Dow Jones Down 1,175 points

Obama's fault? Or Hillary's? Maybe it's Comey's fault, or McCabe's. Oh, I know—Adam Schiff, his new target. Yeah, that's the ticket! It's Adam Schiff's fault.

By the way, it dove more than 100 points in the last two minutes.

It was down 1,500 at one point.  

but clearly this is the fault of the democrats.  once they swallow the kool-aid all will be ok,

"Sarah Huckabee Sanders will soon clarify that the Dow only briefly volunteered with the campaign in a low level role and Trump’s never even heard of it." 

Thank god we have a president who is capable of projecting calm reassurance when bad things happen.

bub said:

Thank god we have a president who is capable of projecting calm reassurance when bad things happen.

He practically blamed it on the treasonous Democrats today. 

It's all fake news. Actually, the stock market was up today.

#trumpbumptotrumpslump

Completely Bill Clinton’s fault.

On second thought, probably Jimmy Carter's fault.

NIKKEI  21,218.61Price decrease1,463.47 (6.45%)

today + tomorrow will wipe out anything gained over the last year. Sucks. Especially since I was going to sell and re- allocate then got busy and forgot two weeks ago. Kicking myself.

Dow futures  - 700

S and P futures  - 65 

Based on fair value

Looks as if losses are accelerating  - they had come back over the evening

For long-term investors, this is just noise. Markets go up and down over time, but the long-term trend will (hopefully) continue to be upward. We thought the world was ending in 2008-2009, and yet, here we are.

Set an allocation you're comfortable with, and stick to it. Never put money in stocks that you may need within four or five years.

I understand the rules. It still sucks.

unicorn33 says:  "Never put money in stocks that you may need within four or five years."

For curiosity - would you apply this rule to IRAs/401(k)s that are in the "required minimum distribution" phase?  So far, we've just been leaving the $ sit where it was till required to withdraw, and sometimes even putting the distribution back into the same investment, but a nonqualified account....

mjc said:

unicorn33 says:  "Never put money in stocks that you may need within four or five years."

For curiosity - would you apply this rule to IRAs/401(k)s that are in the "required minimum distribution" phase?  So far, we've just been leaving the $ sit where it was till required to withdraw, and sometimes even putting the distribution back into the same investment, but a nonqualified account....

If that's what you're doing with your RMDs it sounds like you aren't needing the money (?)  If so, then it is fine where it is.  If not, you should be able to rebalance within the IRA/401(k) account, right?

The same principle would apply. The RMD would force you to liquidate some money in equities at a time when you might not want to. One option, as you suggest, is to simply then reinvest it in the same equities, but outside the retirement account. The other option is to look ahead a number of years, estimate what your RMDs will be, and then move that money out of equities. Of course, the question is where to move it to. Bonds may also go down, though not as much. Money market would be safe, but would pay less than the rate of inflation. No simple answer. 

mjc said:

The market was due for a correction.  Trump's claim of 30,000 in the video was either incredibly stupid or just making silly claims for better PR.

Thanks, sac and unicorn, that makes sense.  (sac, thinking way more clearly at 12:45 than I was at 12:29, all hinges on what "need" means

No argument from me. Watching the numbers change on paper is painful., especially since we've been spoiled for a long time. There's also that "loss aversion" factor (I believe that's the term used), whereby people are much more emotionally/psychologically affected by losses than by gains. The other aggravating factor is that both stocks and bonds are getting hit, leaving investors without very good short-term choices.

conandrob240 said:

I understand the rules. It still sucks.

Dow Jones Indl Average is down YTD.  MAGA!

Cadet BoneSpurs Trump constantly bragged when the Dow was going up. Now he's silent.

President Trump often takes credit for a rising stock market, but will he shoulder the blame when it takes a dive?
The president has not hesitated to imply his policies are driving the bull market and the growing economy. In his State of the Union address last week, Trump touted Wall Street's success early in his speech.
As Axel Merk, president of Merk Investments, said, “Let Trump take credit, but he’ll also own it should the market ever tank.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/02/05/trump-stock-market-credit/308627002/ 

Will he shoulder the blame when there is a dive? No. Cowards don't do that.

There is no question that Trump watches the market and when the market has a negative reaction to his actions he makes an adjustment.  It's happened with Korea, trade and other issues. It will work until it doesn't. 

If we are going to keep this thread going months later, can the OP please change the title.  I have a heart attack every time I see it at the top of the threads

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.