COVID-19

nohero said:

Advice from the official twitter account of the Great State of New Jersey.

If they were REALLY serious they'd allow self pumping gas stations. Its a bit hard to keep six feet from the attendant. They're making so sure you keep distance in stores, keep parks closed, but not gas stations. Inept. Not that high level politicians like Murphy notice considering its usually their gofers who fill their vehicles.

And the attendants handle your card. You may as well be shaking their hands. It takes only five seconds of contact to transfer about 1/3 of the contact virus.

If you're allowed to self pump you can put on gloves and take them off when done. At least no one is in your face.

BG9 said:

nohero said:

If they were REALLY serious they'd allow self pumping gas stations. Its a bit hard to keep six feet from the attendant. They're making so sure you keep distance in stores, keep parks closed, but not gas stations. Inept. Not that high level politicians like Murphy notice considering its usually their gofers who fill their vehicles.

And the attendants handle your card. You may as well be shaking their hands. It takes only five seconds of contact to transfer about 1/3 of the contact virus.

If you're allowed to self pump you can put on gloves and take them off when done. At least no one is in your face.

I posted this last week.  It may seem a little goofy but it was easy and it worked. 

bub

Other practical concerns - COVID-19

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:53am
My wife came up with this and I just did it. With NJ rule against pumping your own gas, it seems that you can't do touchless paying here (and you'd still have to touch the nozzle etc.). So we put a twenty dollar bill in an envelope, wrote "$20 regular" on it, and and let it hang from the back window. Opened it a crack to let the attendant take it. I'm sure he was happy for one less face to face transaction with a driver giving him a credit card and talking at him. BTW I didn't stick the envelope in the window til I was almost at the station so it wouldn't blow away.Even if it seems kooky, it's low hanging fruit so why not pick it.

interesting visual

drummerboy said:

interesting visual

It looks like N95 masks work. 

And using the crook of your elbow appears to do better than the mask at the end of this video:

BG9 said:

nohero said:

That would be awesome if they finally changed the f##king ridiculous law requiring full-service gas stations.

"A new COVID-19 test developed at Rutgers University that uses saliva samples instead of nasal and throat swabs has gotten emergency approval by the Food and Drug Administration, and is expected to be put out into the field as early as Wednesday."

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/a-new-rutgers-coronavirus-test-based-on-a-simple-spit-into-a-tube-will-come-to-a-nj-testing-site-this-week.html

cramer said:

"A new COVID-19 test developed at Rutgers University that uses saliva samples instead of nasal and throat swabs has gotten emergency approval by the Food and Drug Administration, and is expected to be put out into the field as early as Wednesday."

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/a-new-rutgers-coronavirus-test-based-on-a-simple-spit-into-a-tube-will-come-to-a-nj-testing-site-this-week.html

Saw that this morning. That's a relief. I couldn't even imagine waiting in a long line of cars for someone to do a test which looked like it could accidently hit my brain. OK so I'm easily spooked. 

The pin prick test to see if you already have antibodies appeals to me as well. A pretty offbeat theory from a doctor in Poland raises the question of antibodies existing in cat owners.  As many cats are normally exposed to a type of corona virus and develop antibodies the doctor suggested it might exist in those who live with them.

Obviously I have an agenda and would love for everyone to rush out to adopt a cat.

By the way, a positive outcome of this virus, is an uptick in fostering and adoption. I got one cat adopted to a wonderful Maplewood resident with complete social distancing. After she agreed to give the kitty a foster trial, I put said cat into a sterilized carrier. and keeping our distance she took the kitty home, kept me updated with conversations and videos. Slow introduction to her cats and it was a hit of FB.

Shelters such as Associated Humane in Newark are doing adoptions and fostering through appointments and online applications.

So dogs are going for long walks with trial adopters, Nursing felines trapped outdoors are being cared for by families with plenty of time on their hands, found bottle babies are being fed, colony caretakers in home made protective gear are feeding their crews and the Trap Neuter Return groups are out  and scrambling to find vets to service them.

Aisling, now Nilofar had found a home.

Life will find a way.

Good to see, especially since the swabs for the current test are made by one company in Maine, which has expanded capacity to the limit but still can’t keep up with demand (according to a story I heard this morning).  

So many possible supply choke points for each test and procedure....

Morganna, the feline coronavirus isn't the virus for this disease and won't confer immunity. That's a bit like hoping last year's flu will protect you from Hendra virus; short answer is nope. 

(Apparently vets here knew about the feline virus for some time; a friend's kitty has it and is on constant meds for it)

joanne said:

Morganna, the feline coronavirus isn't the virus for this disease and won't confer immunity. That's a bit like hoping last year's flu will protect you from Hendra virus; short answer is nope. 

(Apparently vets here knew about the feline virus for some time; a friend's kitty has it and is on constant meds for it)

Yes I've worked with the common coronavirus in cats. This was a theory from a doctor in Poland. Our shelter because of their misunderstanding of the virus, touted the rare cases where it morphed into FIP causing a room full  of cats to sit there for years. I had to personally explain it to adopters, while trying to save the cats as the town shut the shelter down. Most cats have been exposed to coronavirus and it does them little harm. 

This is the article. https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/polish-chinese-medics-discuss-coronavirus-11526

Re-opening efforts:

Germany wants to allow some shops to reopen next week while keeping social distancing rules in place, said two participants in a video conference on Wednesday between Chancellor Angela Merkel and the governors of Germany’s 16 states.

Retailers whose shops are up to 800 sq metres would be allowed to open from next week, along with car dealerships and bookstores. Schools would open from May 4, initially for students in their final year of high school or primary school.

Governor Murphy saying maybe June or July to reopen NJ. Yikes.

Jaytee said:

Governor Murphy saying maybe June or July to reopen NJ. Yikes.

We can open early and in the summer start over.

Some positive news.

Captain Tom Moore's 100th Birthday Walk for the NHS

Captain Tom Moore is fundraising for NHS Charities Together. Donate on JustGiving

cramer said:

Andrew Brooks, chief operating officer of RUCDR and professor in the School of Arts and Sciences Department of Genetics, was just interviewed on CNBC. He said that approval for saliva samples to be taken in the home is now being looked at by the FDA. A prescription by a physician would be required and the sample would have to be sent to a lab.   

Whatever happened to that 5 minute test from Abbot?

I really hope landlords are being kind to tenants during this period.

jamie said:

I really hope landlords are being kind to tenants during this period.

seems like there are a lot of landlords being ah's about it.

https://time.com/5820634/evictions-coronavirus/

New test is great, still needing certain criteria to get access to it is not great. We’re still a ways off from being able to lift restrictions, and having widespread testing is a must before we can even consider it

And here we have the stupids of America expressing their rights. Notice the lack of masks or social distancing. Live Free or Die. grrr

The second photo is our zombie horror scene of the infected are trying to break in: 

Shouldn’t that read Live Free And Die  question

Cuomo extended the stay at home until May 15.

Murphy just announced as well.  I'm sure CT will do this also.  I have a feeling they wanted to get this news out prior to the 3pm governor's meeting with Trump.

BG9 said:

And here we have the stupids of America expressing their rights.

I also saw some of these same protesters being interviewed, apparently outraged at not being able to jet ski, buy paint, or get their hair roots colored for at least several more weeks.

These folks combined with similar "points of view" being feed to their viewers on Fox AND the many pastors insisting on holding services, it seems ironically like Darwinism in action among all of Trump's main constituents. 

drummerboy said:

I believe they sent each state enough for under 200 tests...

drummerboy said:

Remember when testing stations were going to be set up in the parking lots of Target and Walmart nationwide?  Those were the days......

I posted about this in another thread but Dr. Birx has really become a mouthpiece for Trump. She refuses to give straight answers about testing. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/04/17/entire-april-16-coronavirus-town-hall-part-2-sot-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/entire-cnn-april-16-coronavirus-town-hall/ 

More solid, positve news about Remdesivir has been coming out in recent days, e.g. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/health/coronavirus-remdesivir-trial/index.html

If this holds, could be a significant game changer on the medical and economic fronts.  Fingers crossed.

Moderna received $483 million from the U.S. government to accelerate development of a COVID-19 vaccine. 

"By investing now in our manufacturing process scale-up to enable large scale production for pandemic response, we believe that we would be able to supply millions of doses per month in 2020 and with further investments, tens of millions per month in 2021, if the vaccine candidate is successful in the clinic,"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-effort-to-get-483-million-in-federal-funding-2020-04-16

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.