethical for lawyers to work together when one client is cooperating with prosecutors and another is still under investigation.

The notification alone does not prove that Mr. Flynn is cooperating with Mr. Mueller. Some lawyers withdraw from information-sharing arrangements as soon as they begin negotiating with prosecutors. And such negotiations sometimes fall apart.

Still, the notification led Mr. Trump’s lawyers to believe that Mr. Flynn — who, along with his son, is seen as having significant criminal exposure — has, at the least, begun discussions with Mr. Mueller about cooperating.

(NYT)

More actual news:

Michael Flynn Expected to Plead Guilty to Lying to the F.B.I.

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, is expected to plead guilty on Friday to lying to the F.B.I. about two conversations with the Russian ambassador last December during the presidential transition.

The charges were the latest indication that Mr. Flynn was cooperating with the investigation by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, into Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election. Mr. Flynn was scheduled to appear in federal court in Washington at 10:30 on Friday morning.

A plea deal with Mr. Flynn brings Mr. Mueller’s investigation into Mr. Trump’s inner circle. A plea agreement suggests that Mr. Flynn provided information to prosecutors, which may help advance the inquiry.

(Rest of story at NYT)

PVW said:

More actual news:

Michael Flynn Expected to Plead Guilty to Lying to the F.B.I.

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, is expected to plead guilty on Friday to lying to the F.B.I. about two conversations with the Russian ambassador last December during the presidential transition.

The charges were the latest indication that Mr. Flynn was cooperating with the investigation by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, into Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election. Mr. Flynn was scheduled to appear in federal court in Washington at 10:30 on Friday morning.

A plea deal with Mr. Flynn brings Mr. Mueller’s investigation into Mr. Trump’s inner circle. A plea agreement suggests that Mr. Flynn provided information to prosecutors, which may help advance the inquiry.

(Rest of story at NYT)

K.T. McFarland is the latest to be caught lying.

Manafort lost his bail by joining up with  "a longtime friend ....tied to a Russian intelligence service" To work on a public relations press release, some kind of opinion piece. Is that incriminating or what?

Reuters:

Deutsche Bank gets subpoena from Mueller on Trump accounts: source

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller has asked Deutsche Bank (DBKGn.DE) for data on accounts held by President Donald Trump and his family, a person close to the matter said on Tuesday.

This, to me, has always been the more interesting (and maybe even important question) -- what, broadly speaking, are Trump's financial interests, and in what ways might he be compromised as a result? The Russia angle is a very plausible one, and the one most in the news, but getting this financial info potentially gets to not just the question of Russian collusion, but that of further improper and maybe illegal ties as well. Who, exactly, is Trump beholden to?

PVW said:

Reuters:

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller has asked Deutsche Bank (DBKGn.DE) for data on accounts held by President Donald Trump and his family, a person close to the matter said on Tuesday.

This, to me, has always been the more interesting (and maybe even important question) -- what, broadly speaking, are Trump's financial interests, and in what ways might he be compromised as a result? The Russia angle is a very plausible one, and the one most in the news, but getting this financial info potentially gets to not just the question of Russian collusion, but that of further improper and maybe illegal ties as well. Who, exactly, is Trump beholden to?

Agreed. And it just came out that Kushner did not disclose a $285 million loan from Deutsche last October.

The funniest part of Kushner's admission in the past "I have not relied on Russian funds to finance my business activities in the private sector." is the word RELIED.

So did he rely on other funds in a way to avoid relying on Russian funds?  It's a direct admission that he has financial ties to Russian funds.

dave23 said:

PVW said:

Reuters:

Agreed. And it just came out that Kushner did not disclose a $285 million loan from Deutsche last October.

I thought Kushner's $285 million loan from Deutche Bank was old news. 

Washington Post June 25, 2017

"One month before Election Day, Jared Kushner’s real estate company finalized a $285 million loan as part of a refinancing package for its property near Times Square in Manhattan.

The loan came at a critical moment. Kushner was playing a key role in the presidential campaign of his father-in-law, Donald Trump. The lender, Deutsche Bank, was negotiating to settle a federal mortgage fraud case and charges from New York state regulators that it aided a possible Russian money-laundering scheme. The cases were settled in December and January."  

This is interesting:

"On May 23, the Democratic members asked Deutsche Bank to disclose what it had learned in its internal review about whether Trump may have benefited from the improper Russian money transfers. The bank refused, citing U.S. privacy laws. The Democratic letter also raised the possibility that the bank had conducted a similar review of Kushner — without mentioning his name — by referring to a review of accounts “held by family members, several of whom serve as official advisers to the president.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/kushner-firms-285-million-deutsche-bank-loan-came-just-before-election-day/2017/06/25/984f3acc-4f88-11e7-b064-828ba60fbb98_story.html?utm_term=.be5045eb467a

cramer said:

Washington Post June 25, 2016  

"One month before Election Day, Jared Kushner’s real estate company finalized a $285 million loan as part of a refinancing package for its property near Times Square in Manhattan.

Aha, looks that way, though I think the date you are looking for is 2017, not 2016.

dave23 said:

cramer said:

Washington Post June 25, 2016  

Aha, looks that way, though I think the date you are looking for is 2017, not 2016.

Changed the date - thanks. 

Looks like the feds continue to be very interested in Trump/Kushner finances, and not just Mueller's team:

Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn have sought bank records about entities associated with the family company of Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, according to four people briefed on the matter.

In recent weeks, prosecutors from the United States attorney’s office in the Eastern District of New York subpoenaed records from Deutsche Bank, the giant German financial institution that has lent hundreds of millions of dollars to the Kushner family real estate business.

Mr. Kushner, who was the Kushner Companies’ chief executive until January, still owns part of the business after selling some of his stake. The family businesses include many legal entities. It is not clear which records were sought by prosecutors, what they are seeking to learn from them or to what degree, if any, they directly involve Mr. Kushner.

There is no indication that the subpoena is related to the investigation being conducted by Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel, into Russian meddling in the 2016 United States presidential election. Three prosecutors on Mr. Mueller’s team previously worked at the United States attorney’s office in Brooklyn, one as recently as this year. Federal prosecutors around the country typically check with Justice Department headquarters when their investigations may overlap.

More at NYT.

The NY Times obituary of Robert Parry, founder and editor of Consortium News, who published the OP for this thread and many critiques of corporate media reporting on Russiagate. He was one of the best journalists this country has ever produced. Bob died on Saturday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/obituaries/robert-parry-investigative-reporter-dies.html

That's sad. I've been reading Parry for many years

paulsurovell said:

The NY Times obituary of Robert Parry, founder and editor of Consortium News, who published the OP for this thread and many critiques of corporate media reporting on Russiagate. He was one of the best journalists this country has ever produced. Bob died on Saturday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/obituaries/robert-parry-investigative-reporter-dies.html

Paul would say that the "slip up" was merely bait to throw us McCarthyites into a tizzy.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!