Flu shots 2020

I don't recall seeing anything with regard to Mwood doing flu shots this year.  Does anyone have current info?

Thanks

if you are uninsured, the cash price was $44 at stop and shop (might be more for the senior version, but I would hope seniors have medicare or medicaid)..it was free with insurance.  I used to try CVS, but got turned away 2x because they were too busy, tried urgent care that year and they claimed my insurance wouldn't cover it, which I knew was wrong...but I was too annoyed to fight with them and walked away.  The supermarkets tend to not be as busy...much less of a hassle than CVS/Walgreens.

I've had quick service at the CVS in Target Vauxhall in the past but this year I got it at Summit Medical Group because I wasn't too keen on spending time inside Target.

I got mine at Walgreens on Morris Ave this morning. Pretty easy.

But then I realized that I think I already got a flu shot a couple of months ago.  Either that or a shingles booster. LOL

Gotta check with my PCP.

A flu shot a couple of months ago might not carry immunity all the way through flu season. 

From the CDC website:

"However, getting vaccinated early (for example, in July or August) is likely to be associated with reduced protection against flu infection later in the flu season, particularly among older adults."

So in this case even if you got a shot two months ago, it's probably good you got one recently.

That's news to me. I thought a flu shot lasted for something like a year.

I was concerned that getting two flu shots might be harmful, but it turns out it's not.

It was news to me last year.

I have to get an annual flu shot for work. It takes a few days to submit the paperwork, but they make it so I have to renew a year after the datr of last year's shot. As a result, every year I have to get my shot a few days earlier. I used to go for my shot at the beginning of October but now I get it the middle of September to comply. I'd rather wait a couple of weeks.

drummerboy said:

I got mine at Walgreens on Morris Ave this morning. Pretty easy.

But then I realized that I think I already got a flu shot a couple of months ago.  Either that or a shingles booster.
LOL

Gotta check with my PCP.

i doubt the flu shot was available a couple months ago.  they say it loses effectiveness at about 6 months (could be a little sooner or later), some experts were saying you should wait until mid october so it lasts longer into the spring.

yeah, you're right. Just checked my records online and what I got was a shingles booster.

I usually get it after Halloween but before Thanksgiving so that it will last the whole flu season as there is often a second peak in March.  This year they said to get it early due to Covid, so I did.  Now they’re saying NOT to get it too early because coverage during March is again an issue.  Well too ******* late now.  I wish they would release guidelines after they’ve made up their damned minds  tongue wink

Spon-I got mine early also. Not based on anything, I was concerned there might be shortages once flu season kicked in in earnest. My plan is to see how things go (flu season might be milder with covid precautions in place?), and then have another shot in Jan if it seems necessary. I was told that in theory I shouldn't need it, but it also wouldn't be harmful to have a second one.

Wait, I got mine last week, does that mean it won't last until March? Do these things expire after 5 months?

Berkeley mentions maybe a milder flu season with Covid precautions in place, and I have wondered about that. With masks and sanitizing and social distancing, shouldn’t we also have less colds and strep and pink eye, and flu? Moms are talking about children not even having had runny noses since March. (Will we pay the price later because we’ve starved our immune systems of “needed” bacteria? Probably...)

Heynj said:

Berkeley mentions maybe a milder flu season with Covid precautions in place, and I have wondered about that. With masks and sanitizing and social distancing, shouldn’t we also have less colds and strep and pink eye, and flu?

Yes. As was seen in South Africa:

Flu was all but eliminated in South Africa this year. Coronavirus is to thank.

But get the flu shot anyway. It may be unlikely but still possible. Does anyone really want to chance flu and COVID-19 at the same time? Not me.

berkeley said:

Spon-I got mine early also. Not based on anything, I was concerned there might be shortages once flu season kicked in in earnest. My plan is to see how things go (flu season might be milder with covid precautions in place?), and then have another shot in Jan if it seems necessary. I was told that in theory I shouldn't need it, but it also wouldn't be harmful to have a second one.

I don’t think there is any physical harm in getting a second one in late winter, but I doubt insurance will cover it.  One person is one thing, but as a family of five paying for a second round of shots out of pocket will add up fast 

wouldn't it be a wild idea that flu shots, even 2nd shots in January were provided for free to everyone?  to help manage dealing with covid.  after all, if less people have flu, than there will be more resources for covid.

jmitw said:

wouldn't it be a wild idea that flu shots, even 2nd shots in January were provided for free to everyone?  to help manage dealing with covid.  after all, if less people have flu, than there will be more resources for covid.

It's a great idea. Even without COVID-19, Flu is a big annual hit in medical costs and lost productivity and wages. If the federal government paid for it, it would probably make the money back in increased tax revenue from all the people who didn't miss work, and all the Medicare and Medicaid people who didn't have to go to their doctor. Or ended up in the hospital.

But our health system still hasn't figured out how to prioritize preventive medicine.

Plus there are a lot of idiots in this country who think getting the flu vaccine is dangerous or bad in some other way.

Our pediatrician does flu shots for parents.  I would get one regardless, but the convenience of getting ours when we bring the kids in is great.  She does this because she found she can get more parents to get it if they don’t have to go out of their way and they’re already at the pediatrician’s office anyway.  Even though she doesn’t treat adults, she said that so far she’s never had insurance deny coverage for an adult’s flu shot yet.

people who have medicare/medicaid can already get 1 shot per year free...its the uninsured that can't even get that without shelling out $44.  With insurance covering many, widespread free clinics for the rest is too good of an idea for the government to do.

My concern with the shot has been pain.  I can barely sleep due to chronic pain and trying to position myself in a less painful way....last thing I need is a sore arm I can't lay on.  I tried getting the mist one year, couldn't find anyone that had it...even tried calling the company that makes the mist...and they said they didn't know what doctors/urgent care stocked it.

I guess I didn't make myself clear.  Does anyone know if the Maplewood Bd. of Health, or other agency, will be giving flu shots this year?

Thanks

I got mine today (from my dr during my annual physical)

1st time ever 

Apollo_T said:

I guess I didn't make myself clear.  Does anyone know if the Maplewood Bd. of Health, or other agency, will be giving flu shots this year?

Thanks

Last year it was announced in October. The township website does say:

"TOWNSHIP INFLUENZA CLINIC
Flu Shots & Shingles (Varicella) Shots

The Health Department conducts influenza vaccination clinics for adults age 18 and over each fall. Seniors 65 years and older are free. For all others a $20 fee will be charged.

For the Flu shot schedule, please check the Township Calendar."

It is not currently on the Township Calendar.

I recommend calling  (973) 762-8120, ext. 4300 to talk to someone in the Health Department for a better answer to your question.

@mrincredible 

Thanks so much your spot on reply.  I’ll follow up tomorrow.

Resurrecting this topic to ask if anyone has gotten a flu shot from the town yet?  

There is still no information about flu shots on the township calendar. My mother is a senior who usually gets her flu shot through the town, but she has called a few times only to be told that they have not received the vaccines yet.  Wondering if anyone's heard anything else? TIA.

Apollo_T said:

Thanks

Yes.  Flu vaccine is on back order.  Health Department expects they will get their shipment in early November.  It is most likely that the vaccine clinic will be a variation of the drive through model.  Vaccine is not the senior strength dose.  If senior strength is important to you, consider going to your doctor or pharmacy for the shot.

The Village Green posted that there will be a drive-thru Flu shot clinic at Maplewood Town Hall on Nov 11. (But doesn't say what time, and I can't find it on the Twp website)

https://villagegreennj.com/health-wellness/maplewood-drive-thru-flu-clinic-november-11/?source=newsletter

Joan Crystal posted this yesterday on MOL. November 11 from 1 -3 ,a drive-thru in back of municipal building. I couldn't find it on the town site either.

jmitw said:

people who have medicare/medicaid can already get 1 shot per year free...its the uninsured that can't even get that without shelling out $44.  With insurance covering many, widespread free clinics for the rest is too good of an idea for the government to do.

$25 at CVS with coupon. If you don't have a coupon ask the pharmacist to apply it anyway.

Free at Town Hall if you are age 65 or older.  Age 18 -64 cost is $20.  Must be at least 18 years old to get the shot at Town Hall.

From the town website:

TOWNSHIP INFLUENZA CLINIC
Flu Shots & Shingles (Varicella) Shots

The Health Department conducts influenza vaccination clinics for adults age 18 and over each fall. Seniors 65 years and older are free. For all others a $20 fee will be charged.

For the Flu shot schedule, please check the Township Calendar.

I don't see it on the township calendar.  Veterans Day Ceremony which is being held at 11 am on November 11th at the same location as the flu clinic is not on the township calendar either.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.