Dangerous intersection: Springfield and Valley

sac said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall

Well aware of that area, I used to go there every weekend to a model shop when I was a nipper. I meant I thought the name of this area came from the building, which also supposedly served as a local jailhouse for a while. I could be wrong, however, and I'm more than happy admit I am if true.

BTW there was a thread on this very topic, including some of the same people, here on MOL back in 2009.

https://summit.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/what-can-you-tell-me-about-vauxhall?page=next&limit=

Some insight there, but in general, it's really hard to actually know for sure where the name came from.


Don't know why the people on those blocks don't lobby for "local traffic only" signs.   I try to use only Vauxhall and Springfield to go back and forth even though I know its easier to cut through those little neighborhood streets. I will only use those side streets when the traffic is really terrible on the big avenues.


Arcadia currently has a left-turn lane directing traffic onto it from Springfield (as a cut through to Valley). So I don't think that street would be able to get a 'local-traffic only' sign.


sprout said:

Arcadia currently has a left-turn lane directing traffic onto it from Springfield (as a cut through to Valley). So I don't think that street would be able to get a 'local-traffic only' sign.

That really surprised me when it was added.  I have a feeling that the residents in that neighborhood do not have much clout with the Union Twp "powers that be".  Sad for them.


sac said:

sprout said:

Arcadia currently has a left-turn lane directing traffic onto it from Springfield (as a cut through to Valley). So I don't think that street would be able to get a 'local-traffic only' sign.

That really surprised me when it was added.  I have a feeling that the residents in that neighborhood do not have much clout with the Union Twp "powers that be".  Sad for them.

I think the solution to diverting traffic away from the local sidestreets is to improve the traffic flow through the Valley/Springfield intersection. It sounds like we all agree it could be much better.


sac said:

sprout said:

Arcadia currently has a left-turn lane directing traffic onto it from Springfield (as a cut through to Valley). So I don't think that street would be able to get a 'local-traffic only' sign.

That really surprised me when it was added.  I have a feeling that the residents in that neighborhood do not have much clout with the Union Twp "powers that be".  Sad for them.

I wonder if they picked Arcadia since only has one or two houses on the West side of the street as Davis Park takes up most of that side. It looks like only 8 houses total on that street (that aren't also on Springfield or Valley), so it may have been a conscious effort to put the left-turn lane on a cross-street with the least impact to residents (and/or for the town to get the least push-back from residents).


If Arcadia (which I never would have talked about publicly, sigh, but cat's out of the bag I guess) ever gets a local traffic only sign, I'll go back to using the East Hanover Home Depot -- that left turn from Valley is just that awful. Can't understand why there's not a jump light to make a left turn there actually possible. Used to assume it was because someone was making money off the red light camera tickets, but those have been gone for a very long time. 


Edited to correct for Union County - here is the website for Union County with email info.  

https://ucnj.org/engineering-public-works-facilities-management/bureau-of-traffic-safety-maintenance/

 Perhaps someone else can find better information.

---------

Do people think an online petition would have any impact?


EBennett said:

I researched how to get a traffic light installed and did not find anything directly applicable to Essex County. Perhaps someone else would be more successful.

Since our Essex County Executive took such pride in the new light on Valley, maybe contacting him would have an impact.https://essexcountynj.org/essex-county-executive-divincenzo-announces-new-traffic-signals-are-installed-at-intersection-of-valley-street-and-south-pierson-road-in-maplewood/

I've sent an email to joedi@admin.essexcountynj.org that there should be a left turn signal and asking when was the last time that intersection was the subject of a traffic study.

Do people think an online petition would have any impact?

that’s union county though. 


Isn't it in Union County?


Yikes - you are right. I'll look up Union County.


Maybe, individual traffic lights at the Springfield valley jug handle? Kinda like what west orange has on northfield/ eagle rock ave/mount pleasant ave??? All those intersections have one green light at a time, so making left turns are easier. 


kenboy said:

If Arcadia (which I never would have talked about publicly, sigh, but cat's out of the bag I guess) ever gets a local traffic only sign, I'll go back to using the East Hanover Home Depot -- that left turn from Valley is just that awful. Can't understand why there's not a jump light to make a left turn there actually possible. Used to assume it was because someone was making money off the red light camera tickets, but those have been gone for a very long time. 

You would go all the way to East Hanover to avoid using Springfield Avenue?  (You can go up to SA via Vaux Hall Road instead of all the way down Valley Street.  Not wonderful, but certainly not as much effort as going to Rt 10.)


sac said:

You would go all the way to East Hanover to avoid using Springfield Avenue?  (You can go up to SA via Vaux Hall Road instead of all the way down Valley Street.  Not wonderful, but certainly not as much effort as going to Rt 10.)

I may be exaggerating slightly. Though it's really only about 5 minutes further from where I am, and doable without touching Rt. 10.


kenboy said:

I may be exaggerating slightly. Though it's really only about 5 minutes further from where I am, and doable without touching Rt. 10.

I did it when East Hanover Home Depot was the only one around. 20 minutes. Start at glen avenue… plus it’s a scenic route. We had Rickels and Channel in Union, but Home Depot blew them all away… 


Jaytee said:

kenboy said:

I may be exaggerating slightly. Though it's really only about 5 minutes further from where I am, and doable without touching Rt. 10.

I did it when East Hanover Home Depot was the only one around. 20 minutes. Start at glen avenue… plus it’s a scenic route. We had Rickels and Channel in Union, but Home Depot blew them all away… 

early Home Depot really was a revelation.


drummerboy said:

early Home Depot really was a revelation.

It sure was. I remember getting this postcard in the mail with a 10% discount for the grand opening of the first Home Depot store in New Jersey. The address was Murray rd in east Hanover, no gps back then, I drive right past the store on rte 10, turned around and on my way back eastbound I saw it out the corner of my eye. And I always went there afterwards. Now it appears to be the smallest Home Depot store ever. But they have the best plants, I still go there for gardening stuff. 


I have to admit that for a while I was skipping Home Depot to shop at Lowes on Morris Ave, just as a personal choice. Lowes seems to have what I actually want, rather than something similar but not quite but I’ll get it because I’m already at Home Depot.


Home Depot has long hours, but otherwise I avoid it when I can.  Paint from Sherwin Williams is better, and the electrical supply house in Maplewood has far better selection and prices for electrical supplies.   Jaeger has better lumber and a better molding selection.  I have been happy, though, with HD windows.  



DanDietrich said:

Jaytee said

I go down valley and make a left on Arcadia then a right on Springfield to get to Home Depot. 

i do this as well. I don't think I've ever made a left at that light as long as I have lived here.

Same. 

That left turn onto Springfield Avenue is batshit crazy. Period.

And I make the same cut-through when I'm heading east. 


kenboy said:

sac said:

You would go all the way to East Hanover to avoid using Springfield Avenue?  (You can go up to SA via Vaux Hall Road instead of all the way down Valley Street.  Not wonderful, but certainly not as much effort as going to Rt 10.)

I may be exaggerating slightly. Though it's really only about 5 minutes further from where I am, and doable without touching Rt. 10.

It's a much bigger difference for me, as I live between Prospect Street and Springfield Avenue.


I've never turned left there and thus never notice you could do so.  I always approach the stores driving west on Springfield.


In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Advertisement

Advertise here!

Rentals

Featured Events